Jason Witten returning to play for Cowboys

YoloinOhio

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

He signed a 4 year 30 million new deal 2 years ago and quit after 1 year of the deal.  Now he's crawling back to Jerry for 5 million--for a single season.

He doesn't seem too bright.

Anyone who had the misfortune of listening to him last year on MNF could confirm he is not very bright.

13 minutes ago, FLFan said:

Anyone who had the misfortune of listening to him last year on MNF could confirm he is not very bright.

Honestly, his deficits were magnified because to was MNF.   But he's orders of magnitude better than JAGs like Solomon Wilocts.

If Gates can be a shell of him former self at age 38.  I don't see why Witten can't do the same at age 37 as Prescott missed Witten last year.  Still can block, knows how to get open, and has strong hands even if he isn't as athletic.  I really don't see the downside to this.

5 hours ago, TheBrownBear said:

I don't understand why people are bagging on Witten's decision.  Yeah, he lost a step later in his career, but he still put up catch totals of 73/64/77/69/63 in his last five years.  It wasn't like there was a precipitous drop-off in production during his final season.  He's had a full year to rest his body and he's still 2 years younger than Antonio Gates who is still in the league.

His production has dropped in half since 2012, at least yard wise. Will be interesting to see how a year off effects him, good or bad 

7 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Jones reportedly had been begging him and is the one that made the $5m offer. Witten had turned it down before but just accepted. Jones had to want him back before he could choose to do so.

Maybe Jason Garret will sign as the backup QB and they can finally get a real coach.

3 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

This is just bad IMO. I HATE when people unretire. Make a decision and stick with it. 

I keep thinking Dirk Nowitski is going to do it and announce he’s playing another year after his retirement tour. I don’t think Wade will though. 

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I keep thinking Dirk Nowitski is going to do it and announce he’s playing another year after his retirement tour. I don’t think Wade will though. 

Dirk never said he was retiring. Doc the dumbass is the one who started that stupid crap.

There really aren't a lot of good tight ends (although the draft seems to have some good ones).  The Cowboys really missed having Witten on the field.  Even old, he's probably better than their other options.  They'll probably draft another TE in case Witten doesn't work out.

And Witten really was terrible in the booth.

Four pages in, and nobody's said it, so I guess it's on me to do it: even as a shell of his former self, he would've been far and away the best TE on the Bills last year. Yes, if I were Beane I would've signed him for $5 million for one year in a second.

And from the Cowboys' perspective: what? You'd rather have taken a flyer on Charles Clay?  ?