Calling it now: Zay Jones will not be on the week 1 roster.

Alphadawg7

6 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

I think the guys that adjust best to the passes passes are going to make over those who excel at other things. 

It’s an interesting topic because the WR room could really go any which way AND Josh’s development will heavily influence the depth chart top to bottom imo 

This is my thinking too.  It's all about Josh Allen taking the next step.  Try to put the guys on the field that play the best with JA whoever they are.

I really hope that's high on Daboll's to do list.

2 hours ago, nedboy7 said:

I’d love for you to walk up to Kyle and tell him that to his face. That they didn’t really deserve to be there. Cause they didn’t do ***** for 16 weeks and then got lucky cause of one play?  Please. 

You clearly don’t understand what it take to play in the NFL. 

Is that you Tuhrod? 

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Sure separates and adjusts to off target throws for a guy who won’t make the team. 

You know what I did not see a lot of?

turning stopping and waiting for the QB to pass the damn ball!!!!

4 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

So thank you Andy Dalton? 

This.  ? 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Guess you nailed Trent. I was really impressed with his training camp clips. Back then the bills shared a lot of camp video. But you could see him melt in live action when he didn’t have the red jersey on. 

People blame the concussion, but I’m a skeptic it made any difference. 

I share skepticism on the whole passing  offense.

if you look back at those Zay highlights, it also pops off the screen how bad Allen’s ball placement was. 

I think the guys that adjust best to the passes passes are going to make over those who excel at other things. 

It’s an interesting topic because the WR room could really go any which way AND Josh’s development will heavily influence the depth chart top to bottom imo 

Good points, and yeah Josh needs better ball placement as part of his growth and has been working on his foot work for that.  He knows it and his coaches and Palmer have emphasized that for the offseason.  Beane is also building the OL so Josh also isn’t always running for his life.  

That being said, good WRs make plays despite ball having perfect placement or not, JAG’s don’t.  So whose gonna step up will be fun to watch :)

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

I hear you, and I'm one who always says you're better off giving up on talent too late than too early.  Talent's too hard to come by to give up quick on someone. 

However, I think Zay has some things working against him.  You say you can't let your judgment be clouded by preseason warriors, but consider this:  McBeane saw something in Foster last summer.  He didn't do much, as I recall, all summer, and no one was clamoring for him to be on the 53.  So McBeane stashed him on the practice squad until he matured (and until guys ahead of him struggled), and then they activated him.  If McBeane see a similar future or more for Sills and Williams, they probably can't hide them on the practice squad.   Foster wasn't in high demand after the draft (again, if I recall correctly) and given how bad the Bills receivers were, other teams probably weren't all that willing to take a chance on him and put on their rosters.  After all, if he wasn't in the top six in Buffalo, why would he be in the top six any place else?   Williams and Sills are different.

Moreover, McD has seen two full years of Zay, and he now has a very good understanding of Zay's upside.  As I and others said earlier, Zay doesn't do any one thing special.  He just doesn't stand out.  Sills and Williams both do.  They will be raw, but their potential should be clear, especially Williams, because he has some miles on him now, albeit only in Canada.  

And remember, McBeane aren't building for this season.  They're building for the long term.   So, if Zay turns out to be the number four guy - Foster and Brown wide and Beasley in the slot, Zay's not playing a big role in the offense.  The Bills know his upside, and if after two years he can't hold onto a position as one of the starting three wideouts, and if Sills and Williams show potential and one of them (probably Williams) can do what Zay already does, Zay could be history.   Especially when you know how much Beane likes having those late round picks.  

I think Zay is in a serious fight for a roster spot.  

Good post :) 

23 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

This is so reminiscent of the super Tyrod fans saying EJ would be done week one and then Nate Peterman would not be on the team week one of the 2018 season. 

Well I kind of like Zay so I hope it's not quite like that.

In hindsight, EJ shoulda been done week 1, and Peterman shouldn't have been on the team week 1 of the 2018 season.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

You know what I did not see a lot of?

turning stopping and waiting for the QB to pass the damn ball!!!!

This.  ? 

You know what’s great about highlights?  They don’t show your low lights ;)

We should sign this guy, he’s a FA still and a beast and looks uncover-able and catches everything thrown his way ?

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

In hindsight, EJ shoulda been done week 1, and Peterman shouldn't have been on the team week 1 of the 2018 season.

Both could have happened.   

But if the Bills signed a REAL QB last offseason things could have been different.  

Everyone has an opinion. Making a solid claim is why it gets discussed so fervently.  

5 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Nah, trading AJM and keeping Peterman was the right move.  Peterman has no value in trade and AJM did.  That 5th was used to go up and get Cody Ford, so we got value.  The mistake was not signing DA right away after trading AJM.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

You know what’s great about highlights?  They don’t show your low lights ;)

We should sign this guy, he’s a FA still and a beast and looks uncover-able and catches everything thrown his way ?

True.  But I seem to recall someone posting a Zay Jones dropped passes video.  

So I guess it evens out. 

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Nah, trading AJM and keeping Peterman was the right move.  Peterman has no value in trade and AJM did.  That 5th was used to go up and get Cody Ford, so we got value.  The mistake was not signing DA right away after trading AJM.  

So Peterman had value for the team 

?

2 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

So I guess it evens out. 

So Peterman had value for the team 

?

You have to be pretty bad at your job to have a low light video made about you and make enough mistakes to even warrant its existence ;) 

Good players don’t have them ;) 

And yes, that’s one way NP had value, keeping his sorry carcass indirectly allowed us to get Cody Ford lol

5 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Sure separates and adjusts to off target throws for a guy who won’t make the team. 

He certainly gets himself a bit open, which is an abilty no one really questioned too much. You know what else I see here? A few double clutches, catching the ball with his body, zero contested catches, and absolutely zero RAC ability. And all of his highlights came in like three games. To me this highlight really confirms what a lot of people think about Zay, that he is very ordinary. 

Now watch David Sills do everything Zay does, and more. Granted its college versus pros which is the biggest difference and obviously a huge factor. But Sills gets open, intermediate and deep, wins jump balls, makes contested catches and shows off RAC ability. 

Now watch Duke Williams do a whole bunch of stuff that Zay doesn't do. Again this is the CFL, not the NFL.  And I get that, but he offers abilities that Zay has not shown. 

Just to be fair, I'm not a Zay hater. But I want to know, where the hell did this guy go:

I get that it's the NFL now, but Zay looks nothing like the guy we thought we were getting. That ability is in there somewhere. He's done it. I want to see him let it out a little bit and be confident catching the ball and prove me wrong. 

(BTW, ironically, a lot of his college highlights are in garbage time of games too. Go figure. I still think there is some immense talent he showed in college that he hasn't shown at all in the pros)

Edited by MrEpsYtown

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

McBeane saw something in Foster last summer.  He didn't do much, as I recall, all summer, and no one was clamoring for him to be on the 53.  So McBeane stashed him on the practice squad until he matured (and until guys ahead of him struggled), and then they activated him. 

My memory of the Foster timeline is a bit different.  In fact, if you look up his game logs on pro-football-reference, you'll see that while opinion on him was certainly mixed in preseason (1 catch for a TD), he actually started the season on the 53-man roster.  He was active for the first 6 games, in fact.

During that time, he rather crapped the bed.  He did all the things that were knocks on him previously.  He ran sloppy routes.  He quit on routes.  He failed to catch a long ball that passed right through his hands.  So after game 6, they waived his a** and signed him to the Practice Squad. 

About a month later, having apparently processed his wake-up call, he was reactivated and finished the season well.

If McBeane see a similar future or more for Sills and Williams, they probably can't hide them on the practice squad.   Foster wasn't in high demand after the draft (again, if I recall correctly) and given how bad the Bills receivers were, other teams probably weren't all that willing to take a chance on him and put on their rosters.  After all, if he wasn't in the top six in Buffalo, why would he be in the top six any place else?   Williams and Sills are different.

We in B'lo always think our cutout bin guys will be in high demand.  But if Williams is in a position that fits your Foster narrative - didn't do much all summer, no one clamoring for him to be on the 53 - I see no reason to think other teams are going to be knocking each other down to grab him.  He's a guy who went undrafted because he f'ed up multiple times with a college program then by his own account lost his heart and head for the game and muffed a shot with the Rams.  Again by his own account, his head still wasn't in it when he got a shot in the CFL.  He's seen some success in the CFL, but the game is very different there.  WR get a running start, for one thing.

Both Williams and Sills are big guys who have question marks about their athleticism and their ability to get off the line and get open against NFL-grade players.  If they don't show anything in preseason and training camp, I see no reason to believe teams will be beating down their agents doors.

Moreover, McD has seen two full years of Zay, and he now has a very good understanding of Zay's upside.  As I and others said earlier, Zay doesn't do any one thing special.  He just doesn't stand out.  Sills and Williams both do.  They will be raw, but their potential should be clear, especially Williams, because he has some miles on him now, albeit only in Canada. 

Shaw, I love you Man, but you're making me laugh here.  Williams in the past has stood out for wrong reasons.  We hope that's in the past, but it remains to be seen how his head and his heart hold out through the rigors and stress of an NFL season.

Sills just stood out so much, he went undrafted by 32 teams.  I want him to succeed, he seems like a great, smart, high-character guy, but read his draft profile then read Zays.

Yes, their potential is clear, but until they show something on an NFL field on Sunday when it counts, it's just that - potential.

28 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

You have to be pretty bad at your job to have a low light video made about you and make enough mistakes to even warrant its existence ;) 

Good players don’t have them ;) 

And yes, that’s one way NP had value, keeping his sorry carcass indirectly allowed us to get Cody Ford lol

Lol.   That’s not true. 

There is film on everyone.   

It comes down to who wants to take the time to “produce” one.  

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000404491/Sammy-Watkins-lowlights

Sammy must suck

One mans highlights is another mans lowlights 

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

33 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Couldn't find it.  Please post link.  Though if of his rookie season, it has limited relevance.  He was playing injured, and he did much better last year (not good enough, but better)

12 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Couldn't find it.  Please post link.  Though if of his rookie season, it has limited relevance.  He was playing injured, and he did much better last year (not good enough, but better)

Same here. I’ll keel looking. I know I saw one here 

google just gives me Naked Zay videos and the dropped Carolina pass