Calling it now: Zay Jones will not be on the week 1 roster.

Alphadawg7

It’s been nearly two months since this thread was posted and i’m still just as puzzled today as when I first read it. 

You’re talking about an improving receiver, drafted by this regime, going into his third year with less than a $2M cap hit and people are suggesting that he’ll be cut. 

He led the team in receptions (56), receiving yards (652), and receiving touchdowns (7), in a number one role — that’s almost universally accepted not too be his role — and often getting the opponents best coverage. 

I can see the frustrations with Zay and I can see why the patience might be running low for some fans, but to suggest that he’ll be cut, and be willing to bet on it, is just an outlandish and ill-researched take. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 4/2/2019 at 11:07 AM, TaskersGhost said:

You sure about that, taking 3 years to "hit their stride?"  

Does that apply, in your opinion, to WRs drafted in rounds 1 & 2, or what?  Because obviously there's a difference between a 7th-round WR and a 1st or 2nd round one, particularly early in round 2 and one that's taken before another like Smith-Shuster.   

How do you explain Moore, Ridley, & Sutton, the first and last of those didn't have great QB situations either?   Or Callaway, taken in the 4th round, all from last year's draft?  

How about Smith-Shuster, Kupp, Godwin, or Golladay from 2017?  Anomalies, all of them?  

Well over half of them were drafted after Jones' 37th overall.  Just sayin'.  

It's easy to say something or repeat a narrative, it's more difficult to question it and challenge whether or not it's true or not.  

In today's NFL, while yes, players often but not always improve, it's not difficult to post great WR numbers as a rookie with a good QB.  According to everyone here Allen was quite good with little, if any, cause for concern over his future.  So obviously it can't be Allen.  

Also, how does Jones' catch%, which you realize is bottom-dwelling, right, factor in, particularly since it was horrific, as in DFL in the NFL horrific, with Allen throwing the ball?  43%.  Is there a reason to suspect that that catch% will increase this season under similar circumstances?  If so, why, specifically?  

He may lead the team, who knows, but with Beasley, a much more polished receiver, along with Brown and Foster, I'm thinking it's not likely.  

Looking forward to your analysis per above.  

Then why are you responding? 

I mean does what you just wrote have any relevance?  :shrug:  

Teddy and I rarely agree........but......you lampy

• Haha (+1) 1

11 hours ago, elijah said:

It’s been nearly two months since this thread was posted and i’m still just as puzzled today as when I first read it. 

You’re talking about an improving receiver, drafted by this regime, going into his third year with less than a $2M cap hit and people are suggesting that he’ll be cut. 

He led the team in receptions (56), receiving yards (652), and receiving touchdowns (7), in a number one role — that’s almost universally accepted not too be his role — and often getting the opponents best coverage. 

I can see the frustrations with Zay and I can see why the patience might be running low for some fans, but to suggest that he’ll be cut, and be willing to bet on it, is just an outlandish and ill-researched take. 

Improving?  Where do you get that from?  Weeks 14, 15, and 16 were 3 of his worst games of his career (3 of his last 4 games).  His catch rate was bad, he had only 2 decent games with Allen, both against the woeful Dolphins, and was pretty terrible in the other games.  Foster out played him as UDFA who got cut in season.  

So you say you are puzzled, but it seems you only checked some season ending stats and made some assumption he improved.  His catch rate as a rookie was not good enough to even be on an NFL roster...yes it got better in 2018, but that didn't make it good.  It went from atrocious to not very good.  

He did almost nothing all year except the 2 Dolphin games, in fact, he's done very little in 2 years other than the 2 Dolphin games with a little garbage time stat pad in first Jets game and end of bad loss to Pats.  Hes a ghost when it matters in just about every single game of his 2 year career, and dropped passes that have flat out lost us games.  

10 times in 2018 he had under 40 yards and should have been 11 if not the free gimme TD with 1 min left down 3 scores in NE where no one bothered to cover him.  He has 22 out of his 30 games with under 40 yards in his career.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

• 3 weeks later...

ITS DRAFT NIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!

So...with the draft here, who is going to be the next WR addition to the Bills roster that bumps Zay off into a trade?  :nana:

DK Metcalf?

N'Keal Harry?

Hakeem Butler?

Marquise Brown?

David Sills V?

Perris Campbell?

AJ Brown?

My mom?

Someone else?

Or...

Falcons Trade down where we swap picks and pick up a WR?

Or...

A hotel window on the top floor?

So many options :nana:

5 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

Even though the OP was wrong this thread was fun.

Based off the Draft results the Bills are much, much higher on our current WR corps than most.

Or they are much higher on Duke than people believe.  

REMEMBER:  I said I thought Zay would be traded in preseason, not the draft.  

Brown, Foster, and Cole are likely to be ahead of Zay on depth chart come week 1.  If Duke passes him too, he’s gonna be 5th WR which again is why I think Zay gets traded in that scenario.  

I’m fine being wrong in the end, all I want is good WRs and if he proves his worth that’s great!  But I said from the get go it was my feeling his job isn’t safe.  I still feel his job isn’t safe.  Camp and Preseason will determine his fate IMO.  

7 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

Even though the OP was wrong this thread was fun.

Based off the Draft results the Bills are much, much higher on our current WR corps than most.

I find that an issue...they were high on Nathan Peterman & Kelvin Benjamin too bud

Edited by Scorp83
  • Like (+1) 1