Music to my ears...McD on offense

eball

Just now, Kelly the Dog said:

I think he was probably thinking two TDs, a missed extra point, two field goals and a safety.

Great, now Hauschka's missing extra points.

This is getting worse, because I also don't think any team can rely on getting a safety a game. Name me one team that's done that.

If this is true, and nothing suggests it isn't because, after all, this is the interweb, McDermott has lost his mind.

jw

2 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I think he was probably thinking two TDs, a missed extra point, two field goals and a safety.

If the defense doesn’t score, something is wrong! 

I can’t get worked up in the least by these comments. Yes, MORE points. He said AT LEAST 21, so that’s the floor. You can win some games with 21. (We will not win every game... I’m pretty sure.) Hopefully we’re in the 30’s...at least. I’m not going to over-analyze this. To do so is just looking for things to complain about, imo. 

4 minutes ago, john wawrow said:

This is getting worse, because I also don't think any team can rely on getting a safety a game. Name me one team that's done that.

If this is true, and nothing suggests it isn't because, after all, this is the interweb, McDermott has lost his mind.

jw

I was kidding obviously. I think it's just an oversight and not a slight by him, and that he also thinks, as I do, that with two good legs, Haushcka will be fine this year, and the field goal issues of late last year were an aberration, due to injury, and not a trend due to sucktitude.

Now, the return teams and coverage teams is a whole different story. They were awful.  

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, john wawrow said:

jw

I’m putting that missed PAT on the long snapper, unless the kicker has taken a cheap shot. 

2 minutes ago, Augie said:

If the defense doesn’t score, something is wrong! 

I can’t get worked up in the least by these comments. Yes, MORE points. He said AT LEAST 21, so that’s the floor. You can win some games with 21. (We will not win every game... I’m pretty sure.) Hopefully we’re in the 30’s...at least. I’m not going to over-analyze this. To do so is just looking for things to complain about, imo. 

Augie. We're almost into March. March!

The season's right around the corner, well, over there ... and now we need the defense to score every game.

What do you have against Josh Allen?

I think all of us should sit down and parse every word, and over-analyze this. I mean, let's be serious.

jw

1 minute ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I was kidding obviously. I think it's just an oversight and not a slight by him, and that he also thinks, as I do, that with two good legs, Haushcka will be fine this year, and the field goal issues of late last year were an aberration, due to injury, and not a trend due to sucktitude.

Now, the return teams and coverage teams is a whole different story. They were awful.  

Kidding. Kidding?

What's their to kid about Kelly.

The season is like ... checks calendar ... six freaking months away. And they're going to start voluntary workouts in like 6 more weeks. If this doesn't get addressed as soon as possible -- ASAP, as some like to put it -- then the whole thing's doomed.

Absolutely doomed.

jw

2 minutes ago, Augie said:

I’m putting that missed PAT on the long snapper, unless the kicker has taken a cheap shot. 

Great. So now the Bills have to bring in a second long-snapper.

Watch Beane go out and draft one. He'll probably trade up for him, too, I bet.

There goes the season.

Another 17-year drought. I can feel it.

jw

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Wayne Cubed said:

Not to pick nits but the OPs quote is not the exact quote and he doesn’t say “at least 21 points”. He straight up says week in and week out you need to score 21 points.

It’s in the video 2:12

https://www.wkbw.com/sports/bills/joe-b-5-takeaways-from-buffalo-bills-hc-sean-mcdermott-at-the-nfl-combine

Quotes from a press conference vs. an interview with Joe Buscalgia.  Saying something similar, using slightly different words.  Logically, he is not going to stop scoring once they hit 21.  So.......... "at least" or "21 or more" could be inferred from however he chooses to say.it.

7 hours ago, Perk71 said:

With some of these comments, it sure will be interesting when the BILLS finally win the Superbowl.  You gotta know there will be some negative comments, just because...lol

Go Bills!

I've heard around Pittsburgh: "Yeah but we should have won the game by more!"

Edited by 4BillsintheBurgh

1 minute ago, john wawrow said:

Augie. We're almost into March. March!

The season's right around the corner, well, over there ... and now we need the defense to score every game.

What do you have against Josh Allen?

I think all of us should sit down and parse every word, and over-analyze this. I mean, let's be serious.

jw

Yes, March is the heart of the football year, which is why we have these critical topics and conversations! Wait, what’s this thread about again? Oh, yeah, I think safeties are hard to come by, but I think a pick six every week is an entirely reasonable expectation!  ?

I actually don’t remember being this excited in March in a long, long time.  

• Like (+1) 2

With Daboll calling the plays I'm more worried about how many points he thinks we need to score/gm on average than McD, who obviously gets it, and did all along as far as I'm concerned. I do think that we are going to see significant improvement on the O this year--how could we not? An established starting going into the year, draft picks that hopefully will make instant impacts, and a couple of key FA pickups that hopefully all coalesce into being competitive week in/week out! 

12 minutes ago, JESSEFEFFER said:

Quotes from a press conference vs. an interview with Joe Buscalgia.  Saying something similar, using slightly different words.  Logically, he is not going to stop scoring once they hit 21.  So.......... "at least" or "21 or more" could be inferred from however he chooses to say.it.

But what if that's exactly what he meant?

They get to 21, and that's it. He puts in the second- and third-stringers.

Maybe, one day, they score 17. And the next he stops at 24.

What if they get shut out one week, and now he's gotta score 42 just to make the average.

I pretty sure it's especially important on this day ... checks calendar ... Feb. 28, that everything said must be taken seriously and without question.

There's no room for inferringness.

jw

Edited by john wawrow

5 hours ago, Stank_Nasty said:

and there you go talking about average per game. why reference somebodies stat about how they plugged in JUST 21 into each game when that has nothing to do with what MCD said? when somebody says they wanna score a bare minimum of 21 in every game, just going and inserting 21(and nothing more than that) into every game and seeing how it works out is dumb..... becuz the coach referenced it as a minimum. 

whats so hard about this?

I was not talking about an average of 21.

Let's do some hypotheticals. In the Bills' losses last year, they could have scored 37, 30, 21, 21, 27, 24, 31, 22, 26, and 23. That's at least 21 in each game for an average of 26.2. That puts them at 8-8 (and I'm being generous giving them a win against the Dolphins at 22-21). They still would have missed the playoffs and lost by double digits 3 times. 

If, however, McDermott were to say the goal was at least 25 per game, you're now talking about a MINIMUM record of 10-5-1 in those same games.

I just think it sets a bad tone when the coach sets the bar so low. Don't basically tell the media your goal every game is to have at least a mediocre offense and hope it works out sometimes. Do you think Belichick has EVER said he wanted to at least score 21 points every game? Absolutely not. That's a low standard and McDermott should know better.

5 minutes ago, MPT said:

I was not talking about an average of 21.

Let's do some hypotheticals. In the Bills' losses last year, they could have scored 37, 30, 21, 21, 27, 24, 31, 22, 26, and 23. That's at least 21 in each game for an average of 26.2. That puts them at 8-8 (and I'm being generous giving them a win against the Dolphins at 22-21). They still would have missed the playoffs and lost by double digits 3 times. 

If, however, McDermott were to say the goal was at least 25 per game, you're now talking about a MINIMUM record of 10-5-1 in those same games.

I just think it sets a bad tone when the coach sets the bar so low. Don't basically tell the media your goal every game is to have at least a mediocre offense and hope it works out sometimes. Do you think Belichick has EVER said he wanted to at least score 21 points every game? Absolutely not. That's a low standard and McDermott should know better.

which would have been good enough for 10th in the nfl…. this is silly.

9 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

which would have been good enough for 10th in the nfl…. this is silly.

Well yeah, because that was assuming the Bills hit McDermott's minimum every single week. Teams have bad weeks and don't achieve their goals on offense sometimes, which brings their average down.

Your comment only further solidifies my point. You're saying that if the Bills exceed McDermott's stated goal every single week without fail they are still barely scratching a top third offense.

Edited by MPT

11 minutes ago, MPT said:

Well yeah, because that was assuming the Bills hit McDermott's minimum every single week. Teams have bad weeks and don't achieve their goals on offense sometimes, which brings their average down.

Your comment only further solidifies my point. You're saying that if the Bills exceed McDermott's stated goal every single week without fail they are still barely scratching a top third offense.

Nitpicking nonsense.  He is quoted as saying 21 a game minimum and that you have to have good offense to win in the league.  Last year Beane said you have to have a star QB to win.  These guys aren't idiots; they know the NFL and know you have to score points.  Some fans on the other hand.....

14 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Nitpicking nonsense.  He is quoted as saying 21 a game minimum and that you have to have good offense to win in the league.  Last year Beane said you have to have a star QB to win.  These guys aren't idiots; they know the NFL and know you have to score points.  Some fans on the other hand.....

Read my first post. Scoring a minimum of 21 points a game (and even far exceeding that number in multiple weeks) wouldn't even guarantee a .500 season. So how am I an idiot for wanting to do better than that? 

Sorry, I didn't think the idea of scoring enough points to make the playoffs would offend you so much.

13 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I'm worried if he still thinks 21 is the magic number. It has to be higher than that now. But in principle, yes, I think he knows you have to score to win.

He said minimum not average.  He wants to score at least 21 every game. 

1 hour ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Color me astonished that the anti McDermott crowd is at work in this thread.

You may be astonished to know that some pro-McDermott people think his stated philosophy on scoring is fatally flawed as well. 

12 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Smokescreen! 10 defensive draft picks coming right up including a Corner at 9!

You’re saying that to piss me off! ?

I’d have been happier if McD said 41 points...

GO BILLSSS!!!!

19 and 0 baby!!!!! ??????