Calling it now: Zay Jones will not be on the week 1 roster.

Alphadawg7

Good call, Alpha. 

I believe it had gotten to the point where Josh had little faith in Zay to make a play if he targeted him.  Zay was always a second or third read and when he was targeted the results were only good about a quarter of the time or less.  When a QB loses faith in the target, its pretty much time to move on. 

I know this won't be popular -- but Robert and Maneesha (Zay's parents) are really good people.  My kids and I met them traveling to Buffalo two years ago and have had brief conversations since then.  Maneesha actually face timed Zay and had him talk to my young son the first time we met.  Like every mother and father, they support their children through all of life's trials and tribulations.  That they choose to do that on twitter is questionable judgement but its also a reflection of the modern world.

As a teammate and person, I am sure that a lot of the Bills players are coaches are sorry to see Zay go...as a player--it just didn't work out.  Beane likely stretched this out a bit longer than he normally would because Zay fit the culture they wanted.  Beane didn't draft him but I think he still felt "ownership" of Zay.

I wish Zay the best in Oakland.  I hope he has a career that mirrors Robert Woods.  I also hope the Bills whip the Cowboys on Thanksgiving so I can do a little yakking next time I see Mr. Jones...because I know if the reverse happens I will be the "yakkee"....  By the way-- he is still a pretty damn big, intimidating man...

Edited by JoeF
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

26 minutes ago, JoeF said:

Good call, Alpha. 

I believe it had gotten to the point where Josh had little faith in Zay to make a play if he targeted him.  Zay was always a second or third read and when he was targeted the results were only good about a quarter of the time or less.  When a QB loses faith in the target, its pretty much time to move on. 

I know this won't be popular -- but Robert and Maneesha (Zay's parents) are really good people.  My kids and I met them traveling to Buffalo two years ago and have had brief conversations since then.  Maneesha actually face timed Zay and had him talk to my young son the first time we met.  Like every mother and father, they support their children through all of life's trials and tribulations.  That they choose to do that on twitter is questionable judgement but its also a reflection of the modern world.

As a teammate and person, I am sure that a lot of the Bills players are coaches are sorry to see Zay go...as a player--it just didn't work out.  Beane likely stretched this out a bit longer than he normally would because Zay fit the culture they wanted.  Beane didn't draft him but I think he still felt "ownership" of Zay.

I wish Zay the best in Oakland.  I hope he has a career that mirrors Robert Woods.  I also hope the Bills whip the Cowboys on Thanksgiving so I can do a little yakking next time I see Mr. Jones...because I know if the reverse happens I will be the "yakkee"....  By the way-- he is still a pretty damn big, intimidating man...

Thanks, and thanks for sharing the story, thats pretty cool.  Yeah, wish him well in Oakland, Zay always seemed like a good person off the field and I never had anything personal against him.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, JoeF said:

Good call, Alpha. 

Thanks for this.  It's always good to hear the personal side of these stories. 

Congrats to Appha.  His was a creative thought, and when I saw it I knew he was right. My take always was Zay had to make the top 3 or he was in trouble.  He DID make the top 3 but played himself out of the position.  Once he failed to make plays against the Pats, he was done.

Thanks Alpha.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, JoeF said:

Good call, Alpha. 

Very cool.  Thanks for sharing this story.  I hope the light comes on for Zay and a change of scenery is what he needed.

On 10/8/2019 at 10:23 PM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Chandler, you find the Best gifs.  We should put them in a gif library on this site.

But sorry, we all know I 'fess up and belly up for my Crow Pie Special when needed, but when a guy predicts Week 1 Gone and it happens 1/3 way through the season, no crow chomping here.

Yes, crow chomping is called for.

Being close ... is being wrong. The reason so many, me included, told him he was very wrong was exactly that he predicted it would happen so early.

I certainly didn't believe it would happen early in the season either. I was wrong about that. But if the original prediction had been that he would be traded in the first half of the season, I'd have disagreed much much less strongly. Probably one post, "it's unlikely," and gone.

Having said that, who cares at this late date. He was wrong, but this thread didn't need to be necro-bumped.

The end date was different, but your reasoning was pretty much spot on, it’s like you follow the game of football, and the Buffalo Bills or something... ?

Go Bills!!!