Calling it now: Zay Jones will not be on the week 1 roster.

Alphadawg7

Just now, SWATeam said:

What would you call 56 catches for 652 yards and 7 TD's in year two?  In that disaster of an offense that we fielded?

I'd call it a mediocre output when you delve a little deeper into when and how he was targeted and when and how those catches came. Less than 55% catch ratio.

I think Zay showed in 2018 that he deserves to be in the NFL (which he didn't as a rookie) but he hasn't yet shown that is has the skills to be a solid #2. He has to get open more and catch more of the balls that are thrown his way to be that.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I'd call it a mediocre output when you delve a little deeper into when and how he was targeted and when and how those catches came. Less than 55% catch ratio.

I think Zay showed in 2018 that he deserves to be in the NFL (which he didn't as a rookie) but he hasn't yet shown that is has the skills to be a solid #2. He has to get open more and catch more of the balls that are thrown his way to be that.

The jump from year one to year two was drastic.  I think he is ascending.  

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yet, many are still saying Zay isn't good enough and that Zay needs to improve.   

• Isn't it true that 90% of young NFL players need to improve season after season?  

I don't think anyone is claiming Zay is a #1.  Nor should it be said he's lucky to be a #4. 

Outlandish comments get outlandish replies.   Then things escalates and you end up with 50 page threads 

Just now, ShadyBillsFan said:

Yet, many are still saying Zay isn't good enough and that Zay needs to improve.   

• Isn't it true that 90% of young NFL players need to improve season after season?  

I don't think anyone is claiming Zay is a #1.  Nor should it be said he's lucky to be a #4. 

Outlandish comments get outlandish replies.   Then things escalates and you end up with 50 page threads 

He does still need to improve. I have held since the start of this thread, many, many moons ago... that I thought Zay would be on this roster but that it wasn't the most ridiculous prediction ever that he might not be. And I say that as someone who was high on Zay in the draft and gets higher on him with every semi nude.

Just now, GunnerBill said:

He does still need to improve. I have held since the start of this thread, many, many moons ago... that I thought Zay would be on this roster but that it wasn't the most ridiculous prediction ever that he might not be. And I say that as someone who was high on Zay in the draft and gets higher on him with every semi nude.

For clarity ..  I was speaking to the thread and not accusing you specifically 

(even though you are a bit harsher than some)   ;)

2 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

You dug a deep hole to climb out of with the OP.   And yes I /we've seen you "soften" your stance throughout. 

points 1-3

Season 1 was bad.  No argument there.   

Season 2 was markedly better.  Not "spectacular" but better.  

Season 3 ... with what little we see and hear is also shaping up.  Meaning we are not hearing a lot of criticism and if it is deserving you know the Buffalo media would be all over it. 

Zay will be on the field week one with Buffalo for 80% (min) of the snaps. 

Of course if he's starting it means he's earned it.    What Bill hasn't earned it in the McDermott regime (with the exception of Peterman).

P.S.  IMO -  Fosters "fame" was because he caught 3 deep passes and racked up yards.  [ some will claim it to be garbage time stats (not me) ]

What hole did I dig though?  Lol, some of you talk like everything depends on this thread lol.  Im not invested in Zay failing...I want him to succeed, always have.  But I am not going gloss over his struggles either and wouldn't do that with any player.  

I dont disagree with points 1 or 2 above...it was better...but it was also not good.  

Season 3 hasn't started yet...they are in shorts.  Nathan Peterman looks good in shorts.  There is little to criticize at this stage.  If you make it to the NFL, you should be able to catch passes against air.    

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, MasterStrategist said:

I did read the thread and you have gone back and forth with your stance, significantly back pedaling at times.

And as far as thread title, that is the first thing people read.

Put me in the crowd, of Zay will make the team.  Calling it now. 

Ridiculous to say he was cuttable his rookie year.  He is known as one of the hardest working players at his position on the team, and has the skills to be a solid #2 wr in this league.  

Your choice of words is about being right and wrong when you say someone is going to get cut or traded.  And you have been pretty defensive about ppl calling you out in several posts, so I interpret that as you being upset or bothered by the notion that someone would dare to call you out.  Just saying

Lol...no you didn't, you didn't read it...or if you did, you didn't pay attention.  Because I haven't back pedaled nor gone back and forth with my stance even once.  

There is nothing wrong with the thread title...it literally is a "prediction" thread title, which matches the body of the email.  I mean the very first lines of the OP clearly outline it was NOT some arrogant guarantee and just a simple opinion:  "I could be wrong, but this is just what I believe based on the additions I expect Beane to make in the WR room.  I have no issues if others don't agree, just my opinion on the matter, nothing more."  

Its not my fault if you want to make up your own narrative on a thread title and skip the very first line of the actual post.  

And on the "cuttable" comment, you are taking that differently from what I said.  I was not implying he SHOULD have bene cut or was about to be cut.  I said he went out and had a "cuttable" season on the field in terms of how he performed.  Meaning, other people have been cut for seasons who weren't as bad, but they didn't have the kind of leash a 2nd round rookie will have that they traded up to get.  So its NOT ridiculous to grade the season that it was bad enough it would get other guys cut if they went out and performed the same.  

On you last point...wrong again.  Never once I have ever said he would be cut, further showing you didn't read the thread as I said this over and over again from the beginning.  My case from my very first post in this thread was that I felt Zay would slip on the depth chart against better competition.  The second part was that Beane loves getting value and draft assets.  So if Zay fell on the depth chart, I felt Beane would try and trade him while he had value before a season of a backup role would further diminish his trade value.  

And again, not defensive at all.  Why is it if people directly address a poster and said poster then responds its supposed to mean one is upset or defensive?  I mean its pretty funny you say that after a few posts back claiming I should be out here defending my thread lol.  

Since the get go, I have had no issues with people on the other side of the fence.  I acknowledged I was taking a chance early in this thread with this prediction, but it was just how I felt.  Literally started the thread by saying "I could be wrong"...yet now here you are thinking I am "back pedaling" or going "back and forth with my stance" as if I give 2 craps about my thoughts on 2/27 being right.  I find that comical actually, not upset at all.  

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

What hole did I dig though?

calling-it-now-zay-jones-will-not-be-on-the-week-1-roster

come on, really?   That ^ says it all.   

If your title doesn't match the thread content then it is deceiving, whether done on purpose or  not. 

Honestly .............   Who's glossing over his struggles?  

I believe I stated the rationale in my post. 

I don't think anyone is claiming Zay is a #1.  Nor should it be said he's lucky to be a #4. 

Outlandish comments get outlandish replies.   

I believe it's perceived that people are glossing over his struggles and juts as it's perceived that people are saying he sucks.  

Edited by ShadyBillsFan
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Lol...no you didn't, you didn't read it...or if you did, you didn't pay attention.  Because I haven't back pedaled nor gone back and forth with my stance even once.  

There is nothing wrong with the thread title...it literally is a "prediction" thread title, which matches the body of the email.  I mean the very first lines of the OP clearly outline it was NOT some arrogant guarantee and just a simple opinion:  "I could be wrong, but this is just what I believe based on the additions I expect Beane to make in the WR room.  I have no issues if others don't agree, just my opinion on the matter, nothing more."  

Its not my fault if you want to make up your own narrative on a thread title and skip the very first line of the actual post.  

And on the "cuttable" comment, you are taking that differently from what I said.  I was not implying he SHOULD have bene cut or was about to be cut.  I said he went out and had a "cuttable" season on the field in terms of how he performed.  Meaning, other people have been cut for seasons who weren't as bad, but they didn't have the kind of leash a 2nd round rookie will have that they traded up to get.  So its NOT ridiculous to grade the season that it was bad enough it would get other guys cut if they went out and performed the same.  

On you last point...wrong again.  Never once I have ever said he would be cut, further showing you didn't read the thread as I said this over and over again from the beginning.  My case from my very first post in this thread was that I felt Zay would slip on the depth chart against better competition.  The second part was that Beane loves getting value and draft assets.  So if Zay fell on the depth chart, I felt Beane would try and trade him while he had value before a season of a backup role would further diminish his trade value.  

And again, not defensive at all.  Why is it if people directly address a poster and said poster then responds its supposed to mean one is upset or defensive?  I mean its pretty funny you say that after a few posts back claiming I should be out here defending my thread lol.  

Since the get go, I have had no issues with people on the other side of the fence.  I acknowledged I was taking a chance early in this thread with this prediction, but it was just how I felt.  Literally started the thread by saying "I could be wrong"...yet now here you are thinking I am "back pedaling" or going "back and forth with my stance" as if I give 2 craps about my thoughts on 2/27 being right.  I find that comical actually, not upset at all.  

I am just sharing my interpretation of your posts, word choice.  We can agree to disagree on all of this.

You're the one pointing out I'm wrong, you're right...seems a little defensive if you ask me.  I'm just sharing an opinion, and you seem to be getting upset at my reactions.  So be it

3 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

If your title doesn't match the thread content then it is deceiving, whether done on purpose or  not. 

BINGO!  

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

I don't think anyone is claiming Zay is a #1.  Nor should it be said he's lucky to be a #4. 

I believe it's perceived that people are glossing over his struggles and juts as it's perceived that people are saying he sucks.  

is the OP's title really that outlandish? I personally have always thought the chances of jones being on the roster were solid, but I cant call it outlandish when somebody liking the additions beane has made and teaming with the fact that jones hasn't been good and predicting jones may not make the roster.

that's not some crazy over the top prediction. and like the OP has stated the improvement from year 1 to year 2 was basically like polishing a freaking turd. hopefully he takes yet another jump.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Stank_Nasty said:

is the OP's title really that outlandish? I personally have always thought the chances of jones being on the roster were solid, but I cant call it outlandish when somebody liking the additions beane has made and teaming with the fact that jones hasn't been good and predicting jones may not make the roster.

that's not some crazy over the top prediction. and like the OP has stated the improvement from year 1 to year 2 was basically like polishing a freaking turd. hopefully he takes yet another jump.

In my opinion, yes,  and based on 50 pages of "discussion" it appears that many others agree. 

This would have been a far better title   - -calling-it-now-zay-jones-has-a-lot-of-work-to-do-OR- he-will-not-be-on-the-week-1-roster

there there would have been far less arguments 

• Like (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

In my opinion, yes,  and based on 50 pages of "discussion" it appears that many others agree. 

This would have been a far better title   - -calling-it-now-zay-jones-has-a-lot-of-work-to-do-OR- he-will-not-be-on-the-week-1-roster

there there would have been far less arguments 

Thats not the recipe for a 50 page thread.

Here is the Recipe...

1) clickbait like over the top prediction headline 

2) respond to every single post

3) spend the entire thread backpedaling from outlandish clickbait headline hedging with, “hope I’m wrong”, “really like the guy”, “not into I told you so’s” (although if Zay is cut or traded, there will be of course, an ‘I told- you-so’) 

its all  good fun though... gotta pass the off season somehow...

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

What are you even talking about here...lol.  

No offense here, but this is about the worst reply I have seen in this thread.  "Come on, really?  That ^ says it all." is about the most ridiculous comment anyone could write about the basis of a thread.  A title literally says nothing other than to indicate the subject of a thread.  The actual post will “say it all”. 

Thats like going to book stores and reading the quotes on the back of a book jacket and then going around arguing with people who did actually read the book as if you know anything about the book.  

And...again, nothing wrong with the thread title...it was a prediction based on thoughts I had about events that had not happened yet.  Thread title clearly identified that it was a prediction and the body of the OP stated the basis of those thoughts and that it was simply just an opinion, not a guarantee.  

22 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Here is the Recipe...

3) spend the entire thread backpedaling from outlandish clickbait headline hedging with, “hope I’m wrong”, “really like the guy”, “not into I told you so’s” (although if Zay is cut or traded, there will be of course, an ‘I told- you-so’) 

Ha...so let me get this straight...guess the prerequisite then here is to form an agenda against Zay, hate him, dismiss all positive signs at all times as non existent, and rail on him to no end all in vain to defend a thread?  

Now that you mention it...that does sound more TSW like and on par with many of the posters here.  

My mistake for actually preferring a player on the Bills to succeed vs "winning the internet".  Guess that equates to “back pedaling” even though I have said that since the early days of this thread lol.

I do agree, is been a fun thread none the less

Edited by Alphadawg7

54 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

I am just sharing my interpretation of your posts, word choice.  We can agree to disagree on all of this.

You're the one pointing out I'm wrong, you're right...seems a little defensive if you ask me.  I'm just sharing an opinion, and you seem to be getting upset at my reactions.  So be it

BINGO!  

All good.  Agree to disagree is fine.  To be clear, I’m not irritated or defensive, just commenting on the things you said that I didn’t feel were accurate reflections to my actual statements or opinions.  

17 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

No offense here, but this is about the worst reply I have seen in this thread.  "Come on, really?  That ^ says it all." is about the most ridiculous comment anyone could write about the basis of a thread.  A title literally says nothing other than to indicate the SUBJECT of what is about to be written about in a thread.  The actual post under the thread says it all, including the VERY FIRST lines of the post.  Thats like going to book stores and reading the quotes on the back of a book jacket and then going around arguing with people who did actually read the book as if you know anything about the book.  

And...again, nothing wrong with the thread title...it was a prediction based on thoughts I had about events that had not happened yet.  Thread title clearly identified that it was a prediction and the body of the OP stated the basis of those thoughts and that it was simply just an opinion, not a guarantee.  

Lol...so let me get this straight.  I guess the prerequisite then here is to form an agenda against Zay, hate him, dismiss all positive signs at all times as non existent, and rail on him to no end all in vain to defend a thread?  Now that you mention it...that does sound more TSW like and on par with many of the posters here.  My bad for having an honest and open discussion and actually preferring a player on the Bills to succeed vs "winning the internet".  LOL

I do agree, is been a fun thread none the less

50+ pages of nonsense imo.  Zay will be on the squad come week 1.  The thread will probably be 150 pages of nonsense by then.  How much hypothetical regurgitation can be recycled?

you should put your time and effort into this thread.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

26 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Here is the Recipe...

So is this kind of like Dunkirk Don's Draft Board Thread

Entertainment for the offseason 

• Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, NewEra said:

50+ pages of nonsense imo.  Zay will be on the squad come week 1.  The thread will probably be 150 pages of nonsense by then.  How much hypothetical regurgitation can be recycled?

I like that thread too :)

A for a thread that is nonsense to ya, you have participated throughout

Edited by Alphadawg7

35 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

No offense here, but this is about the worst reply I have seen in this thread.  "Come on, really?  That ^ says it all." is about the most ridiculous comment anyone could write about the basis of a thread.  A title literally says nothing other than to indicate the subject of a thread.  The actual post will “say it all”. 

Thats like going to book stores and reading the quotes on the back of a book jacket and then going around arguing with people who did actually read the book as if you know anything about the book.  

It seems to me that the title should reflect the authors initial thoughts, otherwise, what  it comes down to really is Click bait.

I reiterate - had you written the title differently then half of this subject would be moot.  

We all know he needs to show continued improvement as does any young player to remain on the team.   

Its a Captain Obvious moment.  

7 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I like that thread too :)

A for a thread that is nonsense to ya, you have participated throughout

Take note as to how many times I posted in Trannys thread.   You'll see it was very little.  

I also just  took Tranny off my ignore list a few weeks ago.  

Hell there was a span in here where I stayed away for a week because there was not much to add to the subject.

I'll have to follow suit again until Minicamps start 

Edited by ShadyBillsFan
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, ShadyBillsFan said:

It seems to me that the title should reflect the authors initial thoughts, otherwise it comes down to is really Click bait.

I reiterate - had you written the title differently then half of this subject would be moot.  

We all know he needs to show continued improvement as does any young player to remain on the team.   

Its a Captain Obvious moment.  

The definition of a “click bait” thread is to MISLEAD someone to click on it.  

My title literally matches the subject of my post lol.  Just because you didn’t agree that Zay May have been in jeopardy doesn’t make the title click bait.

I guess if thread titles are all that matter in your mind, then you could always start “TSWitter” where it’s only Buffalo Bills thread titles and the comments that follow :nana: :thumbsup:

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Interestingly, in that thread, we learn the pinnicle of all time great QBing we need josh to aspire to Joe Flacco.... greatest playoff QB in NFL history. 

• Haha (+1) 1