Calling it now: Zay Jones will not be on the week 1 roster.

Alphadawg7

3 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I wonder if the nitpickers and the title police will come back here if indeed Zay is not on the roster to heap praise on you for your early Nostradamus like prediction. Somehow I doubt it. They will be hiding in the same place all the Mason Rudolph lovers are. Still a great thread and a lot of tremendous analysis in here both for and against Zay. 

I’m calling it NOW , 

Not only Zay will be on the roaster but he will either lead the team in receptions or he will be second ,  ( not in total yards ,) receptions , 

I haven’t given up on Zay just yet , I know the kid had a horrible rookie season, but he much improved in year two and led the team in receptions , i think Zay and Allen started to build a little chemistry together towards the end of the year  ( last year ) ,

and (IMHO) i think a better group of receivers will benefit him  a lot as well !!!! 

3 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

For the record...I am over talking about the title.  Its a free board, if people don't like the title are free to start their own thread and call it whatever they want.  All good, just beyond pointless at this point to keep talking to the same few people about a title.  But this title and topic went quite far and mostly a great thread until some title police started making an issue here late about the name of it.  Cant please everyone, nor do I intend to try to.  

GO BILLS...and honestly, GO ZAY! 

It's not title policing.  It's a group, or a few according to you, that have called you out for your ownn"calling it now", then litetally two pages ago (i can dig up your post if you want), said that "zay may very well make the roster....".  Then a couple posts later, comment that it's only spring "running around and catching passes in shorts", then say, "you don't care if you're right, but don't want anyone calling you out later" if you're wrong.....color me dumb, but that sounds like waffling at its finest.  

Here is the long and short of a 50 page thread of quotes from you:

1. you thought Zay was borderline Peterman like his rookie year

2. you downplayed his year 2 improvement

3. you said he disappeared in 10 of 16 games last season

4. etc

I can appreciate that you've tried to support your opinion.  Now I for one thought it was a crazy statement to make, he was our top WR last season and had been praised by coaches and teammates numerous times.  

But, beyond all that, you've insisted this isn't about being right or wrong.  And I say it is, when you make any sort of prediction...that is why we keep pointing out your thread title!

Look, I'll be back either way to revisit this thread come week 1 and during training camp.  I want the best team on the field too, but I'm convinced that will include Zay Jones.  and I'm also not afraid if someone wants to call me out on being wrong later on (unlike some)....

1 hour ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I wonder if the nitpickers and the title police will come back here if indeed Zay is not on the roster to heap praise on you for your early Nostradamus like prediction. Somehow I doubt it. They will be hiding in the same place all the Mason Rudolph lovers are. Still a great thread and a lot of tremendous analysis in here both for and against Zay. 

Title police is funny.... I'll be back, go zay

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, MasterStrategist said:

It's not title policing.  It's a group, or a few according to you, that have called you out for your ownn"calling it now", then litetally two pages ago (i can dig up your post if you want), said that "zay may very well make the roster....".  Then a couple posts later, comment that it's only spring "running around and catching passes in shorts", then say, "you don't care if you're right, but don't want anyone calling you out later" if you're wrong.....color me dumb, but that sounds like waffling at its finest.  

LMAO...talk about cherry picking lines to force a narrative man.  Zay is either going to be on the roster or not week 1...so am I supposed pretend its not at all possible he could be on the roster week 1 and my February 27th prediction could be wrong?   LOL.  Show me one time...just one...where I said its impossible to make the roster.  And please oh please show me the post where I said "I dont want anyone calling me out later" if Zay makes the roster.  You either have poor reading comprehension, or you are now making things up to force your narrative here, because I never said that at all.  I wont "color you dumb" as you put it...but you are not even in the ball park of being correct on this.  

Here is the long and short of a 50 page thread of quotes from you:

1. you thought Zay was borderline Peterman like his rookie year

2. you downplayed his year 2 improvement

3. you said he disappeared in 10 of 16 games last season

4. etc

1. I made one comment that his rookie year was Peterman like being so bad...one time in a 50 page thread.  And it was...one of the worst catch rates in the NFL, literally lost us multiple games with drops, and tried to jump out a window naked.  That about as a bad rookie year as one can have.  
  2. I was honest about my OPINION on his year 2 performance, and MANY agreed with that take too.  But you want to focus on me, so be it, I will be your huckleberry.
  3. In 10 games in 2016 he had LESS than 40 yards.  And in the NE game he had ZERO yards with 4 min left to go in a blow out loss, so really he was non existent in 11 of his 16 games...those are FACTS.  
  4. Etc. - Yup, I provided even more insight into why I felt his second year still was sub par even though it was better than his terrible rookie year. 

I can appreciate that you've tried to support your opinion.  Now I for one thought it was a crazy statement to make, he was our top WR last season and had been praised by coaches and teammates numerous times.  

But, beyond all that, you've insisted this isn't about being right or wrong.  And I say it is, when you make any sort of prediction...that is why we keep pointing out your thread title!

Look, I'll be back either way to revisit this thread come week 1 and during training camp.  I want the best team on the field too, but I'm convinced that will include Zay Jones.  and I'm also not afraid if someone wants to call me out on being wrong later on (unlike some)....

Title police is funny.... I'll be back, go zay

You say you appreciate I tried to support my opinion, yet chastise me for it at that same time.  Sorry man, make up your mind.  Im totally fine you don't agree with my assessment, but you seem to have an issue that my opinion of Zays first 2 years isnt as rosey as yours.  

And sorry, but this bolded part is about the dumbest thing I have ever heard.  So no offense, but I dont care that you "say it is"...I am not hear to root against Zay to fail...I am a Bills fan, so I hope he proves my doubts wrong.  

Think what you want dude, I honestly don't give a damn anymore, I am done with it and this thread...thanks for sucking the fun out of it. I mean its not even a discussion about Zay anymore.  Its just stupid now.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Thank you (+1) 1

@Alphadawg7, I respect that you weren’t shy with your original prediction, and while I disagreed with the premise from the get go, you backed up your position with well reasoned and thoughtful analysis. How many posters on here predicted Peterman would light it up in 2018 based on his marked offseason improvement between 2017-2018? I mean, he straight up won a 3-way open QB competition. My point is, we can all make predictions and whether or not we agree on them at the time is beside the point. I find your posts to usually be of the “more insight less incite” variety (blast from the past reference there, holla back 26CB! :P) and don’t let the rest of the armchair QB’s around here take the fun out of it for you. Carry on. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

LMAO...talk about cherry picking lines to force a narrative man.  Zay is either going to be on the roster or not week 1...so am I supposed pretend its not at all possible he could be on the roster week 1 and my February 27th prediction could be wrong?   LOL.  Show me one time...just one...where I said its impossible to make the roster.  And please oh please show me the post where I said "I dont want anyone calling me out later" if Zay makes the roster.  You either have poor reading comprehension, or you are now making things up to force your narrative here, because I never said that at all.  I wont "color you dumb" as you put it...but you are not even in the ball park of being correct on this.  

1. I made one comment that his rookie year was Peterman like being so bad...one time in a 50 page thread.  And it was...one of the worst catch rates in the NFL, literally lost us multiple games with drops, and tried to jump out a window naked.  That about as a bad rookie year as one can have.  
  2. I was honest about my OPINION on his year 2 performance, and MANY agreed with that take too.  But you want to focus on me, so be it, I will be your huckleberry.
  3. In 10 games in 2016 he had LESS than 40 yards.  And in the NE game he had ZERO yards with 4 min left to go in a blow out loss, so really he was non existent in 11 of his 16 games...those are FACTS.  
  4. Etc. - Yup, I provided even more insight into why I felt his second year still was sub par even though it was better than his terrible rookie year. 

You say you appreciate I tried to support my opinion, yet chastise me for it at that same time.  Sorry man, make up your mind.  Im totally fine you don't agree with my assessment, but you seem to have an issue that my opinion of Zays first 2 years isnt as rosey as yours.  

And sorry, but this bolded part is about the dumbest thing I have ever heard.  So no offense, but I dont care that you "say it is"...I am not hear to root against Zay to fail...I am a Bills fan, so I hope he proves my doubts wrong.  

Think what you want dude, I honestly don't give a damn anymore, I am done with it and this thread...thanks for sucking the fun out of it. I mean its not even a discussion about Zay anymore.  Its just stupid now.  

Also wanted to point out that he keeps saying it's a "group"of people that that has their panties in a bunch about the thread title when I have only noticed it being only 2 or 3 people in this thread that I've seen. Forgive me if I missed an extra person whomever you may be. I guess you could call that a group, but I would just call it 2 or 3.

I've completely understood your points and stances on this subject. I also have had my doubts about Zay, but as you said, we are Bills fans, so why wouldn't one pull for him and "hope" he does well? People, it is ok to have doubts and hope for the best for a certain player at the same time.

Anyways just wanted to throw my last 2 cents about this out there, so zippidy doo da!

Edited by Patrick_Duffy
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Hey! I am a Mason Rudolph lover and I am still here. 

• Haha (+1) 3

11 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

All good man...and look, I am not offended and I have no issue with criticism, just like no one should have an issue with me responding with my thoughts on any said criticism.  But thanks for replying to an answer to my question, and I think I can see where the disconnect is a bit now.

On one hand, if you are familiar with me as a poster then it's safe to say you would know that I am not one who starts declaration/proclamation threads about things that haven't happened in the first place, nor do I go around in other threads making comments like that.  In fact, in my post history you will see me constantly stating that declaring anything before its happened as if its inevitable is foolish.  Like when people declared it was the "Wrong Josh" in freak outs or that Allen is a complete bust before he even got off the podium on draft night.  

On the other hand, you are right, there are plenty of posters who run around declaring things that haven't happened yet as fact and will go to all ends to argue that.  So I can see why TSW experience may make you feel that way, but who the poster is matters still, and I am not that type of poster.

So for me, I wrote the post first (like I normally do), then once its done I write a thread title.  My post ultimately became a prediction based on how I thought some things would happen that had not happened yet.  So when I made the title, I felt it was fair to reflect that it was a prediction thread.  I made it clear in the first lines of the post what kind of tone it had...it was a soft tone, simply opinion based, and not some declaration.  To me the title properly tells anyone wanting to click on it that this thread is about a prediction.

I mean at the end of the day, its a freaking thread title right. Its not the subject, its just a title. This is getting WAY out of hand discussing a title of a thread.  I mean if someone doesn't like the title, they don't have to participate.  

I respect the feedback...however, I stand by my thread title as properly representing what I was thinking in my first post.  I stand by my criticism of Zay as he earned them on the field.  I can't help it if people want to falsely form opinions on a subject based on the title...thats as foolish as forming an opinion on a movie by reading the DVD caption IMO.  And at the end of the day, I made a prediction and the title reflected that and I feel good about how I titled it.  

I am sorry if you feel different, but I am not like other posters.  So reading into my thread title based on your experience with other posters is out of my control.  No matter what I called it someone would have complained anyway, cant make every one happy.  

GO BILLS!

cheers.

Go Bills!

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 5/23/2019 at 4:14 PM, Alphadawg7 said:

You've missed the entire point of this thread.  This right here says to me that you're here hoping to get an "I told you so" moment even though this was never a right or wrong thread, it was an open discussion on how the offseason COULD impact Zay's future.  

I could care less if my gut feeling on February 27th comes true or not.  This was an open discussion about the possibility of what the offseason would add to the WR room and how that may impact the 53 man roster week 1.  Some of you seem to only be invested in hoping to get an "I told you so" notch on your belt.  Which is funny, because everyone on this board has been "wrong" about many thoughts or predictions many more times than being right, so the "I told you so" is a pretty worthless accomplishment.

So, no, I am not interested in your bet.  I actually do not want to root against Zay, I MUCH PREFER seeing him go out and seize his opportunities and make this team better over betting against him and hoping he fails just so some stupid thought last February can be proven right and I can say "I told you so" and win money.  

I am a Bills fan...I want to cheer Zay on, not root against him.  

My last post here, until we get into training camp or season...but ill just leave this here.

Again, you required above saying theboijnt of this thread was to have an open discussion about how the off-season COULD impact Zay, yet you made a prediction and say it's not about being right or wrong. Well to me it is, when someone calls out a player that won't be making the roster, that I think is on the upswing.  so yes, we share a vastly different opinion on the player.

If  I say, I bet Trump is going to be impeached, then I continue to discuss his merits to not lead the country and support it with my opinion, but then say the purpose of the whole conversation was to discuss other potential future presidents...i would imagine most ppl would be holding on to my comment about trump being impeached.  just an analogy, nothing more...but this was my basis for continuing to bring up the title.

carry on, see you again in August September, back here

44 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

My last post here, until we get into training camp or season...but ill just leave this here.

Again, you required above saying theboijnt of this thread was to have an open discussion about how the off-season COULD impact Zay, yet you made a prediction and say it's not about being right or wrong. Well to me it is, when someone calls out a player that won't be making the roster, that I think is on the upswing.  so yes, we share a vastly different opinion on the player.

If  I say, I bet Trump is going to be impeached, then I continue to discuss his merits to not lead the country and support it with my opinion, but then say the purpose of the whole conversation was to discuss other potential future presidents...i would imagine most ppl would be holding on to my comment about trump being impeached.  just an analogy, nothing more...but this was my basis for continuing to bring up the title.

carry on, see you again in August September, back here

Please don't stop. I want this thread to reach 1500 replies. Here is my contribution.

19 hours ago, Jay_Fixit said:

This thread has turned into this:

Wow, I hope everyone understands just how terrible that is. Your speed doesn't mean squat if you are going to run a route like that. That's a pick 6 waiting to happen. 

Edited by Juice_32

Wow.   I haven't looked at this thread for a week or two and just clicked on it to see what's going on it.   I have a few reactions:

1.  One thing that kept me coming back to this thread is that Dawg didn't start it and run away.  He's been here throughout, defending his position.  Kudos.  

2.  A second thing that kept me coming back was that Dawg has been completely clear throughout what he's saying:  He likes Zay, but he thinks it's more likely than not that Zay will not be on roster at Day 1 because of the competition.  I still tend to agree with him.  I think Williams, Foster and Beasley will play ahead of Jones, and once Jones slips to the number 4 spot on the depth chart, he's at risk.  He isn't a special teamer and he doesn't have any special skills that make him look like a long-term answer.  

3.  The thread title is COMPLETELY clear.   "I'm Calling It Now" is a common phrase around here and among sports fans, and it's meaning is completely clear:  "I'm making a prediction."  It's like "I'm calling it now: the Bills will win the Super Bowl" - it's a prediction  Everyone should understand that a prediction is, fundamentally, a discussion of some future uncertainty.   And Dawg has been clear about that throughout - he admits Zay could be on the roster; he just thinks it's more likely that he won't.   The act of making a prediction does NOT mean that the predictor is saying the predicted event is certain to happen or that the opposite of the predicted event can't happen.  

Frankly, with Beasley down and with the free agent rookie kid down, Dawg's prediction isn't looking so good right now, but there's still a lot of football to be practiced between now and final cuts/trades.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Wow.   I haven't looked at this thread for a week or two and just clicked on it to see what's going on it.   I have a few reactions:

1.  One thing that kept me coming back to this thread is that Dawg didn't start it and run away.  He's been here throughout, defending his position.  Kudos.  

2.  A second thing that kept me coming back was that Dawg has been completely clear throughout what he's saying:  He likes Zay, but he thinks it's more likely than not that Zay will not be on roster at Day 1 because of the competition.  I still tend to agree with him.  I think Williams, Foster and Beasley will play ahead of Jones, and once Jones slips to the number 4 spot on the depth chart, he's at risk.  He isn't a special teamer and he doesn't have any special skills that make him look like a long-term answer.  

3.  The thread title is COMPLETELY clear.   "I'm Calling It Now" is a common phrase around here and among sports fans, and it's meaning is completely clear:  "I'm making a prediction."  It's like "I'm calling it now: the Bills will win the Super Bowl" - it's a prediction  Everyone should understand that a prediction is, fundamentally, a discussion of some future uncertainty.   And Dawg has been clear about that throughout - he admits Zay could be on the roster; he just thinks it's more likely that he won't.   The act of making a prediction does NOT mean that the predictor is saying the predicted event is certain to happen or that the opposite of the predicted event can't happen.  

Frankly, with Beasley down and with the free agent rookie kid down, Dawg's prediction isn't looking so good right now, but there's still a lot of football to be practiced between now and final cuts/trades.  

In regards to the "Im Calling It Now" I believe people see that more as a guarantee than a prediction, hence the confusion. 

Edit: I guess in these cases a guarantee is a prediction. It just has different connotations to it.

Edited by Bray Wyatt

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Just a reminder.... there were people who wanted to spend a top 10 pick on this.

Is that bad route/pass on the WR or very late throw by QB?

48 minutes ago, Bray Wyatt said:

In regards to the "Im Calling It Now" I believe people see that more as a guarantee than a prediction, hence the confusion. 

Edit: I guess in these cases a guarantee is a prediction. It just has different connotations to it.

When you hear some huckster on the Internet tell you to call his 800 number and he'll give you his dead-nuts-lock-of-the-weekend pro football bet, do take that as a guarantee?   If you do, send me your credit card number and I'll give you tomorrow night's baseball winners, guaranteed.  

• Haha (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Shaw66 said:

When you hear some huckster on the Internet tell you to call his 800 number and he'll give you his dead-nuts-lock-of-the-weekend pro football bet, do take that as a guarantee?   If you do, send me your credit card number and I'll give you tomorrow night's baseball winners, guaranteed.  

Are you calling the OP a huckster? LOL

Also, your point is irrelevant. It is not whether I believe it to be a guarantee, I am not the one making the statement. When I hear someone that says he gives me the dead nuts lock of the weekend football bet, I believe he believes that, hence the people's issue with the OP

I don't understand how this is any different than prognosticating who the surprise rookie of the year will be, our overall W-L record, or Allen becoming MVP this year--the point is, no need to jump on an OP for putting something out there, where at a minimum they follow it up with accurate facts to date and well reasoned arguments. Anyone is free to disagree with the take, but definitely no need to make it personal, ever, even if the take ends up in hindsight being faulty.