Calling it now: Zay Jones will not be on the week 1 roster.

Alphadawg7

We will see how it all unfolds soon enough, wish all the WR's the best and hope they all make it a difficult decision for the coaches. Until then, everyone has pretty much made their points and it's not going to sway another persons opinion one way or other.

I hope to see them all come out and put in a strong camp and preseason as I'm sure most of everyone else hopes for the same. So in my case anyways, I'm going to revisit this thread after we see what we get on the 53 and starting line-up. Hope EVERY PLAYER lights it up.

Go Bills!

Edited by Patrick_Duffy
  • Like (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...

I know it's just OTAs but this theory doesn't look good right now:

https://expo.newyorkupstate.com/sports/g66l-2019/05/eb79ee4188dc4/buffalo-bills-otas-2019-10-things-we-learned-about-josh-allen-ed-oliver-and-more-from-week-1.html

5. Zay Jones may just be Bills No. 1 receiver

Zay Jones got the No. 1 receiver snaps at practice and was the first man in line on all the individual drills. When Kelvin Benjamin was traded last season Jones spoke about needing to step up and become one of the leaders in the receiver room. The Bills added veterans Cole Beasley (who didn't participate because of a core muscle injury) and John Brown (who also didn't practice for unknown reasons) to bolster the receiving corps.

With the caveat that Brown and Beasley didn't practice. I still feel pretty good about my prediction that Zay will end up sharing time as the #3 outside receiver.

• Like (+1) 4

On 5/11/2019 at 3:57 PM, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...somebody here did some great analytical research into breking down Zay's stats, which I believed showed some garbage time enhancements...Cliff Notes Version IMO says it is a brand new year and put up or pack.....

So far he has put up.  Dude is stacked.

On 5/21/2019 at 6:17 PM, HappyDays said:

https://expo.newyorkupstate.com/sports/g66l-2019/05/eb79ee4188dc4/buffalo-bills-otas-2019-10-things-we-learned-about-josh-allen-ed-oliver-and-more-from-week-1.html

With the caveat that Brown and Beasley didn't practice. I still feel pretty good about my prediction that Zay will end up sharing time as the #3 outside receiver.

Meh. As much as I give alpha a hard time here, there’s almost no way he lines up anywhere but 1 with those guys out and it being the start of the offseason.

even if they weren’t big fans it’s where he’d start the OTAs

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/12/2019 at 4:57 AM, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...somebody here did some great analytical research into breking down Zay's stats, which I believed showed some garbage time enhancements...Cliff Notes Version IMO says it is a brand new year and put up or pack.....

If those stats are the ones I think you mean, they were highly justified and selected for their negative look.

Brand new year? Agreed. Gotta win your spot? Agreed. But his trajectory right now is upward. IMO he'll make it and it won't be all that close. But if he levels out and doesn't improve at all, he could be gone. I'd say that's true of everyone on the roster but the two FA pickups this year, though.

On 5/12/2019 at 6:01 AM, Alphadawg7 said:

This is true, nothing wrong with what you said.  

However, when Zay ONLY shows up in these end game moments that don’t matter or only against the weaker opposition, it’s concerning.  While all WRs benefit from these same situations, they also contribute more overall throughout the season, in tougher/closer games, in important moments, etc. Especially when you see an UDFA throw down three 100 yard games in his last 7 and be a big part of wins or close losses while Zay has really done none of that or very little over 2 years as a starter.  

Zay has had less than 40 yards in over 70% of his career games.  He doesn’t have the resume to get the benefit of the doubt.  He has also hurt us badly in multiple games this year and last year that directly contributed to our loss because he didn’t make the play when he needed to.

So when we see him make plays when the game is all but decided and fail to often when we really needed him to make the play, it’s concerning.  

At the end of the day, Zay hasn’t been a guy we can count on.  He has to change that and show he can be or he won’t be here.  

Yes, that would be concerning.

But he did not only show up then.

Yes, he's started slow. That was a major concern for Eric Moulds too, who started a lot slower than Zay did. Again, Zay this year has already outperformed Moulds' first two yeras combined. Plenty of receivers start slow their first year or two. But it was a good sign that Zay improved quite a bit as last season went on.

Edited by Thurman#1

31 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Yes, that would be concerning.

But he did not only show up then.

Yes, he's started slow. That was a major concern for Eric Moulds too, who started a lot slower than Zay did. Again, Zay this year has already outperformed Moulds' first two yeras combined. Plenty of receivers start slow their first year or two. But it was a good sign that Zay improved quite a bit as last season went on.

No disrespect intended here...but why do people keep bringing up Moulds?  I mean, its a silly argument.  I can go through history on any subject and find some random example of how it went one time.  By no means does it mean its going to repeat exactly the same under different circumstances.

I mean there are literally no similarities between Zay and Moulds other than they both play(ed) WR for the Bills.  They are not the same player, not the same circumstances, not the same offense, not the same era, not the same system, etc etc.  

That being said, I will be pulling for Zay to become an important WR like Moulds was for the Bills even if I am skeptical on how he will fare against stiff competition.  I like the kid, so hopefully he takes a big step forward this year.  I mean ultimately, I can care less about being right in a discussion about a feeling I had in the beginning of the offseason.  I would much rather see Zay become a big time player for this team and will cheer for it to happen.  Will be a good competition to watch unfold this year.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1

On 5/21/2019 at 4:17 PM, HappyDays said:

If anyone looks back at my posts, I literally said that Zay and Foster would almost certainly open OTA's and Camp as the starting WR's just on the sheer fact they know the offense and system.  McD has said many times, there is no depth chart this time of year too.  Add in that Brown and Cole didn't even suit up, and there was literally 0% chance that anyone but Foster and Zay would get first team reps.

In fact, I would bet that both Foster and Zay will likely start the first preseason game too.  Brown, Cole, and Duke will all have to show they know the playbook (and also be healthy) before getting a shot at some time with the ones.  

I was happy to see Zay have some success...but I would pump the brakes...Nathan Peterman looked good in shorts in May too, so lets not get ahead of ourselves.  Zay hasn't even begun to compete with the other guys yet for playing time.  

That being said, I would MUCH RATHER be wrong about something I felt in the beginning of the off season and see Zay excel.  I still remain skeptical until I see it on the field, but I liked the kids interview and mentality during OTA's.  But saying the right things means very little, he needs to show he can be consistent on the field and sincerely hope he does.  

The Dory Thread it keeps swimming along 

4bf9406a-f6d2-4090-ba7b-3752808b1427.png

On 5/10/2019 at 2:17 PM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

There's a lot of subjectivity which makes this hard to assess.  For example, in Game 2 as you note, One of them was a 57 yard Josh Allen bomb that he juggled and double caught.  The score at that point was 21-3. The 57 yard catch came with about a minute left in the half. He made a nice a adjustment on that deep ball, but if he catches it clean, he should score (this is where RAC comes in).  No argument that Zay double-clutched the catch.  To my eyes, it was a wheel route where Allen's throw was inside and short and Zay made a big-boy adjustment to get there and haul it in at all.  So there's the subjectivity - is it more on Zay, for double clutching, or more on Allen, for launching a somewhat off-target missile that required adjustment?

What I find kind of funny is how people are saying Foster came along very well and put up yardage.  

Were't two of his plays, long bombs from Josh,  very similar to the play in bold above? 

On 5/11/2019 at 1:38 PM, Doc said:

If Brown drops everything thrown to him, or refuses to practice, or can't learnt the playbook, yeah, he likely sits.  But I don't envision him suddenly doing that.

Yep. Same could be said for Beasley . He didn't have the drops in Dallas like Zay did from the slot last year. I do think the little light bulb went off for Zay this off-season with the addition of Beasley. Think Mcbean's attitude is like " B word you're gonna act like a little kid in your approach we will being in a man to teach you." I think Zay's attitude and approach this off-season says he gets that he's on notice.

9 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

No disrespect intended here...but why do people keep bringing up Moulds?   

I haven't been keeping up with this thread, but for me it reminds me of how Moulds came back after one offseason just completely physically transformed, and he broke out that year.  The dedication and discipline and taking things seriously by preparing your body in the offseason, coming back totally jacked shows you're finally in the right head space and ready to take your career to the next level.  That's what I'm hoping is happening with Zay right now based on reports he's "bigger, stronger, faster"?

On 5/11/2019 at 2:01 PM, Alphadawg7 said:

This is true, nothing wrong with what you said.  

However, when Zay ONLY shows up in these end game moments that don’t matter or only against the weaker opposition, it’s concerning.  While all WRs benefit from these same situations, they also contribute more overall throughout the season, in tougher/closer games, in important moments, etc. Especially when you see an UDFA throw down three 100 yard games in his last 7 and be a big part of wins or close losses while Zay has really done none of that or very little over 2 years as a starter.  

Zay has had less than 40 yards in over 70% of his career games.  He doesn’t have the resume to get the benefit of the doubt.  He has also hurt us badly in multiple games this year and last year that directly contributed to our loss because he didn’t make the play when he needed to.

So when we see him make plays when the game is all but decided and fail to often when we really needed him to make the play, it’s concerning.  

At the end of the day, Zay hasn’t been a guy we can count on.  He has to change that and show he can be or he won’t be here.  

I got $100 (or $500 or $20) that says Zay makes the 53, injuries not withstanding

10 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

what about a trade?

(devils advocate by the way.  I believe Zay will make the roster and have a good year for us)

Knowing Beane, trade = a push.  He’d trade anyone on the team for the right price.  

• Like (+1) 1

Just remeber guys, hot takes for or against Zay at this point are pointless. At this point last year Malachi Dupre was lighting it up and Robert Foster was terrible. It's too early. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown
  • Like (+1) 1

The Buffalo News has a new story on Zay Jones.  Link is on the opening (news) page of TBD.  It explains how, due to injury, this is the first offseason where Zay has been able to focus on strength and conditioning work.  He's added 10 lbs of muscle and got both stronger and faster.  Yes, he has to continue working on the drops issue, but he did shot significant improvement in the latter part of last season with drops.  

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

No disrespect intended here...but why do people keep bringing up Moulds?  I mean, its a silly argument.  I can go through history on any subject and find some random example of how it went one time.  By no means does it mean its going to repeat exactly the same under different circumstances.

I mean there are literally no similarities between Zay and Moulds other than they both play(ed) WR for the Bills.  They are not the same player, not the same circumstances, not the same offense, not the same era, not the same system, etc etc.  

That being said, I will be pulling for Zay to become an important WR like Moulds was for the Bills even if I am skeptical on how he will fare against stiff competition.  I like the kid, so hopefully he takes a big step forward this year.  I mean ultimately, I can care less about being right in a discussion about a feeling I had in the beginning of the offseason.  I would much rather see Zay become a big time player for this team and will cheer for it to happen.  Will be a good competition to watch unfold this year.  

Id be remiss not to point out how you can find a GOAT qb in the 6th Rd 199 overall. IT CAN HAPPEN!!!! ??

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, NewEra said:

I got $100 (or $500 or $20) that says Zay makes the 53, injuries not withstanding

You've missed the entire point of this thread.  This right here says to me that you're here hoping to get an "I told you so" moment even though this was never a right or wrong thread, it was an open discussion on how the offseason COULD impact Zay's future.  

I could care less if my gut feeling on February 27th comes true or not.  This was an open discussion about the possibility of what the offseason would add to the WR room and how that may impact the 53 man roster week 1.  Some of you seem to only be invested in hoping to get an "I told you so" notch on your belt.  Which is funny, because everyone on this board has been "wrong" about many thoughts or predictions many more times than being right, so the "I told you so" is a pretty worthless accomplishment.

So, no, I am not interested in your bet.  I actually do not want to root against Zay, I MUCH PREFER seeing him go out and seize his opportunities and make this team better over betting against him and hoping he fails just so some stupid thought last February can be proven right and I can say "I told you so" and win money.  

I am a Bills fan...I want to cheer Zay on, not root against him.  

• Like (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

You've missed the entire point of this thread.  This right here says to me that you're here hoping to get an "I told you so" moment even though this was never a right or wrong thread, it was an open discussion on how the offseason COULD impact Zay's future.  

I could care less if my gut feeling on February 27th comes true or not.  This was an open discussion about the possibility of what the offseason would add to the WR room and how that may impact the 53 man roster week 1.  Some of you seem to only be invested in hoping to get an "I told you so" notch on your belt.  Which is funny, because everyone on this board has been "wrong" about many thoughts or predictions many more times than being right, so the "I told you so" is a pretty worthless accomplishment.

So, no, I am not interested in your bet.  I actually do not want to root against Zay, I MUCH PREFER seeing him go out and seize his opportunities and make this team better over betting against him and hoping he fails just so some stupid thought last February can be proven right and I can say "I told you so" and win money.  

I am a Bills fan...I want to cheer Zay on, not root against him.  

I think you’re reading into this too much.  I’m just trying to make some money.  If you accepted the bet I’d probably be making some money.  Can’t hurt to throw it out there

33 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I think you’re reading into this too much.  I’m just trying to make some money.  If you accepted the bet I’d probably be making some money.  Can’t hurt to throw it out there

Fair enough, and all good man.  Its just that you're not the first person to make a bet proposal, and the others had different intentions behind them.  Was told in posts and DM to "put my money where my mouth is" because my criticisms of Zay are stupid even though nearly 50 pages show the criticisms are shared thoughts and more than fair thus far in his early career.  So when I see another one, the default response is its just more of that nonsense.