Calling it now: Zay Jones will not be on the week 1 roster.

Alphadawg7

1 hour ago, BadtasteinQBs said:

Zay Jones had 7 TDs last year, and doubled his production. He will still be on his rookie contract. Injuries happen. They will hold onto Foster, Jones, Beasley, Brown, and McKenzie. If Duke shows well, maybe he makes the roster. 

With the acquisition of Beasley, I think McKenzie will be cut and Zay remains but only as depth. I think Duke will sneak in as the last wr.

18 hours ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

John Brown: 3 year, 27 million dollar deal

Cole Beasley, 4 year, 29 million dollar deal

If it's between Zay, Foster and Duke, then you may very well have made your own self look ridiculous.

GOOD LUCK, CHUCK!!!

It would be strange to interpret the signing of Beasley and Brown as a shot across the bow against Zay Jones and Foster. 

The hate for a 2nd round pick here since year 1 is comical around these parts. 

Year one with Tyrod and Peterman at QB in his rookie year is a joke.

Year two, some progression amazingly with Peterman, Anderson, Barkley, Rookie Allen,  and one of the worst O-lines I think I have ever seen and the guy pops up #2 WR numbers (650yds+ and 7td's). 

Yeah, def needs to be traded.  When he is traded and starts producing like Woods for team X with and established QB, what's said of Beane and McD from the same Zay haters?

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Real McCoy said:

Year two, some progression amazingly with Peterman, Anderson, Barkley, Rookie Allen,  and one of the worst O-lines I think I have ever seen and the guy pops up #2 WR numbers (650yds+ and 7td's). 

Yeah, def needs to be traded.  When he is traded and starts producing like Woods for team X with and established QB, what's said of Beane and McD from the same Zay haters?

This fan base is obsessed with cutting guys.  

• Like (+1) 4

4 hours ago, Real McCoy said:

Why jump to the extreme and declare that people "hate" Zay.  It's an issue of him not getting involved, although some of that is on the QB situation, Foster out-played him down the stretch as a former UDFA. 

8 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Doubt it.

Beane really likes Zay.  There was some interview this offseason where he went out of his way to praise Zay and even mentioning the need to come up with a contract for him in a couple years.

Beane didn't pick Zay, and as I've heard all along, has nothing to do with the acquisitions prior to becoming GM in early May 2017. 

And, sometimes praise is the kiss of death.  Ever see the Godfather? ;)

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, kota said:

LOL at anyone who thinks Zay will be gone.  He improved dramatically this year especially after the QB carousal stopped and it was just Josh.

I also thought he improved last year......it was improvement from dismal to average.......can he make another similar jump this year?

You REALLY do not want to throw away 2nd round pick players

2 hours ago, BillsVet said:

Why jump to the extreme and declare that people "hate" Zay.  It's an issue of him not getting involved, although some of that is on the QB situation, Foster out-played him down the stretch as a former UDFA. 

It's rather obvious if you were here reading posts last season about Zay Jones and the ones here the last several days. 

The comparisons of Foster to Zay doesn't hold any weight at all as they are completely different WR's. I like Foster a lot with his straight burner speed that we need, but that is one dimensional. Foster actually complemented Zay Jones a ton as well when on the field but most missed that I guess? When Foster rejoined the last 7 weeks of play Zay played 6 games and had 6 TDs. 

There were other changes as well with idiot KB when our OC play calling basically started to ignore him in November and Allen returning from injury looking much improved the last 5 weeks.

Let Zay and Allen develop another year together and see how it goes.

Edited by Real McCoy

On 2/27/2019 at 3:46 PM, Alphadawg7 said:

I could be wrong, but this is just what I believe based on the additions I expect Beane to make in the WR room.  I have no issues if others don't agree, just my opinion on the matter, nothing more.  

I have consistently said this all off season, and McDermott just said something again that enforces that belief. 

When this happens you will then be known as Alphadamus. :lol:

• Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

With the acquisition of Beasley, I think McKenzie will be cut and Zay remains but only as depth. I think Duke will sneak in as the last wr.

I think Zay will have to learn special teams if he wants to hang around as depth...

48 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

It's rather obvious if you were here reading posts last season about Zay Jones and the ones here the last several days. 

The comparisons of Foster to Zay doesn't hold any weight at all as they are completely different WR's. I like Foster a lot with his straight burner speed that we need, but that is one dimensional. Foster actually complemented Zay Jones a ton as well when on the field but most missed that I guess? When Foster rejoined the last 7 weeks of play Zay played 6 games and had 6 TDs. 

There were other changes as well with idiot KB when our OC play calling basically started to ignore him in November and Allen returning from injury looking much improved the last 5 weeks.

Let Zay and Allen develop another year together and see how it goes.

Lets not over exaggerate the 6 TDs.  4 came against the pathetic Dolphins including the final week where they didn't even show up.  And those 4 represent 45% of his career TD's over 30 games.  

Look, I get why some people disagree, thats fine, its all good.  But one thing that keeps getting repeated is his "stats".  Literally fools gold in stat totals.  It provides no context to his actual week to week performance.  I mean he still had 10 games under 40 yards this year receiving and 22 out of his 30 were under 40 yards.  

Most importantly, this isn't even about his "stats".  Lets look at the WR room right now:

• Foster:  What does Zay do better than Foster?  Nothing yet.  Both about the same on route running.  Foster is Faster.  Foster has better hands.  And Foster gets more separation.  
  • Brown:  What does Zay do better than Brown?  Nothing yet.  About the same (at least last year) with their hands.  Brown is faster.  Brown gets better separation.  Brown is a better route runner.  Brown makes tougher catches.  Brown has a better resume.
  • Beasley:  What does Zay do better than Beasley?  Nothing yet.  Speed is comparable, but Beasley is quicker.  Beasley has superior hands, superior route runner, and superior at getting separation.  
  • Duke:  Why does Zay do better than Duke?  TBD - we dont know enough yet on Duke.  But what we do know, is Duke appears to have a better catch radius, make more contested catches, and shown better hands (albeit against lesser competition).  What we dont know yet is if Duke can do some of those same things at the NFL level or how he will do at getting separation and running routes.  So hard to say here, but its worth noting Duke should not be over looked.
  • ROOKIE:  What will Zay do better than the rookie?  TBD as we dont know the rookie yet nor how they will be on the field once camp begins.  But assure you that the WR we draft likely projects better than Zay in terms of speed, hands, and route running.  

So all this "but his 7 TD's" is smoke and mirrors of looking at stat totals and ignoring the context of the situation and the competition staring Zay right in the face right now.  And its likely going to get MORE competitive with a rookie addition and we still have McKenzie who is a good ST player too, something Zay is not, at least not yet.  

None of this is about "hate" for Zay, its about being honest with what he has shown on the filed and who he is facing for competition to remain a relevant part of the offense.  I will be thrilled if he beats my skepticism and beats those guys out for WR1 or WR2 starting spot (no way he beats Beasley out for the slot), thats good for the Bills.  

He is not a bum, he has the ability to play in the NFL.  But I am skeptical he can beat those guys out for a starting role.  And if he isn't starting, I see Beane trying to move him to get value before all trade value is gone.   

3 hours ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

This fan base is obsessed with cutting guys.  

Again...read the OP and my replies.  Said MANY times that I never said CUT, I said I think he will fall down the depth chart and Beane will trade him for value before being buried on the depth chart for a season diminishes his trade value further.  

Edited by Alphadawg7

I don't hate Zay, I just think, when you are a reciever, you should be able to catch the ball. That's all. He's nothing special. He does nothing special. Doesn't beat guys, isn't super fast, has zero RAC ability, and drops a ton of balls. He is more of a liability than anything. I don't care who the quarterback is, you gotta catch the ball. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Real McCoy said:

You mean like how everyone said this about Stevie Johnson who went on to see his career end quickly outside Buffalo?  I heard all this about SJ, and like Zay I was initially a fan of SJ.  But his play was always "opportunistic" where he did very little when it mattered and would get large chunks of stat totals in non relevant periods where game was already decided (usually bad losses).  

Zay has not done a whole lot in important parts of games, in fact, has most often failed to make a play when it really mattered.  He has mostly been able to capitalize on broken plays where Josh scrambles or against bad teams.  I will be impressed when Zay is open on his initial route, not when a DB loses him while Allen is scrambling because Allen had to scramble since no WR's were open on their initial routes.  I will be impressed when Zay can handle a good DB and not get completely dominated by them like against Det and Pats this year.  

Edited by Alphadawg7

40 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Lets not over exaggerate the 6 TDs.  4 came against the pathetic Dolphins including the final week where they didn't even show up.  And those 4 represent 45% of his career TD's over 30 games.  

Look, I get why some people disagree, thats fine, its all good.  But one thing that keeps getting repeated is his "stats".  Literally fools gold in stat totals.  It provides no context to his actual week to week performance.  I mean he still had 10 games under 40 yards this year receiving and 22 out of his 30 were under 40 yards.  

Most importantly, this isn't even about his "stats".  Lets look at the WR room right now:

• Foster:  What does Zay do better than Foster?  Nothing yet.  Both about the same on route running.  Foster is Faster.  Foster has better hands.  And Foster gets more separation.  
  • Brown:  What does Zay do better than Brown?  Nothing yet.  About the same (at least last year) with their hands.  Brown is faster.  Brown gets better separation.  Brown is a better route runner.  Brown makes tougher catches.  Brown has a better resume.
  • Beasley:  What does Zay do better than Beasley?  Nothing yet.  Speed is comparable, but Beasley is quicker.  Beasley has superior hands, superior route runner, and superior at getting separation.  
  • Duke:  Why does Zay do better than Duke?  TBD - we dont know enough yet on Duke.  But what we do know, is Duke appears to have a better catch radius, make more contested catches, and shown better hands (albeit against lesser competition).  What we dont know yet is if Duke can do some of those same things at the NFL level or how he will do at getting separation and running routes.  So hard to say here, but its worth noting Duke should not be over looked.
  • ROOKIE:  What will Zay do better than the rookie?  TBD as we dont know the rookie yet nor how they will be on the field once camp begins.  But assure you that the WR we draft likely projects better than Zay in terms of speed, hands, and route running.  

So all this "but his 7 TD's" is smoke and mirrors of looking at stat totals and ignoring the context of the situation and the competition staring Zay right in the face right now.  And its likely going to get MORE competitive with a rookie addition and we still have McKenzie who is a good ST player too, something Zay is not, at least not yet.  

None of this is about "hate" for Zay, its about being honest with what he has shown on the filed and who he is facing for competition to remain a relevant part of the offense.  I will be thrilled if he beats my skepticism and beats those guys out for WR1 or WR2 starting spot (no way he beats Beasley out for the slot), thats good for the Bills.  

He is not a bum, he has the ability to play in the NFL.  But I am skeptical he can beat those guys out for a starting role.  And if he isn't starting, I see Beane trying to move him to get value before all trade value is gone.   

Again...read the OP and my replies.  Said MANY times that I never said CUT, I said I think he will fall down the depth chart and Beane will trade him for value before being buried on the depth chart for a season diminishes his trade value further.  

I get it, and I give you credit for that. But the vague “trade so and so” talk is coded language for get them offf the team. His value is like a 6th. A guy who probably won’t make the team. It’s tantamount to cutting him.

28 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

You mean like how everyone said this about Stevie Johnson who went on to see his career end quickly outside Buffalo?  I heard all this about SJ, and like Zay I was initially a fan of SJ.  But his play was always "opportunistic" where he did very little when it mattered and would get large chunks of stat totals in non relevant periods where game was already decided (usually bad losses).  

Zay has not done a whole lot in important parts of games, in fact, has most often failed to make a play when it really mattered.  He has mostly been able to capitalize on broken plays where Josh scrambles or against bad teams.  I will be impressed when Zay is open on his initial route, not when a DB loses him while Allen is scrambling because Allen had to scramble since no WR's were open on their initial routes.  I will be impressed when Zay can handle a good DB and not get completely dominated by them like against Det and Pats this year.  

No I mean Woods like I said whom I never gave up on as well when he was a Bill like many other forum fans did. The reason for that was simple as I knew some lumps as poor QB play was the only thing holding the guy back.  You honestly don't think poor OC play calling and QB play year 1 did not affect him? Or last seasons 4 QB carousel and horrible O-line pass protection did not either? 

Things take time to develop and I'm willing to see it pan out between him and Allen another year before I make my final assessment.  I'm pretty sure Beane and McD see it the exact same way as well. 

So I'm calling it now: Zay Jones will 100% be on the roster and in the starting WR rotation week 1 if not injured.

• Like (+1) 1