Calling it now: Zay Jones will not be on the week 1 roster.

Alphadawg7

4 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Not sure why so many people thought Zay was safe this year. The writing was on the wall when Brown and Beasley were signed to multi-year deals. McDermott wasn't going to sit around waiting for Zay to "develop." He was terrible his first two seasons.

To be a starting NFL receiver, at least once per game you need to make a play happen all on your own. Zay has made exactly one of those plays in his career. If you can't make plays happen you at least need to be consistent with the easy stuff.

I'm just glad we moved on even if it was 5 games too late.

Agreed and I started this thread before free agency and before we signed Brown and Cole because his first 2 seasons were just like you said.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Not sure why so many people thought Zay was safe this year. The writing was on the wall when Brown and Beasley were signed to multi-year deals. McDermott wasn't going to sit around waiting for Zay to "develop." He was terrible his first two seasons.

To be a starting NFL receiver, at least once per game you need to make a play happen all on your own. Zay has made exactly one of those plays in his career. If you can't make plays happen you at least need to be consistent with the easy stuff.

I'm just glad we moved on even if it was 5 games too late.

I was quietly confident that he would see week 1..

@Alphadawg7 was basically right. I said multiple times that this thread wasn't that wild a prediction. I thought Zay would make week 1, he did, but I never thought he was safe and there was always a chance Alpha's prediction came true. 

It comes down to catching balls and somewhere in the 59 pages of argument here I did a comparison between Zay and every other receiver taken in the top 3 rounds of the last 3 drafts. His catch % was 2nd lowest among them. The string to his bow that kept him here a little longer was the run blocking. Once they felt they could get that from Duke with minimal drop off it was good night Vienna. 

A 2021 5th rounder (discount a round per year into the future) means Zay has basically 7th round value in today's NFL. He isn't even certain to make an NFL team beyond this season. 

And it comes down to what Alpha always said it did..... he just doesn't catch enough balls. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

On 2/27/2019 at 3:46 PM, Alphadawg7 said:

I could be wrong, but this is just what I believe based on the additions I expect Beane to make in the WR room.  I have no issues if others don't agree, just my opinion on the matter, nothing more.  

I have consistently said this all off season, and McDermott just said something again that enforces that belief.  I think they see how the Rams cleared out their WR room and so did the Bears and in both cases their young QB's took big strides as passers.  Eagles did the same for Wentz too.  

"We're looking for guys that can get open and catch the ball."  Yes, that is an obvious trait for any WR, but also its telling that he and Beane keep making these comments given the struggles all year, including Zay, to do these very basic things.  

I think the WR room will be crowded once free agency and the draft is over (likely 2 to 3 additions) and Zay is going to be someone who has to really impress in camp to make this roster.   Right now, there is not one part of being a wide receiver that Zay does particularly well outside of his reported good work ethic.  

1. Hands:  Struggles catching the ball.  Makes easy catches look hard and drops too many passes.
  2. Separation:  Has struggled to get separation, especially playing on the outside.  
  3. Route Running:  Part of his issue with getting separation is his inconsistent route running.
  4. Speed:  He has average speed.  He is fast enough to play in the league, but to be consistent with his speed he needs to be a good route runner.  
  5. Physicality:  He is easily man handled by physical corners.  Games like the Lions and Pats this year he was dominated physically for example.  
  6. Contested Catches:  One of the weakest part of his game.
  7. Catch Radius:  Very limited mostly due to his inconsistent hands and lack of physicality.  

Foster:  Penciled in as a projected #2 WR.  However, if we bring in a potential starter in FA and also draft one early, then Foster is no lock for #2 and could be used more out of the slot or as a deep threat.  Additionally, if we draft say Metcalf or make a splashy trade for someone like Brown (less likely), then Duke could make a real challenge for #2 as a big catch radius compliment to a #1 who poses a real deep threat opposite him. 

Duke:  He has to prove himself in the NFL, I get that.  But if we take an honest assessment of him, his issues were never talent related.  He isn't a speed burner, but he has a big catch radius, runs good routes, and has great hands.  He could legit compete for the #2 opposite a big play #1.  Even if not a #2, its more than reasonable he has a legit shot to make this team and compete for minutes.  

Zay:  Best suited for the slot, however his lack of consistent hands and his issues with separation make his spot there vulnerable.  If our top 2 WR's this next season dont include Foster, then I can easily see Foster challenging to play in the slot, and he already has surpassed Zay.  

We are adding at least 2 additonal WR's (and maybe 3) this offseason expected to start or compete to start to go along with the 3 guys already here.  With McD and Beanes consistent comments about getting open and catching the ball, I think Zay is in trouble and will be a training camp or preseason trade for a 4th round or conditional 5th round pick.  

you were close, but I'll give you this one

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

@Alphadawg7 was basically right. I said multiple times that this thread wasn't that wild a prediction. I thought Zay would make week 1, he did, but I never thought he was safe and there was always a chance Alpha's prediction came true. 

It comes down to catching balls and somewhere in the 59 pages of argument here I did a comparison between Zay and every other receiver taken in the top 3 rounds of the last 3 drafts. His catch % was 2nd lowest among them. The string to his bow that kept him here a little longer was the run blocking. Once they felt they could get that from Duke with minimal drop off it was good night Vienna. 

A 2021 5th rounder (discount a round per year into the future) means Zay has basically 7th round value in today's NFL. He isn't even certain to make an NFL team beyond this season. 

And it comes down to what Alpha always said it did..... he just doesn't catch enough balls. 

To use a Duke Williams term.  Zay doesnt have enough Dog in him.  Hes a big body kid who needs to be used in the slot because he doesnt do well with contact.  Glad we got a 5th.

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

He does fight for Jesus though.   Perhaps he will find his true calling as a missionary?

• Haha (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Alphadawg7, you are SO THE MAN!

To all you haters, You’re Wrong! Come back and admit it.

I readily admit that I, the shady one, said Zay would be on the team week 1.   I also readily admit that he had to prove himself or else.   Or Else happened.

:beer: 

• Like (+1) 4

Clearly we could all see reasons for Zay to be gone going into this season, but the coaches still put Duke at risk on the PS and kept Zay on, more or less as a starter.

I really think the lack of effort on a couple of the picks vs NE is what got him cooked.  He's just not a high energy high effort player, and McBean and co have no room on the team for that at all.

1 hour ago, r00tabaga said:

I'll give Dawg credit.  I thought there was no way they bail on Zay this year,  he was their pick. Glad I was wrong. 

The Bills  do not seem to me to have misplaced loyalties to anyone- and Zay is not a good fit for Allen who is their centerpiece.

9 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Your feast is served.

FF6803A9-67E2-41E0-844D-51DB4DF963EC.jpeg

Chandler, you find the Best gifs.  We should put them in a gif library on this site.

But sorry, we all know I 'fess up and belly up for my Crow Pie Special when needed, but when a guy predicts Week 1 Gone and it happens 1/3 way through the season, no crow chomping here.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

45 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Chandler, you find the Best gifs.  We should put them in a gif library on this site.

But sorry, we all know I 'fess up and belly up for my Crow Pie Special when needed, but when a guy predicts Week 1 Gone and it happens 1/3 way through the season, no crow chomping here.

Chandler loves to serve crow to people .......   Does he eat his own when required ???    ;)  ;)  ;)  

j/k