At what rate do former CFL receivers succeed in the NFL?

2 hours ago, DasNootz said:

Other things that are/were 34.7%
Bush's approval ratings in March of 2007
Body fat on a clinically obese man or woman

The amount that apple production fell in Poland due to adverse weather in 2017 compared to 2016

I think it's clear from this correlation that Duke will be Eric Moulds 2.0

agreed.  there's no way this isn't all connected.  

I think Williams is the next Foster on this team.  Immense talent that under-performed in college for whatever reason.   We got the talent out of Foster in the 1/2 of the season.  If Foster brings that (and hopefully more) all year, and Williams brings it, and our new draft-pick/FA brings it, we could suddenly have a good WR corp.  

I'm optimistic that we will turn around the WR's as quickly as we did the secondary when we added Hyde, Poyer, and drafted White (and got Wallace).  

5 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

I think Williams is the next Foster on this team.  Immense talent that under-performed in college for whatever reason.   We got the talent out of Foster in the 1/2 of the season.  If Foster brings that (and hopefully more) all year, and Williams brings it, and our new draft-pick/FA brings it, we could suddenly have a good WR corp.  

I'm optimistic that we will turn around the WR's as quickly as we did the secondary when we added Hyde, Poyer, and drafted White (and got Wallace).  

I agree, and hope for this outcome.  I think the Bills are closer than most realize, so if this is the case, and the Bills can nail their offensive line, running back, tight end now, then this may be a  great year.

I understand that my original inquiry to start this topic is not immensely relevant, but I wanted to find our more on this and on Williams in general.  I was not really paying attention when the Bills first picked him up.

10 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Well the recipe in Buffalo is always the same. When you don’t have any results, you sell hype.

Can you imagine the hype if Trump had bought the team?  He probably would’ve also hired Rex so it would’ve been really crazy. 

On 2/27/2019 at 8:22 PM, IgotBILLStopay said:

I dont know the statistics but Fred Biletnikoff, Joe Horn and Chad Johnson are the poster boys for erstwhile CFL guys finding success in the NFL.

http://www.espn.com/blog/statsinfo/post/_/id/120284/nfl-stars-with-ties-to-the-cfl

You have it mostly backwards. Johnson and Biletnikoff played in Canada AFTER the NFL

On 2/27/2019 at 8:07 PM, White Linen said:

It's got to be low - like 1% or less low.  

That's a guess. 

Probably a good guess. Spent the last 15 minutes researching on the world wide web, Joe Horn was the only WR name I could find that had any real success in the NFL following the CFL. Was interesting to see that Fred Biletnikoff and Chad Johnson (Ocho-Cinko) ended their careers in the CFL. Remember seeing a CFL game with former first round Bills pick Perry Tuttle five years after his NFL career had ended.

On 2/28/2019 at 8:12 PM, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Well the recipe in Buffalo is always the same. When you don’t have any results, you sell hype.

i missed this gem.  every...single...time.

On 2/27/2019 at 7:22 PM, IgotBILLStopay said:

I dont know the statistics but Fred Biletnikoff, Joe Horn and Chad Johnson are the poster boys for erstwhile CFL guys finding success in the NFL.

http://www.espn.com/blog/statsinfo/post/_/id/120284/nfl-stars-with-ties-to-the-cfl

Biletnikoff and Chad Johnson were the other way around, after their NFL careers they went to the CFL. 

Horn is a really interesting story that I did not know:

College career[edit]

Horn played two years of college football (1991–1992) at Itawamba Community College in Fulton, Mississippi. At Itawamba, he picked up 54 catches for 878 yards and seven touchdowns as a wide receiver and a punt returner. Still unable to qualify for Division I college football, he returned to Fayetteville and worked at a fast food restaurant and at a furniture factory.[1]

Professional career[edit]

Horn didn't play a down of football for two years after leaving college. After playing two years at Itawamba Community College in Fulton, Mississippi, Horn worked at a Bojangles' restaurant in Fayetteville, North Carolina. Down to the final $6.00 in his possession, He spent $3.99 on a Jerry Rice workout from a local Blockbuster and studied the drills and moves Rice performed in the film. Horn then made a highlight video of himself working out and sent the tape to multiple professional teams across America and Canada.

Canadian Football League[edit]

Horn tried out for the CFL Baltimore Stallions and was signed to the practice squad, but never played in a game for the team.[1] Horn also had a minor stint with the Shreveport Pirates.[2] On March 28, 1995, Horn was signed by the Memphis Mad Dogs.[3] With Memphis, Horn played well in 1995, with 71 catches for 1,415 yards, and caught the attention of NFL scouts.

Kansas City Chiefs[edit]

Horn was drafted by the Kansas City Chiefs in the fifth round of the 1996 NFL Draft. He was mainly relegated to special teams and reserve duty at WR during his four seasons with the Chiefs. In his years there, he gained 879 receiving yards yards on 53 receptions with seven touchdowns, starting only two games.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Horn

On 2/27/2019 at 6:50 PM, Mister Defense said:

Just curious, as I was just--finally--reading about Duke Williams' story, including why he was not drafted, and his great CFL stats. Whenever he has played, in junior college, in Auburn, and in the CFL,  he has been great.  Yes,  he got kicked out of Auburn, but when he did so took full responsibility.  And then went on to dominate in the CFL. 

With Foster now, if Duke is good a significant Bills weakness last year will be a big strength.

So what is the success rate of CFL receivers in the NFL?

That's a great question.  I have not seen any stats period, on CFL players transitioning to the NFL, let alone position by position.

My viewpoint is it will be great if Duke Williams succeeds, but I will be disappointed if the Bills don't make several other significant moves at WR.

23 hours ago, CBend said:

Biletnikoff and Chad Johnson were the other way around, after their NFL careers they went to the CFL. 

Horn is a really interesting story that I did not know:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Horn

You got to admire a guy who spends $4.99 of his final $6 on a Jerry Rice workout tape.

• Like (+1) 1