Music to my ears...McD on offense

eball

13 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I'm worried if he still thinks 21 is the magic number. It has to be higher than that now. But in principle, yes, I think he knows you have to score to win.

He said "at least", which means that's at the bottom of the medium, not the average.

13 hours ago, Wayne Cubed said:

Isn't 21 ppg a bottom 10 offense, in the league?

I think his magic number needs to be a bit higher but I like that he admits you have to score to win, an obvious observation.

Again, he said "at least".

20 minutes ago, Hebert19 said:

He said minimum not average.  He wants to score at least 21 every game. 

At least.  Also his last statement was you have to score points to win in this league.  To get hyperbolic about his statement is, again, nitpicking nonsense.

30 minutes ago, MPT said:

Read my first post. Scoring a minimum of 21 points a game (and even far exceeding that number in multiple weeks) wouldn't even guarantee a .500 season. So how am I an idiot for wanting to do better than that? 

Sorry, I didn't think the idea of scoring enough points to make the playoffs would offend you so much.

You’re an idiot because you actually demand that the bar needs to go up in the organization and across the fandom. 

There are some fans who understand this is professional sports where winning is the standard, and other fans will work relentless to manufacture excuses for the newest regime to take over.

I thought your arguments were well presented because they used actual Math (aka FACTS) to them back up. 

Stats over Stories. 

12 hours ago, JESSEFEFFER said:

Scoring "21 points, at least, every game" implies that they score more than that other times.  Therefore, the average is not 21, it has to be higher.  If you have an offense that scores 21 as a minimum during the season, it's pretty darn good and likely averages closer to 30 than 21.  

Thank you!  My God, I was thinking am I the only one who understands that when someone says "at least"  that explicitly implies at the very least and does not mean average?  

2 minutes ago, Magox said:

Thank you!  My God, I was thinking am I the only one who understands that when someone says "at least"  that explicitly implies at the very least and does not mean average?  

McDermott’s plan to get there is hard work, culture, toughness, respecting the football, smarts, process.

Hopefully talent is one of the things he is looking for. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Magox said:

He said "at least", which means that's at the bottom of the medium, not the average.

Again, he said "at least".

If you take all of last year's scores that didn't hit 21 and turn them into 21, we still miss the playoffs. Note that this means we still have 5 scores above 21 and our average PPG is 24. Also note that this means they accomplished their goal every single week and never failed. It's not a winning strategy if you do it perfectly and still don't even make the playoffs or top ten in scoring.

6 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

You’re an idiot because you actually demand that the bar needs to go up in the organization and across the fandom. 

There are some fans who understand this is professional sports where winning is the standard, and other fans will work relentless to manufacture excuses for the newest regime to take over.

I thought your arguments were well presented because they used actual Math (aka FACTS) to them back up. 

Stats over Stories. 

"You have to score points to win in this league".  But you insist on taking anything said by this organization and spin it into a negative. 

Hyperbolic lunacy.

2 minutes ago, Magox said:

I am still both lucid and literate - I’d have preferred if he had said at least 41 points.

I realize that I am, at times, given to Senatorial hyperbole, but put the right talent around Josh Allen, 41 points is a reasonable expectation.

As always, JMHO.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

McDermott’s plan to get there is hard work, culture, toughness, respecting the football, smarts, process.

Hopefully talent is one of the things he is looking for. 

No they don't want talent.  They want to win without talent.  That's why they drafted guys like Allen and Edmunds, because they felt they had no talent.

Why do you hate the Buffalo Bills?

1 minute ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Where are the results oldmanfan? 

They made the playoffs two years ago.  They realized to take the next step they had to get a better QB and drafted him.  They knew they had to clear cap space to get better guys and did so.  That was last year.   This is this year.

Why do you hate the Buffalo Bills, and why continue to comment on a team you hate?

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, Bangarang said:

His actual quote was “you have to be a threat to score 21 points a game”.

That amounts to an average at best scoring team. Hooray

Yea, let's fire everyone!!!!

7 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Its fair to, no doubt.  

BUT:  Lets be real on his offensive output.  

First year he INHERITED that team and a low scoring starting QB.  He spent a year seeing what was here and not here, and in that exploratory year he found a way to break a 17 year playoff drought that no one expected.  

Second year he and Beane understood this team was not ever going to get anywhere significant and we were sitting on what looked to be a very strong QB draft class.  They spent the whole offseason insuring they could get into position to reset the team and find a QB for the future.  They also set their sites on the guy with the biggest ceiling and biggest arm.  You don't go after a QB like that to play conservative football.  Additionally we had to trade an OL (underperforming in terms of his contract and injury issues) and had 2 more retire in all the same offseason, all 3 former pro bowl players.  We had a cap restrictions with dead cap space for them to clean the cap up for our future, and it worked as we have 3rd most this year and the most projected next year.  

So lets not mislabel here that this is McD's offense he built last 2 years.  He didnt build the first one, and year 2 was tearing down the old offense going no where so they can find a QB and build a new offense for the future.  I really do not understand how people are confused by this and somehow blame McD for the offense these first 2 years.  

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!! I really didn't want to take the time to explain the obvious. Coach even said before last season started we weren't going to be as good as the previous season. Just sit back and watch, guys, If there's no improvement on offense this season, let him have it. It's way too early to complain about it. Unless you're a bills fan, I guess.

Edited by Dopey
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

18 hours ago, eball said:

From the combine:

“I know my background was defense, but I’m not a defensive coach who wants to win 9-7 every week,” he said. “I don’t think that’s a healthy way to become a legitimate contender and sustain success. We want to be able to score 21 points, at least, every game. You’re doing yourself a disservice if you’re not building your roster and your team to give yourself a legitimate chance to score 21 points. We used to set goals like holding a team under 17 (per game). How many teams do that anymore? Maybe one team per year. You have to be able to score points in this league.”

This should put to rest any of the comments I've read on this board that McD doesn't "understand" today's NFL or doesn't get it.

So much for the MENSA intelligent Mike Schopp

18 hours ago, eball said:

From the combine:

“I know my background was defense, but I’m not a defensive coach who wants to win 9-7 every week,” he said. “I don’t think that’s a healthy way to become a legitimate contender and sustain success. We want to be able to score 21 points, at least, every game. You’re doing yourself a disservice if you’re not building your roster and your team to give yourself a legitimate chance to score 21 points. We used to set goals like holding a team under 17 (per game). How many teams do that anymore? Maybe one team per year. You have to be able to score points in this league.”

This should put to rest any of the comments I've read on this board that McD doesn't "understand" today's NFL or doesn't get it.

Unfortunately is it better if he gets that but decided not to do it til year 3? 

10 hours ago, MPT said:

You may be astonished to know that some pro-McDermott people think his stated philosophy on scoring is fatally flawed as well. 

You mean the stated philosophy that "you have to build an offense to score points to win consistently in today's NFL and can't just rely on defense?"  :huh:

14 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Myself and many others did. And besides, even if you give him a pass the first time, he had the knowledge that he was terrible the second time, and refused to see it right in front of his face. I'm very much hoping McD and Beane can find several good players in FA, the draft, and trades, and if they do, this could be a pretty good to very good team. But there is nothing, literally nothing, that would make me bet on it. So far, McD is batting about .113 on offense.

Ok, let's all agree the Peterman thing made absolutely no sense.  Thankfully the spell was finally broken.  That said -- it made sense for McD, a coach with a defensive background, to attack the roster from a defensive standpoint first when he arrived.  I think the first two years of his tenure have been a learning process.  He had to learn how to manage an entire team, to run practices and meetings, and then deal with everything on game day.  He hasn't been perfect but he hasn't been awful either.  He picked the wrong guy (Dennison) to run the offense in 2017.  He and Beane botched the QB situation to begin 2018.  I think he has shown a willingness to make the changes needed to start building the offense, however.  He changed OCs after 2017.  This offseason he replaced the WR coach and OL coach -- moves nobody questioned.

This offseason really puts McD and Beane in a position they've never experienced before.  They are flush with cash and draft capital so they can truly go after the players they want.  If they miss with their selections in FA and the draft I'll be questioning their long term tenure just as much as anyone.  But I have hope.

1 hour ago, eball said:

Ok, let's all agree the Peterman thing made absolutely no sense.  Thankfully the spell was finally broken.  That said -- it made sense for McD, a coach with a defensive background, to attack the roster from a defensive standpoint first when he arrived.  I think the first two years of his tenure have been a learning process.  He had to learn how to manage an entire team, to run practices and meetings, and then deal with everything on game day.  He hasn't been perfect but he hasn't been awful either.  He picked the wrong guy (Dennison) to run the offense in 2017.  He and Beane botched the QB situation to begin 2018.  I think he has shown a willingness to make the changes needed to start building the offense, however.  He changed OCs after 2017.  This offseason he replaced the WR coach and OL coach -- moves nobody questioned.

This offseason really puts McD and Beane in a position they've never experienced before.  They are flush with cash and draft capital so they can truly go after the players they want.  If they miss with their selections in FA and the draft I'll be questioning their long term tenure just as much as anyone.  But I have hope.

I think you have that right.  There was a question posed by a WGR poll about which offseason is more important to the Bills future, 2018 or 2019.  Tasker was waffling about it and the reason for that, in my opinion, is  last year's draft was more important, mostly for the draft moves made to get Allen and Edmunds, than this year's but that the sum total of all the offseason moves, draft + FA + long term cap commitments + coaching staff changes(as you mentioned +ST) for this year will be more important to their future.  Last year's dead cap space handicap is converted to bigger risk/reward opportunities for this year. 

One of my favorite movie quotes:

Andy Dufresne in the letter to Red: Remember Red, hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies.

Beane and McD have the picks they wanted and the cap space they wanted.  They have the young QB they wanted and the young MLB they wanted.  Now it's up to them to get more guys they feel will make them a long term championship contender.  It's on them - they do their jobs right they'll own the town, and if not they'll get canned.  As it should be.  But why assume it will be the latter?