Calling it now: Zay Jones will not be on the week 1 roster.

Alphadawg7

for O, we are following the pats system, which is put players in a position to do what they do well, and selecting players that do what you need them to do, not what a traditional O does.  Speed over the top, getting open underneath, and dynamic physical play are emphasized.  also, being called upon when it is advantageous vs the D instead of calling dude's number early to get him involved.

on paper, jones SHOULD be able to do a few of those things, but he just hasn't shown it consistently.

for him to make the team, he's going to have to find a role (or roles) in the O and show that he can execute them better than whoever else is ahead of him on the depth chart.  i honestly think he does have that in him, but he's against the wall and the clock is ticking, he's gonna have to make big improvements fast.

he's honestly super lucky DK didn't fall into the 3rd round, or else i bet we woulda picked him and it's good night zay.

37 minutes ago, Doc said:

Actually they are.  As a raw rookie no less. 

While true, it still took Foster 3/4 of the season to "get it" with a QB who wasn't hesitant to throw the ball with anticipation.  

I couldn't find the stats I was looking for so my point is kind of moot w/o some data to back it up. 

1 hour ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

While true, it still took Foster 3/4 of the season to "get it" with a QB who wasn't hesitant to throw the ball with anticipation.

Yes it took him half the season to figure things out. But when he did, he showed a lot of promise.

On 5/4/2019 at 11:16 AM, Alphadawg7 said:

Kelvin Benjamin has highlight reels too.  

Stevie Johnson has highlight reels too.

Both unemployed in their prime age years.

Just saying ;) 

I feel like you hate Zay Jones and want him to fail.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Rob's House said:

I feel like you hate Zay Jones and want him to fail.

I dont hate him, said it many times in this thread.  Will be happy for him to prove my skepticism wrong.  I even liked it when we drafted him, albeit I preferred JuJu as I saw more of him living in LA.  But still was excited about Zay.  

Im just being honest about what he’s done so far.  I was one of just a few people who liked the Stevie Johnson pick too.  And after watching him over several years, my earlier excitement grew critical of how he really played.  I was in the minority then too and people said I was crazy for doubting him just because he had 3 consecutive 1000 yard seasons. But he barley eclipsed 1000 yards in a pass happy offense as number 1 target with a gunslinging QB.  And he was always piling on stats at ends of blow out losses and irrelevant during close games too often or when it mattered. 

Once he left Buffalo he proved he was just another guy despite playing with a future HOF QB and was out of the league in his prime.

Not saying that’s going to happen to Zay, just saying that just because you are a fan of the Bills doesn’t mean you can’t be critically honest either even when you liked the player.

4 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Nah. He just wants to be right about Zay not being on the team week 1.  

That might be the dumbest comment yet.  I don’t post with your type agendas.  

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I dont hate him, said it many times in this thread.  Will be happy for him to prove my skepticism wrong.  I even liked it when we drafted him, albeit I preferred JuJu as I saw more of him living in LA.  But still was excited about Zay.  

Hey, I said you didn't hate him.   

But its obvious you don't have faith in him either 

2 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Hey, I said you didn't hate him.   

But its obvious you don't have faith in him either 

It would be easier to have faith if he once showed the ability to catch without fighting the ball. 

At this point, if you're appealing to faith, then it's a blind faith because he hasn't shown enough to merit anything else.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

53 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Im just being honest about what he’s done so far.  I was one of just a few people who liked the Stevie Johnson pick too.  And after watching him over several years, my earlier excitement grew critical of how he really played.  I was in the minority then too and people said I was crazy for doubting him just because he had 3 consecutive 1000 yard seasons. But he barley eclipsed 1000 yards in a pass happy offense as number 1 target with a gunslinging QB.  And he was always piling on stats at ends of blow out losses and irrelevant during close games too often or when it mattered. 

Once he left Buffalo he proved he was just another guy despite playing with a future HOF QB and was out of the league in his prime.

Not saying that’s going to happen to Zay, just saying that just because you are a fan of the Bills doesn’t mean you can’t be critically honest either even when you liked the player.

I was just yanking your chain.

• Haha (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, GG said:

It would be easier to have faith if he once showed the ability to catch without fighting the ball. 

At this point, if you're appealing to faith, then it's a blind faith because he hasn't shown enough to merit anything else.  

3 years ....  The average lifespan of an NFL player.   Will he Succeed or Fail?   

IMO  Its too early to tell.  

Just now, ShadyBillsFan said:

3 years ....  The average lifespan of an NFL player.   Will he Succeed or Fail?   

IMO  Its too early to tell.  

He had the prime opportunity to solidify the No. 1 WR last year while surrounded by garbage for most of the season.  He stunk and only appeared when the downs didn't matter.

Everybody killed Clay for dropping a tough pass vs Miami, and that gave Jones a pass for a horrific bobble of a great toss by Allen.  That play is emblematic of Zay's catching ability, and it's a longshot to think that something will light up where he can show to be more than a #6 WR on a team with bad WRs

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, GG said:

He had the prime opportunity to solidify the No. 1 WR last year while surrounded by garbage for most of the season.  He stunk and only appeared when the downs didn't matter.

Everybody killed Clay for dropping a tough pass vs Miami, and that gave Jones a pass for a horrific bobble of a great toss by Allen.  That play is emblematic of Zay's catching ability, and it's a longshot to think that something will light up where he can show to be more than a #6 WR on a team with bad WRs

Tell me more about this "horrific bobble of a great toss by Allen"

3 hours ago, GG said:

It's this kind of thing that has me rolling my eyes here.

Once, eh?

Oh here, let's go for twice, got a clearer shot of the catch in this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpUJDiP57Rs

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Im just being honest about what he’s done so far.  I was one of just a few people who liked the Stevie Johnson pick too.  And after watching him over several years, my earlier excitement grew critical of how he really played.  

Agree with much of your assessment of Zay, but I'm not following the SJ13 critique. Stevie flamed out relatively young because he had zero margin for error in terms of athleticism. Once it slipped, he was done. Moulds was a far superior player, but he hit the same wall at the age of 30. It happens.

Gotta be a top 2 or 3 7th round draft pick in team HISTORY. Not sure who didn't like the pick.

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It's this kind of thing that has me rolling my eyes here.

Once, eh?

Oh here, let's go for twice, got a clearer shot of the catch in this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpUJDiP57Rs

Funny how you link a TD for a game that's out of hand.

Here's a handful with the game was still in doubt (cued at 30 seconds).  The one at 52 seconds is my favorite.

Then check at 1:19 for a catch that any NFL WR should make with ease.  But, no.

I'm glad he's dedicated the offseason to the weight room.  Let's see if it turns him into a WR.

• Like (+1) 2

http://stats.washingtonpost.com/fb/tmleaders.asp?range=nfl&rank=232&type=receiving

Passes Dropped

Rank Team Dropped Passes
1 Jacksonville Jaguars 33
2 Denver Broncos 29
3 Indianapolis Colts 28
4 Cincinnati Bengals 25
5 Kansas City Chiefs 24
6 New England Patriots 23
7 Oakland Raiders 22
8 Minnesota Vikings 22
9 Cleveland Browns 20
10 Green Bay Packers 20
11 New York Giants 19
12 New York Jets 19

18  Buffalo Bills  16

Not to confuse the matter with facts ....  Drops happen 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

http://stats.washingtonpost.com/fb/tmleaders.asp?range=nfl&rank=232&type=receiving

Passes Dropped

Rank Team Dropped Passes
2 Denver Broncos 29
3 Indianapolis Colts 28
4 Cincinnati Bengals 25
5 Kansas City Chiefs 24
7 Oakland Raiders 22
8 Minnesota Vikings 22
9 Cleveland Browns 20
10 Green Bay Packers 20
11 New York Giants 19
12 New York Jets 19

18  Buffalo Bills  16

ouch! Mahomes and Brady need better receivers.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Passes Dropped

Rank Team Dropped Passes
2 Denver Broncos 29
3 Indianapolis Colts 28
4 Cincinnati Bengals 25
5 Kansas City Chiefs 24
7 Oakland Raiders 22
8 Minnesota Vikings 22
9 Cleveland Browns 20
10 Green Bay Packers 20
11 New York Giants 19
12 New York Jets 19

18  Buffalo Bills  16

That number for the Bills is complete crap.

• Like (+1) 1