Music to my ears...McD on offense

eball

From the combine:

“I know my background was defense, but I’m not a defensive coach who wants to win 9-7 every week,” he said. “I don’t think that’s a healthy way to become a legitimate contender and sustain success. We want to be able to score 21 points, at least, every game. You’re doing yourself a disservice if you’re not building your roster and your team to give yourself a legitimate chance to score 21 points. We used to set goals like holding a team under 17 (per game). How many teams do that anymore? Maybe one team per year. You have to be able to score points in this league.”

This should put to rest any of the comments I've read on this board that McD doesn't "understand" today's NFL or doesn't get it.

• Like (+1) 29
  • Awesome! (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 3

One team averaging 21 ppg made the playoffs. The rest were all over 25 ppg. 

25 is the right number, it would get you into the top ten in scoring. For atleast the past two seasons 21 is in the bottom 1/3 of the league. 

You’re just excited that he knows he needs to score. I get it.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Haha (+1) 3

Dear God, are we really "concerned" because McDermott said 21 because he didn't check the stat books before his interview and say a higher number? Are you REALLY concerned by this? :rolleyes: He is saying he knows the offense needs to be better. Simple. 

Edited by H2o
  • Like (+1) 27
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4

5 minutes ago, H2o said:

Dear God, are we really "concerned" because McDermott said 21 because didn't check the stat books before his interview and say a higher number? Are you REALLY concerned by this? :rolleyes: He is saying he knows the offense needs to be better. Simple. 

Welcome to TBD!!! 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 6

21 is plenty when you have one of the top defenses in the league. Defense still wins championships. New England Is superbowl champ this year because they stomped those high powered offenses with good defense... Good O will just get you that flashy good record and into the playoffs(would be nice to have this too).. ?

• Like (+1) 2

56 minutes ago, CommonCents said:

One team averaging 21 ppg made the playoffs. The rest were all over 25 ppg. 

25 is the right number, it would get you into the top ten in scoring. For atleast the past two seasons 21 is in the bottom 1/3 of the league. 

You’re just excited that he knows he needs to score. I get it.

Shows how much you know...25 minus 21 equals 4!! How the hell do you expect us to score another 4 points every week?? Answer: Two safeties. #defense

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 6

Scoring "21 points, at least, every game" implies that they score more than that other times.  Therefore, the average is not 21, it has to be higher.  If you have an offense that scores 21 as a minimum during the season, it's pretty darn good and likely averages closer to 30 than 21.  

• Like (+1) 7
  • Thank you (+1) 3

To those who said McD doesn't get it or doesn't want to play in today's NFL with a high-powered Offense and is committed to putting those pieces in place, simply weren't paying attention. McD and Beane had a plan all along, the first year provided some false hope because the Defense played lights out and the caught some lucky bounces (all playoff teams do to some degree) and then their plan was further revealed when Richie and Wood retired leaving really big holes on the line. 

They emphasized their strengths on Defense and knew it was going to take a couple years to put their Offense together. Rome wasn't built in a day. That said, this is the year when we should see true, measurable improvement on Offense and the Defense shouldn't take a big step backwards. They may regress to the mean a little, but we should go top 5 to bottom 5 is my point. There will always be an ebb and flow of teams, even the *Cheats do this because personnel changes so drastically from year to year. But, I think we see a more complete team IMHO - Offense - Defense - Special Teams. 

How well they do with their record...that's another issue altogether. 

• Like (+1) 3

58 minutes ago, H2o said:

Dear God, are we really "concerned" because McDermott said 21 because didn't check the stat books before his interview and say a higher number? Are you REALLY concerned by this? :rolleyes: He is saying he knows the offense needs to be better. Simple. 

I’m not one to be super picky but yes it’s a little odd that the coach isn’t aware of the amount of scoring it takes to win at his job. You don’t find that odd? It’s like a rocket scientist that doesn’t know the distance to the moon.

1 hour ago, H2o said:

This board is truly amazing.  You realize it's the same posters complaining that he used 21 as his number who also believed he wanted to win 9-7 every game, right?

When you say "we need to score at least 21 each game to have a chance at sustained success" you understand today's NFL.  Period.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 4