Calling it now: Zay Jones will not be on the week 1 roster.

Alphadawg7

20 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I dunno, maybe the G-men will call Bean-o with an offer he can't refuse.  How's their punter?

i dunno. at this point i'd be real hesitant to trade Zay. i believe he is going to be the beneficiary of having not only an upgraded Oline but an NFL receiving corps along side him. with JBrown, CBeasley and RFoster out there, Zay will not be seeing the opposing teams top CB. with that said however, if Gettleman comes calling, you have to at least listen to what he thinks and might offer.

1 hour ago, VW82 said:

Didn’t Zay play like 90% of the snaps last year? I have a really hard time believing he isn’t going to make the roster let alone not play a significant percentage of snaps.

https://mobile.twitter.com/adamlevitan/status/1155100766945861640

For a refresher and clarity since this thread was started 6 months ago:  I never said he wouldn’t make roster as in get cut.  I posted in the original post I felt he would be a trade candidate in preseason with a deeper WR group providing better competition as I wasn’t confident in him stepping up against said better competition. 

And like I said before, I stand by how I felt the day I wrote this post, I will be very happy to be wrong and Zay becomes a good starting WR.  Actually pulling for him, nothing personal against him, just was very disappointed in his overall body of work going into the offseason, including last year.  

1 hour ago, Foxx said:

indications are that... Zay will be on the week one roster.

can i call it now??

I do agree that right now he certainly seems to be trending that way but I still want to see him play consistently in live action.  

Edited by Alphadawg7

44 minutes ago, Foxx said:

i dunno. at this point i'd be real hesitant to trade Zay. i believe he is going to be the beneficiary of having not only an upgraded Oline but an NFL receiving corps along side him. with JBrown, CBeasley and RFoster out there, Zay will not be seeing the opposing teams top CB. with that said however, if Gettleman comes calling, you have to at least listen to what he thinks and might offer.

That could be a good point actually where he will see lesser DBs out there.  He struggled majorly against teams top corners last year.  Maybe he can’t handle the better corners but could shine against the opponents 2nd or 3rd corner.  Kind of like Robert Woods wasn’t quite good enough to be a #1 and face the opponents top DB each week but is flourishing in LA with guys like Cooks and Watkins drawing the top DB the last two seasons there.

• Thank you (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

That could be a good point actually where he will see lesser DBs out there.  He struggled majorly against teams top corners last year.  Maybe he can’t handle the better corners but could shine against the opponents 2nd or 3rd corner.  Kind of like Robert Woods wasn’t quite good enough to be a #1 and face the opponents top DB each week but is flourishing in LA with guys like Cooks and Watkins drawing the top DB the last two seasons there.

i don't know that, 'struggled majorly' is a pejorative term i would use in regard here. i think there were many factors that parlayed into what we saw last year. a weak Oline, substandard overall receiving corps, a bad QB in Peterman and a rookie QB in Allen and no overall consistency. i think with improvements across all those areas i mentioned, we will be better able to get a more accurate gauge of who Zay really is. i do agree though that he is not a #1, but i am real interested in seeing how he makes out this year.

Edited by Foxx
  • Thank you (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Maybe he had crap for QBs while here.

51 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

Maybe he had crap for QBs while here.

1 hour ago, Foxx said:

i don't know that, 'struggled majorly' is a pejorative term i would use in regard here. i think there were many factors that parlayed into what we saw last year. a weak Oline, substandard overall receiving corps, a bad QB in Peterman and a rookie QB in Allen and no overall consistency. i think with improvements across all those areas i mentioned, we will be better able to get a more accurate gauge of who Zay really is. i do agree though that he is not a #1, but i am real interested in seeing how he makes out this year.

In 3 of his last 4 games last year when Allen was playing better he was dominated badly by Jets, Lions and Pats.  Like physically dominated, pushed off his routes, etc.  He struggled a lot with press coverage and opposing teams top CBs.  It’s easy to give him a pass on the QBs, it’s a whole other thing to watch him struggle against opponents top opposition and struggle to beat the press, separate, and be taken out of games.  

Im pulling for him, but he earned his criticisms on the field both of the last 2 seasons.  

Good news is Zay recognized that (or his coaches did) and spent the offseason getting stronger.  Hoping it translates on the field to him taking his game to a new level.  

• Like (+1) 2

On 5/31/2019 at 5:13 PM, HappyDays said:

I hope the Bills don't plan on playing Zay more than Foster. That would be a big mistake.

It's going to depend upon what they see.  Look, I like Foster.  I hope he becomes everything that John Brown is now.  He's got what you can't coach (speed) and it sounds like he's receptive to coaching and mentoring. 

But the fact is, he's very raw.  Last year he ran inconsistent routes.  He didn't necessarily diagnose the D and run his correct route option.  He struggled sometimes tracking the ball - sometimes looked back and lost a step and was overthrown.  Sometimes let the ball go through his hands.  He improved after being cut and put on practice squad, so it was motivational for him.  Right now, he's primarily a deep threat and doesn't have a full route tree.

He'll get the playing time he shows he deserves, and so will Zay, and it won't be a mistake however it falls.

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

In 3 of his last 4 games last year when Allen was playing better he was dominated badly by Jets, Lions and Pats.  Like physically dominated, pushed off his routes, etc.  He struggled a lot with press coverage and opposing teams top CBs.  It’s easy to give him a pass on the QBs, it’s a whole other thing to watch him struggle against opponents top opposition and struggle to beat the press, separate, and be taken out of games.  

Im pulling for him, but he earned his criticisms on the field both of the last 2 seasons.  

Good news is Zay recognized that (or his coaches did) and spent the offseason getting stronger.  Hoping it translates on the field to him taking his game to a new level.  

You're correct.  He also ran different routes than Allen expected at times (I'm not saying wrong - not sure which of them was correct given the D).

It may matter that Zay, due to various surgeries, did not have the off-season to get stronger last year.  In fact I think he lost strength and lost a step.

Hopefully he gained strength and recovered that step this off season.

I do feel this is a "fish or cut bait" year for Zay.  He's got to level up his game or the Bills have to move on.

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

That's what I'm expecting. Currently I see Zay's projection to that of Josh Reed. Be a #3 receiver just fine, but will disappear against stronger competition.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Im talking about Woods there guy.  As to your statement concerning Zay, that is why he added muscle mass and he will definitely be on the roster and on the field week 1.

Edited by formerlyofCtown

21 hours ago, FeelingOnYouboty said:

So he’s not getting cut like folks was promising me lol

Um whoever said he was getting cut?  Not me, nothing in my OP or any post after.  I started this thread and even said he would not be cut.  I thought he could be a trade candidate in preseason.  It was pretty silly if anyone else suggested he would be cut.  

Edited by Alphadawg7