Johnny Football released by Alouettes of CFL **Update** Signed by Memphis of the AAF

17 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

He was banned by the CFL from signing a contract with any CFL team. 

https://www.tsn.ca/cfl-directs-alouettes-to-release-qb-manziel-1.1264993

Wonder what he did? 

And its interesting that Mansfield was the one unwilling to proceed with whatever alternatives were offered. 

And this occurred just before he was due a $75K bonus. That is a lot of blow!

• Haha (+1) 1

This guy is why I can't trust any of Gil Brandt's player assessments. He rated Manziel his #1 overall prospect in 2014. Said he was the best player he'd seen in years and was "easily" the overall best player of that draft. After I saw that I was like, yeesh, can't trust what that dude says anymore, 60 years in the league or not.

10 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

All this. I had such a long debate with people on this board about whether Manziel made Evans or Evans made Manziel. It was obvious to me it was the latter and Evans was my guy in that draft. That said I wish him well in his life. He clearly has some demons that he has battled and is still battling. He just wasn't a guy whose college playing style translated to the NFL.

JFF forever. 

1 hour ago, blacklabel said:

This guy is why I can't trust any of Gil Brandt's player assessments. He rated Manziel his #1 overall prospect in 2014. Said he was the best player he'd seen in years and was "easily" the overall best player of that draft. After I saw that I was like, yeesh, can't trust what that dude says anymore, 60 years in the league or not.

This is why it's such a crapshoot to go on TV and start handing out letter grades for all teams' drafts, as a draftnik---meanwhile, Johnny Football is basically a Ryan Leaf level bust. 

Upon approval of a future contract with Manziel, the CFL issued a statement that said, “Mr. Manziel has been informed he must continue to meet a number of conditions in order to remain eligible. These conditions, while extensive and exacting, remain confidential.”

CFL is a mystery to me. It appears the CFL central office is part of all player contracts--very different from the NFL where players are contracted solely to teams.

If the "conditions" Manziel violated were related to mental health treatment--I hope he gets his act together. Going through life as untreated bipolar (my suspicion) only leads to living on the streets.

5 minutes ago, boater said:

CFL is a mystery to me. It appears the CFL central office is part of all player contracts--very different from the NFL where players are contracted solely to teams.

If the "conditions" Manziel violated were related to mental health treatment--I hope he gets his act together. Going through life as untreated bipolar (my suspicion) only leads to living on the streets.

If that is truly the case, I hope the young man gets all the help he needs to go on in life.

Myself, I suspect, just like Chad Kelly, he’s merely a major league a-hole.

53 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

They apparently want to know why he was released first.

Makes sense, it would be smart on their part to do so, and if it’s nothing outlandish. Then they should sign him immediately. It’d help a little with viewership and ratings. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

This is why it's such a crapshoot to go on TV and start handing out letter grades for all teams' drafts, as a draftnik---meanwhile, Johnny Football is basically a Ryan Leaf level bust. 

Not really at all. Manziel was 22nd overall, Ryan Leaf was 2 with a lot of people putting him over a guy who turned out to be arguably at the worst, a top 5 QB of all time.

Leaf would have undoubtedly went 1 in 2014. Manziel wasn't even on the radar. A lot of people are remembering those who said he'd go early. There was also just as much chatter as to why was he even invited to the draft because a lot saw him falling into the 2nd.

Edited by Ol Dirty B

4 hours ago, The Senator said:

If that is truly the case, I hope the young man gets all the help he needs to go on in life.

Myself, I suspect, just like Chad Kelly, he’s merely a major league a-hole.

Chad Kelly is a way bigger #######. Manziel definitely has a level of douche to him, but he's never ran onto a high school football field, got ran off a college team, threatened to spray a club with an ak.

Manziel has issues. Chad Kelly has some too, but is an irredeemable jackass. 

Chad Kelly wakes up wishing he was Manziel in my opinion. That's where I hold him. I'm easier on Manziel a lot of you too, and I enjoyed his game vs the Bills. However, at a certain point it seems like he has been piled on. And fair point to all those saying he deserved it, because he comes from money, behaved poorly and was given every opportunity and squandered it. So I get the contempt people hold him in.

17 hours ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Yes sir. People eat it up, though, the rankings, mock drafts, etc. And some of those analysts can be pretty spot on, we just love to point out when they miss... especially if they have a huge miss like this one. The thing that'll irk me about a lot of the draft guys is how some of 'em seem to write off a player because, "He didn't do A, B, or C in college" and I've always been like, "Yeah, maybe he wasn't asked to? And it's not like he couldn't learn." Most analysts understand that you have to evaluate their skills and then project what they could be in the NFL. Some dudes just see a guy as he is now and think, "That's it, he's peaked." Usually not the case for most players.

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/27/2019 at 4:17 PM, prissythecat said:

Maybe he is worth a flyer.  After all how many posters here were clamoring for him back when he was drafted .

I wasn't. Bad idea then, bad idea now.