Calling it now: Zay Jones will not be on the week 1 roster.

Alphadawg7

13 minutes ago, Jay_Fixit said:

This thread has turned into this:

I know thats not why you posted this, but I saw this video too...I think the main issue for DK on routes like this is that he runs with so much power versus quickness.  You can see it when he takes off here, look at how high his knees go up and how long his stride is.  Its like he is putting every ounce of his power into going full out down field and then he has to slow that power down to make his break.  

He runs a blazing 4.3 forty, but he needs to learn you dont need to run at 4.3 speed on each route.  Jerry Rice was a 4.7 forty guy.  I think if DK can learn how to scale back some and run with more quickness than his explosive 4.3 speed he will start to hit these types of routes better.  

Good news for him is he landed in a near perfect place for him with great coaching and top tier QB.  And now with Baldwin having to retire, he will get every opportunity early to develop.  But he will have to find a way to play with finesse, not just trying to explode into every route.  

Edited by Alphadawg7

53 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I like that thread too :)

A for a thread that is nonsense to ya, you have participated throughout

Yeah.  I stated my thoughts on the topic.  Since then I’ve just been wondering how it’s still going on.

21 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I know thats not why you posted this, but I saw this video too...I think the main issue for DK on routes like this is that he runs with so much power versus quickness.  You can see it when he takes off here, look at how high his knees go up and how long his stride is.  Its like he is putting every ounce of his power into going full out down field and then he has to slow that power down to make his break.  

He runs a blazing 4.3 forty, but he needs to learn you dont need to run at 4.3 speed on each route.  Jerry Rice was a 4.7 forty guy.  I think if DK can learn how to scale back some and run with more quickness than his explosive 4.3 speed he will start to hit these types of routes better.  

Good news for him is he landed in a near perfect place for him with great coaching and top tier QB.  And now with Baldwin having to retire, he will get every opportunity early to develop.  But he will have to find a way to play with finesse, not just trying to explode into every route.  

He really did land in the perfect spot.  Good for him.  Glad we drafted Oliver and Ford instead of jinx 

16 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Yeah.  I stated my thoughts on the topic.  Since then I’ve just been wondering how it’s still going on.

He really did land in the perfect spot.  Good for him.  Glad we drafted Oliver and Ford instead of jinx 

I wasn't posting that much lately here myself, just come back when someone directly responds to me as a courtesy.  Not like I am afraid of the comments or even being wrong in the end.  

But yeah, I absolutely loved our draft and wouldn't change anything.  I got flamed endlessly when I suggested in my first mock we would draft Cody Ford in the 2nd because no one believe he would be there still.  So I was quite thrilled when we got him in the 2nd as he was a top 15 talent.  And there were multiple WR's I liked and had hoped for during the draft, but based on how the draft kept falling, our picks were perfect.  I was thrilled with our first 4 picks and all were guys I thought we might take in the draft.  Lots of talk leading up Bills were into Devin and Knox, so was kind of shocked when so many other people were surprised by those picks.  

I obviously would have loved adding a high potential WR like DK or Harry to the offense, but I wouldn't give up either Oliver or Ford for either one.  So draft was sensational IMO.  Of course, now they need to go out and prove themselves on the field, but as we sit today, Ford and Oliver look like guys who can anchor our lines for years.  

PS:  DK landing in Seattle kind of reminds me of Mahomes landing in KC.  A highly debated prospect with notable flaws to work on, but landed in an ideal scenario.  DK has a long way to go to take advantage of that like Mahomes did, but the initial landing spot and pre draft debate reminded me of that a bit.

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

The definition of a “click bait” thread is to MISLEAD someone to click on it.  

My title literally matches the subject of my post lol.  Just because you didn’t agree that Zay May have been in jeopardy doesn’t make the title click bait.

I guess if thread titles are all that matter in your mind, then you could always start “TSWitter” where it’s only Buffalo Bills thread titles and the comments that follow :nana: :thumbsup:

misleading is when the OP content doesn't match the title. from every explanation i've seen you give, "Calling it now: Zay Jones will not be on the week 1 roster", was not what the OP was about. or rather, it was but it wasn't, depending on which contradictory waffle you are trying to push atm.

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Foxx said:

misleading is when the OP content doesn't match the title. from every explanation i've seen you give, "Calling it now: Zay Jones will not be on the week 1 roster", was not what the OP was about. or rather, it was but it wasn't, depending on which contradictory waffle you are trying to push atm.

Huh?  LOL...sometimes I think I wrote the OP in a foreign language.  What were you "MISLEAD" to believe this thread was from the title that was not represented in my OP? 

Not asking this to be a jerk, I would be very much interested to hear you explain how this paragraph does not exactly align with my thread title...from why OP:  We are adding at least 2 additonal WR's (and maybe 3) this offseason expected to start or compete to start to go along with the 3 guys already here.  With McD and Beanes consistent comments about getting open and catching the ball, I think Zay is in trouble and will be a training camp or preseason trade for a 4th round or conditional 5th round pick.  

Not to mention, my OP was filled with supporting info on why I felt this scenario could play out.

Edited by Alphadawg7

46 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Huh?  LOL...sometimes I think I wrote the OP in a foreign language.  What were you "MISLEAD" to believe this thread was from the title that was not represented in my OP? 

Not asking this to be a jerk, I would be very much interested to hear you explain how this paragraph does not exactly align with my thread title...from why OP:  We are adding at least 2 additonal WR's (and maybe 3) this offseason expected to start or compete to start to go along with the 3 guys already here.  With McD and Beanes consistent comments about getting open and catching the ball, I think Zay is in trouble and will be a training camp or preseason trade for a 4th round or conditional 5th round pick.  

Not to mention, my OP was filled with supporting info on why I felt this scenario could play out.

i appreciate and respect what you bring to the board, Alpha. just because i don't always comment doesn't mean i don't read. with that disclaimer out of the way...

you seem to be discounting what your thread title says..., "Calling it now: Zay Jones will not be on the week 1 roster.". yes, you offer up reasons to support your thread title, no problem with that here. where the problem lies, in my estimation, is that the title is a declaration, a prediction if you will.  throughout the thread you vacillate back and forth, playing both sides of the equation apparently attempting to invalidate the prediction should you be wrong or in other words, covering all your bases. 

as much as i deride @transplantbillsfan for his history of failed prognostications, he at least has the temerity to stick to his guns. and he does so come hell or high water, which is, if nothing else, respectable. not saying you can't be respected but you can't have it both ways with a thread title such as the one you established this thread with.

might i suggest that if you want to have an argument that discusses the possibilities of both outcomes, that a thread title change might be desired. one that would more accurately reflect what you are proclaiming this thread to be about.

additionally, i should also add that OP has two meanings. OP: Opening Post and, OP: Original Poster. my previous post was referring to the latter, your content throughout the thread.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Foxx said:

i appreciate and respect what you bring to the board, Alpha. just because i don't always comment doesn't mean i don't read. with that disclaimer out of the way...

you seem to be discounting what your thread title says..., "Calling it now: Zay Jones will not be on the week 1 roster.". yes, you offer up reasons to support your thread title, no problem with that here. where the problem lies, in my estimation, is that the title is a declaration, a prediction if you will.  throughout the thread you vacillate back and forth, playing both sides of the equation apparently attempting to invalidate the prediction should you be wrong or in other words, covering all your bases. 

as much as i deride @transplantbillsfan for his history of failed prognostications, he at least has the temerity to stick to his guns. and he does so come hell or high water, which is, if nothing else, respectable. not saying you can't be respected but you can't have it both ways with a thread title such as the one you established this thread with.

might i suggest that if you want to have an argument that discusses the possibilities of both outcomes, that a thread title change might be desired. one that would more accurately reflect what you are proclaiming this thread to be about.

additionally, i should also add that OP has two meanings. OP: Opening Post and, OP: Original Poster. my previous post was referring to the latter, your content throughout the thread.

Maybe you really do love him in some sort of weird way. I'm appalled!

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Foxx said:

Very well put! and not to pile on, Alpha, but this is exactly what I and others have been trying to say for pages and pages of posts.  Foxx worded this very clearly.

@Alpha, hopefully that clarifies what others have said about:

1. thread title being misleading, click bait

2. waffling, covering your bases, or back pedaling

Please answer, is this thread meant to say:

1. Zay isn't going to make the team, bc of merit, being traded, etc

OR

2. Added WR competition will make for difficult roster decisions

Or both? I'll speak for myself when I say that I'm very confused still

7 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

In my opinion, yes,  and based on 50 pages of "discussion" it appears that many others agree. 

This would have been a far better title   - -calling-it-now-zay-jones-has-a-lot-of-work-to-do-OR- he-will-not-be-on-the-week-1-roster

there there would have been far less arguments 

LMAO...the topic of convo is exactly the same...literally changes nothing in the thread with that title.  And there are only a few of you that even cited an issue with the title.  

Again, you can always start TSWitter where its all about thread titles lol.  

4 hours ago, Foxx said:

All good man...and look, I am not offended and I have no issue with criticism, just like no one should have an issue with me responding with my thoughts on any said criticism.  But thanks for replying to an answer to my question, and I think I can see where the disconnect is a bit now.

On one hand, if you are familiar with me as a poster then it's safe to say you would know that I am not one who starts declaration/proclamation threads about things that haven't happened in the first place, nor do I go around in other threads making comments like that.  In fact, in my post history you will see me constantly stating that declaring anything before its happened as if its inevitable is foolish.  Like when people declared it was the "Wrong Josh" in freak outs or that Allen is a complete bust before he even got off the podium on draft night.  

On the other hand, you are right, there are plenty of posters who run around declaring things that haven't happened yet as fact and will go to all ends to argue that.  So I can see why TSW experience may make you feel that way, but who the poster is matters still, and I am not that type of poster.

So for me, I wrote the post first (like I normally do), then once its done I write a thread title.  My post ultimately became a prediction based on how I thought some things would happen that had not happened yet.  So when I made the title, I felt it was fair to reflect that it was a prediction thread.  I made it clear in the first lines of the post what kind of tone it had...it was a soft tone, simply opinion based, and not some declaration.  To me the title properly tells anyone wanting to click on it that this thread is about a prediction.

I mean at the end of the day, its a freaking thread title right. Its not the subject, its just a title. This is getting WAY out of hand discussing a title of a thread.  I mean if someone doesn't like the title, they don't have to participate.  

I respect the feedback...however, I stand by my thread title as properly representing what I was thinking in my first post.  I stand by my criticism of Zay as he earned them on the field.  I can't help it if people want to falsely form opinions on a subject based on the title...thats as foolish as forming an opinion on a movie by reading the DVD caption IMO.  And at the end of the day, I made a prediction and the title reflected that and I feel good about how I titled it.  

I am sorry if you feel different, but I am not like other posters.  So reading into my thread title based on your experience with other posters is out of my control.  No matter what I called it someone would have complained anyway, cant make every one happy.  

GO BILLS!

Edited by Alphadawg7

1 hour ago, MasterStrategist said:

Very well put! and not to pile on, Alpha, but this is exactly what I and others have been trying to say for pages and pages of posts.  Foxx worded this very clearly.

@Alpha, hopefully that clarifies what others have said about:

1. thread title being misleading, click bait

2. waffling, covering your bases, or back pedaling

Please answer, is this thread meant to say:

1. Zay isn't going to make the team, bc of merit, being traded, etc

OR

2. Added WR competition will make for difficult roster decisions

Or both? I'll speak for myself when I say that I'm very confused still

Its literally like a few of you repeating yourselves, its not lots of posters who have an issue on the title.  Its pretty comical this title thing is even carrying on.  And you and Shady are the majority of it.  

1.  I disagree, I do not think thread title is in any way misleading or click bait.  Thats your opinion and you are entitled to it...but my entire first post is a prediction, the title reflects that prediction.  There has yet to be a single logical statement that shows how it is "misleading".  

2.  Not once have I waffled...not once have I covered my bases.  I have said the same things throughout.  You cant seem to seperate being a Bills fan and rooting for a thread prediction to be correct.  You and a few others care WAY more than I do about being right.  I shared some thoughts on the situation, formed an OPINION, called it an OPINION since the first post and stayed TRUE to that opinion all the way.  You seem to think in order to not be "waffling" I have to have a full time agenda against Zay and root for his failure as if I hate him. I have said since day 1, I was a fan of him as a draft pick and want him to succeed.  Never once has that been different in this thread.

Now to answer your questions:

First, all you have to do is read my very first post and the quotes I already sent you to answer these questions.  I mean I don't know why I have to keep spelling it out, its literally right there.  But I will do it one more time, and honestly, the last time.

1. In the ORIGINAL post...it states:  We are adding at least 2 additonal WR's (and maybe 3) this offseason expected to start or compete to start to go along with the 3 guys already here.  With McD and Beanes consistent comments about getting open and catching the ball, I think Zay is in trouble and will be a training camp or preseason trade for a 4th round or conditional 5th round pick.
  2. See same answer as above.  

I am not trying to be a jerk here...but honestly, the answer to your question is right there.  And that was on February 27th.  And lots of people chimed in who felt the same, felt he was totally safe, who felt he is likely going to be here but not totally safe, etc.  And it spurned lots of great discussion on all sides...hence the point of an opinion based thread.  I cant control where other posters take the convos, but honestly it was like 90% on point the whole way.  

Edited by Alphadawg7

For the record...I am over talking about the title.  Its a free board, if people don't like the title are free to start their own thread and call it whatever they want.  All good, just beyond pointless at this point to keep talking to the same few people about a title.  But this title and topic went quite far and mostly a great thread until some title police started making an issue here late about the name of it.  Cant please everyone, nor do I intend to try to.  

GO BILLS...and honestly, GO ZAY! 

7 hours ago, Jay_Fixit said:

This thread has turned into this:

Dear gawd.. that was aweful. 

33 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

For the record...I am over talking about the title.  Its a free board, if people don't like the title are free to start their own thread and call it whatever they want.  All good, just beyond pointless at this point to keep talking to the same few people about a title.  But this title and topic went quite far and mostly a great thread until some title police started making an issue here late about the name of it.  Cant please everyone, nor do I intend to try to.  

Wait are you saying....

GO Zay! ... as In ‘do well’

Or 

GO! Zay... as in leave the roster? ?

11 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Dear gawd.. that was aweful. 

Wait are you saying....

GO Zay! ... as In ‘do well’

Or 

GO! Zay... as in leave the roster? ?

Hahaha...now that made me laugh...nice one

I will leave that in a shroud of mystery for everyones unique interpretation haha...

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I wonder if the nitpickers and the title police will come back here if indeed Zay is not on the roster to heap praise on you for your early Nostradamus like prediction. Somehow I doubt it. They will be hiding in the same place all the Mason Rudolph lovers are. Still a great thread and a lot of tremendous analysis in here both for and against Zay. 

• Awesome! (+1) 2