Carolina WR Devin Funchess unlikely to be extended

3 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

if its a one year prove it deal and they are most likely not gonna spend all the cap then does it really matter?

I could take him or leave him. but if its only one year toss him a bone and see if he can go up and make some plays.

If you're only signing him to be a warm-body, then what's the point of paying him $10M?

Spend $10M on a free agent if you're so inclined, but spend it on someone that's going to help you win football games.  Remember, you can roll over unused cap space, so it's not going to burn a hole in your pocket.

20 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

I'm actually not advocating for Funchess at all.  I don't think he's the kind of guy that will particularly help this team.

But, if he's coming here at all, the only way I'm okay with it is if he's competing for a WR3-WR4 job, and I'm not paying that guy $10M per year.

Being smart with FA money doesn't mean not paying big contracts, but it does mean spending the money on guys that will be worth it in the long run.

Being smart with FA money means being smart about the position you are in.  We are in a position of having a ton of money and needing, frankly, warm bodies.  When it comes to bringing in FA WRs we need to pay big.  Luckily, we can pay big, so we can also afford to over pay.  

Count me in with the camp that says "for a modest deal, as a PIECE of the offense and not THE answer, sure, sign him". 

As long as he's only counted on as a complimentary piece and not signed to be the #1 receiver, and as long as the deal isn't for a ton of money, then great, bring him in.

Though I'm sure there will be a long line of "ANOTHER CAROLINA GUY?!?!" whiners and criers, I can at least see the logic in signing Funchess (under the conditions listed above).

4 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Being smart with FA money means being smart about the position you are in.  We are in a position of having a ton of money and needing, frankly, warm bodies.  When it comes to bringing in FA WRs we need to pay big.  Luckily, we can pay big, so we can also afford to over pay.  

Yes, we can...but why overpay for a guy that frankly doesn't offer much upside?

That's the point.

If you're going to overpay significantly, do it for a guy that offers more than Funchess. Pay $15M for Golden Tate, or $12M for Adam Humphries, or $12M for Tyrell Williams.  Any of those guys has more to offer in the upside department than Funchess IMO.

• Like (+1) 4

Don’t want this guy unless he decided to get all jacked up and become the best run blocking tight end in the league. At that point, he might be able to beat out croom for 3rd TE

hes so bleh

Edited by NewEra

8 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Yes, we can...but why overpay for a guy that frankly doesn't offer much upside?

That's the point.

If you're going to overpay significantly, do it for a guy that offers more than Funchess. Pay $15M for Golden Tate, or $12M for Adam Humphries, or $12M for Tyrell Williams.  Any of those guys has more to offer in the upside department than Funchess IMO.

Yeah, that's fair.  The only caveat I would make is that Funchess is the only guy you can get on a 1 year prove it deal.  I think the others will require multi year deals. Looking forward, we do not have as much free cap space as it looks now.   

• Like (+1) 1

I don’t see much of a chance that Buffalo doesn’t at least make an offer for Funchess. Is a free agent at a position of need and has the Carolina connection. Also seems like a team first guy based on the interviews I’ve listened to. Looks like he would check enough boxes for Beane to put an offer in. 

2 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

He’s not good.  This would be Kelvin Benjamin 2.0 but he’s less talented.  Honestly, he should bulk up and be a TE.  He’s too slow to make it as a receiver.  Heard he’s a great guy though.

I admittingly haven’t watched much of his tape. Does he really play that slow? He ran a 4.47 40 at the combine just 4 years ago.