126 members have voted

1. 1. Which Ex Bills HC Deserves a Second Chance

• Gregg Willams
    • Mike Mularkey
    • Dick Jauron
    • Perry Fewell
    • Chan Gailey
    • Rex Ryan

The OP must be somewhat younger as my rank order would be Saban #1, Knox #2, and Phillips #3.  Yes, Saban was befor my time but he did put together a team that won two AFL Championships.  Knox turned around this team from losers in the 70’s who never won once against the Dolphins for 10 years (sound familiar -Pats) until Knox.  Then Ralph had to pull the cheap card and couldn’t take the ego of Knox who by the way turned before us the Rams to a great record.  If Phillips wasn’t overridden by Wilson and placed Flutie on the bench for the Titans playoff game, and Rob Johnson who lost for the first two games of the season, and Flutie got us in the playoffs.  I’m not saying he is Peyton Manning, with that #1 defense we could have gone deep, maybe even to the SB against the Rams.

For those old enough, remember we had Bryce Paup, Marcellus Wiley, Chris Speilman, and big old Teddy Washington.  That had to be our best defense in Bills history even better than the SB years, and had Wade’s stamp all over it.  That man knows how to run a defense.  The others, no way, not one of them.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

putting Wade on that list makes it too easy, IMO.  

Yes that is my thought.  People don’t understand there’s a reason why I didn’t include Anthony Lynn it Wade Phillips.  That’s because they are easy choices and better options.

The reason I chose though ex Bills coaches is because they aren’t very good.  It makes the decision harder 

2 hours ago, MJS said:

The only answer is Wade Phillips. Why is he not on there?

Why is this so hard to understand!?!?’b

44 minutes ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

Yes that is my thought.  People don’t understand there’s a reason why I didn’t include Anthony Lynn it Wade Phillips.  That’s because they are easy choices and better options.

The reason I chose though ex Bills coaches is because they aren’t very good.  It makes the decision harder 

ok, but then why would anyone want to hire them again. I know I wouldn't want to hire a coach again that was bad. I don't know, kind of a weird poll without the rest of the former coaches, but anyways....

Edited by Patrick_Duffy
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Patrick_Duffy said:

ok, but then why would anyone want to hire them again. I know I wouldn't want to hire a coach again that was bad. I don't know, kind of a weird poll without the rest of the former coaches, but anyways....

I love how I created a poll and people are trying to tell me who I should have added SMH

With a list like that, how could you not have a "None of the above"?  :D  I might bring back Marrone over any of those guys.

If forced to pick from the list, I'd say Mularkey, who always got the short end of the HC stick. After leaving Buffalo, he waited 7 years to get another HC gig. Unfortunately, it was the injury-riddled, Blaine Gabbert led Jaguars, and Mularkey was canned after one season. 3 years later, he got another shot with the Titans, producing two 9-7 seasons. He was canned after the second, despite winning @ KC in the playoffs before losing to the Pats. And, if I remember correctly, there were a couple of questionable calls that helped turn that game in the Pats' favor. Does anyone remember thinking the 2017 Titans were stacked with talent & should've beaten the Patriots?  Me neither. Mularkey didn't deserve to get fired. 

Also, in contrast to the many bums who've trotted into OBD for paychecks over the years, I always respected Mularkey for walking away when he saw things were headed in the wrong direction.  

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, Buftex said:

If these are my only choices, I would say Perry Fewell...he is the only one I am not sure sucks.

Anthony Lynn for me... shame nobody thinks about him...& the man can actually coach better then all of those names on the list... might even be better than our HC too... 

Edited by Scorp83
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

I love how I created a poll and people are trying to tell me who I should have added SMH

It’s nothing negative on you, it’s just that we’re other coaches beyond the ones you chose that you could vote for as they may actually had more time and we’re better coaches.  You’re list is filled with no one probably wants any of them, but I could be wrong.

I think it’s a good poll, but several just want a more complete list, but then again, you can’t include every coach so I understand, “where does it stop”.  

To youre point, why didn’t we include Kay Stephenson.  That’s a joke as he was an abomination.

3 hours ago, Scorp83 said:

Anthony Lynn for me... shame nobody thinks about him...& the man can actually coach better then all of those names on the list... might even be better than our HC too... 

I give him credit...but he did inherit a pretty decent roster.

7 hours ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

You didn't state that in the OP. You just said ex Bills coach. You should have mentioned leaving off the best ones for a reason.

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, formerlyofCtown said:

Wade Phillips wasnt an option so I went with Gregg Williams I would also consider Chan Gailey.  

I think the only one that had a fair shake without a meddlesome owner was Rex.

And Rex took good advantage of the situation.