Brandon Beane from the Combine

YoloinOhio

4 minutes ago, Bill Murray said:

is anyone else getting really REALLY excited?  I think these guys are gonna make a bunch of great moves and we should be ready to rock.  Lezzgo!

Cart and horse. I like your enthusiasm though.  ?

So, to sum it up, we will look at all positions at FA, trades, in the draft and already on our roster, there are good and bad players at all positions in FA, trades, the draft and already on our roster, all positions can be found in the draft, trade, FA and already on our roster, you just have to be smart about who you choose in the draft, FA, trades or already on our roster, and we like guys in the past, present, and future, in the draft, trades, FA or on our roster. Got it.

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Kelly the Dog said:

So, to sum it up, we will look at all positions at FA, trades, in the draft and already on our roster, there are good and bad players at all positions in FA, trades, the draft and already on our roster, all positions can be found in the draft, trade, FA and already on our roster, you just have to be smart about who you choose in the draft, FA, trades or already on our roster, and we like guys in the past, present, and future, in the draft, trades, FA or on our roster. Got it.

#Smokescreens

2 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

You forgot “it’s a QB league” and “we’re looking for good football players”

• Haha (+1) 1

Wow, the oldest, highest paid, and lowest producing backfield in the entire league...... We're good. 

I don't think for a second that the offensive line was the only reason the Bills had virtually no running game last year.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/r

b

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/stats/rushing#efficiency

https://www.profootballfocus.com/nfl/players/lesean-mccoy/4976

All 3 of these analytic sites agree that McCoy was awful last year. Contrary to what many here believe, he faced 8 in the box less often than 38 other rbs. Also contrary, he was not good in the passing game at all. In fact out of 53 rbs rated as receivers he was 52nd. 

It will be disappointing if the Bills revamp the o line and still have a lousy running game because they stubbornly stick with the over the hill gang. Especially when you consider they invest more cap in their backfield than any other team. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Aussie Joe said:

What did he say?

I was thinking that if Philips hasn’t signed a new deal by now that it’s likely he is gone..

Not at all. This is the earliest his agent can even gauge what his market will be outside Buffalo (illegally over shrimp cocktail at St Elmo’s while at the combine)

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Not at all. This is the earliest his agent can even gauge what his market will be outside Buffalo (illegally over shrimp cocktail at St Elmo’s while at the combine)

I don't think it is a bad idea to let him explore his worth. There are a lot of good to great dl available in fa this year, and he's not one of them.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/nfl/players/jordan-phillips/9485

He was 108th rated dl by pff, basically one of the very worst in the league. Even if you think pff is flawed that is not good at all.

I think it will be a buyers market for dl and the Bills would be dumb to offer him much. He can easily be upgraded in fa or the draft imo.

Edited by Turk71

1 minute ago, Turk71 said:

I don't think it is a bad idea to let him explore his worth. There are a lot of good to great dl available in fa this year, and he's not one of them.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/nfl/players/jordan-phillips/9485

He was 108th rated dl by pff, basically one of the very worst in the league. Even if you think pff is flawed that is not good at all.

It think will be a buyers market for dl and the Bills would be dumb to offer him much. He can easily be upgraded in fa or the draft imo.

Yeah... He probably isn’t going to get as much as he might think...

I’m sure Beane’s offer was low ball but there are plenty of other options in the draft/FA even trade..

I like the idea of offering him a one year deal.. I would like to keep him but think he is one of those guys you want to keep motivated..

3 hours ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

Summary of Beane Press Conference

1. Good Conversations with Jordan Phillips reps

2. Ken Dorsey as QB coach: worked well with Cam. Similarities between Cam and Allen

3. Sleep better in 2019 with QB set. Allen was behind last year since he couldnt get reps with #1 for quite a while. This year TC etc. will be better for Allen

4. No set measures or type for #1 WR. All sizes / shapes just looking for someone Josh Allen can count on.

5. Scouting Combine: Bills have 60+ interviews. Will concentrate on medicals and personality.

6. Would like more people invited to combine. Some disciplined uninvited players still at combine for medical / interviews

7. Metcalf: heck of a career - dont want to put a label on him

8. TE situation: First look at FA, then draft. Look at blocking and receiving. Depth in draft. But some development opportunities for the young TEs.

9. 20 hr rule in NCAA - college teams are signaling to receivers - so receivers are less ready - so evaluation on whether they can correct mistakes

10. Defensive Front has depth in draft. Receivers too. But all round strong draft class.

11. Talked about how Robert Foster developed technically and raved out about his drive. Foster has been around Buffalo a lot (in the offseason as well)

12. Spencer Long: Watched Spencer last year too. Has  experience and versatility. Not slotting him at a spot yet. Is there for competition.

13. About hole on offensive line: we can bring back some people from last year or not. We are focused on OL and there is depth in the draft on Oline.

14. Harrison brought depth last year. Will compete for starting spot. But will be on the look out for a FA as well.

15. RB: another position where they will look. But feel good about Lesean and Chris - though they will add competition if someone good is available.

16. UDFAs good not just at RB (like Lindsay).  Looking to hit on at least one or two later round picks.

17. Tyrod was not a franchise QB. So needed to do trades to get a franchise QB. McD screwed it up a bit by making the playoffs:), but still managed to get Josh Allen. Last year was the best opportunity for a rookie QB.

18. If you dont have a franchise QB, cant have sustained success. That is why McB focused on that first.

Thanks for the summary.  I like it all - now for the execution.

1 hour ago, Aussie Joe said:

What did he say?

I was thinking that if Philips hasn’t signed a new deal by now that it’s likely he is gone..

I would not assume that.  I would assume the Bills and he disagree on his value and I expect once he realizes they are closer than he is to reality, he may well be back.  He will not be a hot commodity but does have some value as a rotational player.  They would be crazy to pay him any other way.

3 hours ago, teef said:

i agree.  i just don't like the idea of shady/ivory being the guys going into next year.  i wouldn't mind if if they used a high pick on a rb at all.

Yep, I'm with you on this. As high as round two is fine with me. I like McCoy and Ivory fine but McCoy really struggled last season and Ivory is best in a rotational role. Keith Ford and Marcus Murphy give nice effort but they're JAGs at the end of the day. RB is pretty deep this year, they should be able to find a guy who can compete for playing time.

• Like (+1) 1