Johnny Football released by Alouettes of CFL **Update** Signed by Memphis of the AAF

He was banned by the CFL from signing a contract with any CFL team. 

https://www.tsn.ca/cfl-directs-alouettes-to-release-qb-manziel-1.1264993

We are disappointed by this turn of events," Alouettes GM Kavis Reed said in a statement. "Johnny was provided a great deal of support by our organization, in collaboration with the CFL, but he has been unable to abide by the terms of his agreement.

"We worked with the league and presented alternatives to Johnny, who was unwilling to proceed."

Wonder what he did? 

And its interesting that Mansfield was the one unwilling to proceed with whatever alternatives were offered. 

7 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Its been long over.  He sucked in NFL and CFL.  He will suck everywhere, he is not a good QB.  What money he has he owes big thanks to Mike Evans for making him look draftable. 

Basically, what he did on college was run around like a maniac and throw jump balls to Evans. He was good at it but it was so gimmicky.  And I do hope he found peace in his life but the drug stuff, IMO, was a crutch because he deep down knew he wasn’t nfl caliber.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, C.Biscuit97 said:

Basically, what he did on college was run around like a maniac and throw jump balls to Evans. He was good at it but it was so gimmicky.  And I do hope he found peace in his life but the drug stuff, IMO, was a crutch because he deep down knew he wasn’t nfl caliber.

Exactly.  I kept saying this at the draft too, he's a mid round pick at best who had an Elite WR make his stats look good.  Fun to watch in college, but so were a lot of guys who had no NFL futures.  

Just now, Alphadawg7 said:

Exactly.  I kept saying this at the draft too, he's a mid round pick at best who had an Elite WR make his stats look good.  Fun to watch in college, but so were a lot of guys who had no NFL futures.  

And you know I’m hard on Allen but I did worry there was a lot of sandlot plays.  I want to see more of the traditional pocket plays, with running as the last option.

that said, it’s night and day between Allen and Manziel’s physical and mental tools.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

And you know I’m hard on Allen but I did worry there was a lot of sandlot plays.  I want to see more of the traditional pocket plays, with running as the last option.

that said, it’s night and day between Allen and Manziel’s physical and mental tools.

And that’s also why I’m hard on Zay actually too.  Zay does most of his limited production on those sand lot plays when Allen is buying time with his legs.   If our WRs won their routes more and got open, Allen wouldn’t have to use his legs so much to buy more time.  Allen is a skilled runner, but he wants to throw it first.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Stick to your day job, Mr. NFL QB psychoanalyst.

• Like (+1) 2

12 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Sucking at ? 

People loved him on this board.   Mike Evans made him.   I do hope he did get his life back on track.  

All this. I had such a long debate with people on this board about whether Manziel made Evans or Evans made Manziel. It was obvious to me it was the latter and Evans was my guy in that draft. That said I wish him well in his life. He clearly has some demons that he has battled and is still battling. He just wasn't a guy whose college playing style translated to the NFL.

17 hours ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

He says he wants to continue to try playing in the US but theres not much left unless the AAF try's to give him a shot ?

I don't see that happening when Polian calls the commish of the CFL to find out exactly what happened the the commissioner of their league was the one that decided that Johnny needed to go I'm thinking he has played his last professional game !

The only way he will play football again is in the back yard with his nephews or something like that !! 

Hardly over.  Either the AAF, or XFL.  Most likely, if he continues on his current trajectory, AAF for a year, then XFL.  

2 hours ago, T master said:

He says he wants to continue to try playing in the US but theres not much left unless the AAF try's to give him a shot ?

I don't see that happening when Polian calls the commish of the CFL to find out exactly what happened the the commissioner of their league was the one that decided that Johnny needed to go I'm thinking he has played his last professional game !

The only way he will play football again is in the back yard with his nephews or something like that !! 

It is a good point the AAF may not take him, BUT, the XFL will.   

The CFL Substance Abuse Policy does not include recreational drugs - only PED's.  He stated earlier that he was required to take regular lithium tests (Lithium is used in treating bipolar disorder) and go to regular counseling.  I'd have to think that his suspension has to do with inability/unwillingness to follow thorough on his medication and counseling.  Piling on the guy if this is the case, is bad form. 

https://www.cfl.ca/2015/05/05/cfl-drug-policy-glance/

Edited by Irv

19 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

The AAF should be jumping on him. Hackenberg was starting games in that league.

Peterman was starting in the NFL, so...... 

18 hours ago, Formerly Allan in MD said:

Haven't seen any specific mention of what his indiscretion was.

They wouldnt release anything, has he been in Florida recently?

• Haha (+1) 1