Calling it now: Zay Jones will not be on the week 1 roster.

Alphadawg7

Not a Zay fan (wanted JuJu).  But there is no point in cutting him now. He has basically no trade value so you let him compete for a job.  Maybe the light comes on in year 3.  But it’s better to have too many receivers than not enough.

and if they get rid of him after year 2 after trading up for him, that’s a horrific move. For their own egos, they will keep him.

34 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

And I still say Jones catches a TD pass week one.  Now, it is possible he gets traded for something.  But released outright, no way. 

Not sure why people keep bringing up "released" or "cut".  Said in my Original Post I thought he would be TRADED and said it many times over in this thread.  Never said Zay had no value and would be just outright cut.  If Beane can't find a trade partner, I think they would keep him as a 4th or 5th WR still over cutting him.  

Edited by Alphadawg7

20 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Not sure why people keep bringing up "released" or "cut".  Said in my Original Post I thought he would be TRADED and said it many times over in this thread.  Never said Zay had no value and would be just outright cut.  If Beane can't find a trade partner, I think they would keep him as a 4th or 5th WR still over cutting him.  

Yep, missed that.  My bad.

1 hour ago, FeelingOnYouboty said:

Zay Jones is starting

Of course, as always:

Team Jesus Lifetime Member John 3:16 T-Shirt

11 minutes ago, FeelingOnYouboty said:

He was our best WR last year. He's going into his 3rd year. There's no reason to cut him. I think he takes a leap next year.

Only if that window breaks this time...

35 minutes ago, FeelingOnYouboty said:

Foster came on late but he was not. Jones was reliable all year while Foster got cut during the season. I'm happy we have both and they'll be a big part of our growth going forward.

Reliable all year?  He had 56 catches as a full time starter.  He had a bad catch rate, he bobbled many of the catches he did make, he failed to consistently get open, and made most of his production on broken plays where Allen had to scramble.  And thats because he wasn't getting open on his actual route often enough.  He was also man handled by physical corners, and is terrible against press coverage.  

Zay is literally the definition of unreliable last year. 

Food for thought:  

Foster, three 100 yard games in his 7 games.  Zay, zero 100 yard games in his 30 game career.  In fact, Zay has had less than 40 yards in 22 of his 30 games, including 10 in 2018 alone.  

You have an interesting definition of "reliable".

Edited by Alphadawg7

Posted this in the other thread...

Does everyone realize that the "Year 3 breakout" for WR's has been debunked many times?  There is no year 3 breakout, in fact WR's are slightly more likely to break out in Year 1 or Year 2 rather than Year 3.  And if you combine Years 1 and 2 together versus year 3, they are 65% more likely to break out sometime during the first 2 yeas than they are in year 3.

This is some fan and media myth that still lives on for some reason.  So everyone banking on Zay breaking out just because its his "3rd year" are not realizing there is no statistics that make his breakout in year 3 anymore likely than years 1 or 2.  In fact, its slightly less likely than it would have been in year 2.  

Doesnt mean he cant, just saying the likelihood of it is not enhanced just because of the Year 3 myth about WRs

15 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Posted this in the other thread...

Does everyone realize that the "Year 3 breakout" for WR's has been debunked many times?  There is no year 3 breakout, in fact WR's are slightly more likely to break out in Year 1 or Year 2 rather than Year 3.  And if you combine Years 1 and 2 together versus year 3, they are 65% more likely to break out sometime during the first 2 yeas than they are in year 3.

This is some fan and media myth that still lives on for some reason.  So everyone banking on Zay breaking out just because its his "3rd year" are not realizing there is no statistics that make his breakout in year 3 anymore likely than years 1 or 2.  In fact, its slightly less likely than it would have been in year 2.  

Doesnt mean he cant, just saying the likelihood of it is not enhanced just because of the Year 3 myth about WRs

Agreed if with 1 QB. I think Zay has played under 4 QB's now in 2 years now? Give him one more year with Allen and see how it goes.

21 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

Agreed if with 1 QB. I think Zay has played under 4 QB's now in 2 years now? Give him one more year with Allen and see how it goes.

I wasn't saying Zay cant, I was stating that the "Year 3" factor has been mentioned many times in several threads and that the "Year 3" theory on WR's has been debunked many times.  

So the point was, any WR going into their 3rd year does NOT have a higher chance of breaking out just because its their 3rd year.  That "3 year" WR theory has been debunked many times.  

2 minutes ago, Jay_Fixit said:

You two will both be incorrect.

Hey, we very well may be incorrect.  This was never some arrogant guarantee, just my gut feeling based on what McD and Beane have consistently said and based on how many new WR's I expected them to bring in.  So far, they have brought in 3 and are very likely to bring in at least one prominent rookie.  

And now, looking at the WR room, I would put Zay already 4th on the depth chart today behind Foster, Brown, and Cole.  Not to mention Duke can still challenge to start or at least for relevant playing time too.  Then you still have McKenzie.  

Now add a rookie into the mix, and where does Zay fit so "easily"?  Cole Beasley just took his slot job.  That means Zay now has to complete to start as WR1 or WR2 or he will be a bench and rotational guy.  Brown wasn't signed to sit behind everyone, so he is at least penciled into one of those 2 spots.  Foster already passed Zay in most peoples eyes, and then you will have Duke and a rookie pushing those guys too.  

Zay may end up on this roster, but its FAR from a lock.  Slot is gone, Cole is the 100% for sure slot WR this year.  He we have 4 WRs who will challenge for the top 2 WR spots already...Foster, Brown, Zay, Duke plus a 5th one likely to get into the mix from the draft.  Not sure why anyone has great optimism that Zay will beat 3 or 4 other WR's to secure a starting spot. 

He will likely be given the chance to, but he hasn't done well in pressure situations prior to this.  And if he doesn't beat out those guys for a starting spot, I think he will be traded for something like a 5th round pick to get some value before spending a season on the bench diminishes all trade value.  

2 hours ago, FeelingOnYouboty said:

Foster came on late but he was not. Jones was reliable all year while Foster got cut during the season. I'm happy we have both and they'll be a big part of our growth going forward.

LOL.If that's your definition of reliable then I would definitely have to disagree.

• Awesome! (+1) 1