Music to my ears...McD on offense

eball

4 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

I’m not one to be super picky but yes it’s a little odd that the coach isn’t aware of the amount of scoring it takes to win at his job. You don’t find that odd? It’s like a rocket scientist that doesn’t know the distance to the moon.

I lose sleep over this every night and will continue to do so until rectified! What the heck is going on here, this is the ultimate crisis - pile on TBD!

1 minute ago, Bangarang said:

There have been concerns over McD’s ability to produce a good offense given that his background is all defense. I’m not a HC and I don’t spend 16 hours a day analyzing and studying the game but even I know that when talking about putting up points, 21 per game is just not good enough. 

You missed your calling, how did the NFL not recognize your unique talents and aptitude!

10 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Gotcha.  To be fair though, does he really have to say "at least"?  I mean does anyone really think the target is to be right at 21?  He spent the whole time talking about how important scoring is, so just think people are hanging up too much on the 21 and whether or not he said "at least".  

As I said, it's good that he recognizes that scoring points is essential to winning and isn't just relaying on his defense. I just think that if he was in tune with the league and what was going on with offenses around the league he would have used a number like 25 ppg. 25 ppg puts a team top 10 and 9 of the top 10 scoring offenses last year made the playoffs. It's a minor detail but I think shows he's sort of paying attention maybe not fully aware of what offenses around the league are doing.

Edited by Wayne Cubed

15 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

There have been concerns over McD’s ability to produce a good offense given that his background is all defense. I’m not a HC and I don’t spend 16 hours a day analyzing and studying the game but even I know that when talking about putting up points, 21 per game is just not good enough. 

But you are seeing what you want to see.  Every comment he made was about how important offense and scoring is, not to mention Beane and McD have repeatedly said stuff like this.  But no coach is going to do something stupid and say my 2nd year QB needs to figure out how to score 30+ a game.  So you are taking the one specific 21 number and twisting it to mean the opposite of what he literally just said to fit the narrative you have on McD.  

I think people need to spend more time listening to what people are saying rather than picking a single thing out of a bigger statement and over analyzing it. 

10 minutes ago, Wayne Cubed said:

As I said, it's good that he recognizes that scoring points is essential to winning and isn't just relaying on his defense. I just think that if he was in tune with the league and what was going on with offenses around the league he would have used a number like 25 ppg. 25 ppg puts a team top 10 and 9 of the top 10 scoring offenses last year made the playoffs. It's a minor detail but I think shows he's sort of paying attention maybe not fully aware of what offenses around the league are doing.

Have you considered that he doesn't want to put that kind of pressure on his young QB?  Like I said above, listening to the whole thing is better than over analyzing one part.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, H2o said:

Dear God, are we really "concerned" because McDermott said 21 because didn't check the stat books before his interview and say a higher number? Are you REALLY concerned by this? :rolleyes: He is saying he knows the offense needs to be better. Simple. 

That's great news.

It's his 3rd year in and if he had checked the "stat book" he would know that putting up "at least" 21 ppg was a regular occurrence for years prior...

9 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

But you are seeing what you want to see.  Every comment he made was about how important offense and scoring is, not to mention Beane and McD have repeatedly said stuff like this.  But no coach is going to do something stupid and say my 2nd year QB needs to figure out how to score 30+ a game.  So you are taking the one specific 21 number and twisting it to mean the opposite of what he literally just said to fit the narrative you have on McD.  

I think people need to spend more time listening to what people are saying rather than picking a single thing out of a bigger statement and over analyzing it. 

There’s nothing to over analyze. Our HC said we have to be a threat to score 21 points per game in a league where that amount of production is below average. 

We averaged under 17 ppg last year. Everyone here knows we need to score more points.

McD and BB have stated they want to win championships. That should be the standard set every year and if our 2nd year QB can’t handle the pressure of what it would take to achieve that then he isn’t the guy we want him to be. So yeah, I want my coach to set the bar high and if players can’t handoe then the AAF is looking for players.

2 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

There’s nothing to over analyze. Our HC said we have to be a threat to score 21 points per game in a league where that amount of production is below average. 

We averaged under 17 ppg last year. Everyone here knows we need to score more points.

McD and BB have stated they want to win championships. That should be the standard set every year and if our 2nd year QB can’t handle the pressure of what it would take to achieve that then he isn’t the guy we want him to be. So yeah, I want my coach to set the bar high and if players can’t handoe then the AAF is looking for players.

All good, you just doubled down on the same thing.  We can agree to disagree.  Clearly you have a certain narrative of McD and see evidence to fill that.  I see the scope of what he said, how he coached, and everything both he and McD and Beane said and done to believe the 21 point reference is not the meat of what he is saying.  

• Like (+1) 2

35 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Gotcha.  To be fair though, does he really have to say "at least"?  I mean does anyone really think the target is to be right at 21?  He spent the whole time talking about how important scoring is, so just think people are hanging up too much on the 21 and whether or not he said "at least".  

Fans who point that out are hung up on the fact that the Bills were 29th in scoring in 2017, 30th in 2018, finished 31st in passing both seasons.

So when he throws out a number and talk about the kind of WR he likes, they are looking for something more expansive that the physical, blue-collar run game in snowy Buffalo answer that he gave when he first got here.

It's more than fair to pick apart the quotes from a 15-17 Head Coach who has had that kind of offensive output thus far. 

Now show us that someone in the organization can evaluate wrs, ol, rbs, and tes. Their track record so far is not so good, though they have had limited resources. This year they have the cap to make better choices. I hope they choose wisely.

1 minute ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Fans who point that out are hung up on the fact that the Bills were 29th in scoring in 2017, 30th in 2018, finished 31st in passing both seasons.

So when he throws out a number and talk about the kind of WR he likes, they are looking for something more expansive that the physical, blue-collar run game in snowy Buffalo answer that he gave when he first got here.

It's more than fair to pick apart the quotes from a 15-17 Head Coach who has had that kind of offensive output thus far. 

Its fair to, no doubt.  

BUT:  Lets be real on his offensive output.  

First year he INHERITED that team and a low scoring starting QB.  He spent a year seeing what was here and not here, and in that exploratory year he found a way to break a 17 year playoff drought that no one expected.  

Second year he and Beane understood this team was not ever going to get anywhere significant and we were sitting on what looked to be a very strong QB draft class.  They spent the whole offseason insuring they could get into position to reset the team and find a QB for the future.  They also set their sites on the guy with the biggest ceiling and biggest arm.  You don't go after a QB like that to play conservative football.  Additionally we had to trade an OL (underperforming in terms of his contract and injury issues) and had 2 more retire in all the same offseason, all 3 former pro bowl players.  We had a cap restrictions with dead cap space for them to clean the cap up for our future, and it worked as we have 3rd most this year and the most projected next year.  

So lets not mislabel here that this is McD's offense he built last 2 years.  He didnt build the first one, and year 2 was tearing down the old offense going no where so they can find a QB and build a new offense for the future.  I really do not understand how people are confused by this and somehow blame McD for the offense these first 2 years.  

• Thank you (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Its fair to, no doubt.  

First year he INHERITED that team and a low scoring starting QB...

Ummm the 2016 Buffalo Bills average 24.9 ppg and were 10th in the league.... the year before that they averaged 23.8 ppg.

McDermott has had offenses average 18.9 and 16.8 points per game.

He literally inherited a team that scored more points than he's been able to since being in Buffalo. The one he inherited could put up nearly 25ppg. I think you may need to re look at what he inherited.

Edited by Wayne Cubed

6 hours ago, CommonCents said:

One team averaging 21 ppg made the playoffs. The rest were all over 25 ppg. 

25 is the right number, it would get you into the top ten in scoring. For atleast the past two seasons 21 is in the bottom 1/3 of the league. 

You’re just excited that he knows he needs to score. I get it.

24 is the magic number. 21 every week gets you 8-8. I'm glad he's starting to realize the offense will be the future for the Bills....

4 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Its fair to, no doubt.  

So lets not mislabel here that this is McD's offense he built last 2 years.  He didnt build the first one, and year 2 was tearing down the old offense going no where so they can find a QB and build a new offense for the future.  I really do not understand how people are confused by this and somehow blame McD for the offense these first 2 years.  

Because he got rid of or lost Watkins, Woods, Goodwin and replaced them with Benjamin, Matthews and Kerley. Plus traded up to draft Jones. Got rid of Glenn, and lost Ritchie and Wood, but didn't replace them with anyone. Got rid of Tyrod and replaced him with McCarron who he then got rid of to keep Peterman, the worst QB in history. He did nothing at TE. He signed a terrible OC and had to get rid of him after one year. He signed a terrible OL coach and had to get rid of him after two years. He signed two lousy WR coaches and had to get rid of both of them. He signed a WR to be QB coach and luckily got rid of him. The jury is still out on Daboll and the new guys.

The only good thing that has happened in two years on offense is the drafting of Josh, which is something they HAD to do, and perhaps Robert Foster.  It's been a colossal failure so far. Beane surely played a large part but McD is in charge of this team.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Wayne Cubed said:

Ummm the 2016 Buffalo Bills average 24.9 ppg and were 10th in the league.... the year before that they averaged 23.8 ppg.

McDermott has had offenses average 18.9 and 16.8 points per game.

He literally inherited a team that scored more points than he's been able to since being in Buffalo. The one he inherited could put up nearly 25ppg. I think you may need to re look at what he inherited.

So you think he inherited a good offense?  Come on, you cant for a second believe that.  We had a lethal RUN offense, and that diminished for a NUMBER of reasons.  And McD doesn't run the offense anyway.  

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, BillsPride12 said:

I'd feel better about this if he said 31 instead

How about 41? Even happier?

51?

He is being realistic.

6 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Smokescreen! 10 defensive draft picks coming right up including a Corner at 9!

I hear they have Bill in NYC announce the pick.

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Because he got rid of or lost Watkins, Woods, Goodwin and replaced them with Benjamin, Matthews and Kerley. Plus traded up to draft Jones. Got rid of Glenn, and lost Ritchie and Wood, but didn't replace them with anyone. Got rid of Tyrod and replaced him with McCarron who he then got rid of to keep Peterman, the worst QB in history. He did nothing at TE. He signed a terrible OC and had to get rid of him after one year. He signed a terrible OL coach and had to get rid of him after two years. He signed two lousy WR coaches and had to get rid of both of them. He signed a WR to be QB coach and luckily got rid of him. The jury is still out on Daboll and the new guys.

The only good thing that has happened in two years on offense is the drafting of Josh, which is something they HAD to do, and perhaps Robert Foster.  It's been a colossal failure so far. Beane surely played a large part but McD is in charge of this team.

The UFA signings on the OL have been meh at best. Newhouse, Ducasse, Bodine, not to mention Dawkins perhaps playing a position he's not as suited for.  

The drafting of Allen took a lot of resources to move up from 22 to 12 to 7.  It may well work out in the long run, but right now their offense (as a result of the aforementioned decisions) is not encouraging.  

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

So you think he inherited a good offense?  Come on, you cant for a second believe that.  We had a lethal RUN offense, and that diminished for a NUMBER of reasons.  And McD doesn't run the offense anyway.  

He is the Head Coach. On the headset, listening to every play call. He has final say on Game Day, the statement in bold isn't going to fly. 

The offense has been atrocious under Beane/McDermott thus far. 

So okay, we all accept all the excuses from Year 1 and Year 2. Done. Are we going to get some results in Year 3, or is it too much to ask to climb out of the 30's in offense?

• Thank you (+1) 1