Calling it now: Zay Jones will not be on the week 1 roster.

Alphadawg7

2 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

You mean like that time he cost us the Panthers game and the entire team tried to console him? There was plenty of reaction going on. Some on the sideline, and some in the locker room.

That was a dropped ball not a wrong route. He was wide open because he ran a good route. The team was behind him 100% after. Still not getting your point of him not running the right routes..

1 minute ago, badassgixxer05 said:

That was a dropped ball not a wrong route. He was wide open because he ran a good route. The team was behind him 100% after. Still not getting your point of him not running the right routes..

He was supposed to cut towards the back corner of the end zone and broke it flat instead (towards the front corner) which caused him to be out of position on what would have been a routine catch otherwise. It is one example of many throughout that season.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, BuffaloHokie13 said:

He was supposed to cut towards the back corner of the end zone and broke it flat instead (towards the front corner) which caused him to be out of position on what would have been a routine catch otherwise. It is one example of many throughout that season.

But the ball wasnt thrown to the back corner of the end zone... ?

19 minutes ago, badassgixxer05 said:

No, it was a BAD, in fact VERY BAD route.  Your memory fails you on this one.

Zay stumbles his feet untouched on his cut and causes him to angle sharper to the sideline and turn to look for ball late.  Had he NOT done that, he walks in untouched for game winner.  But because of that, he made an easy routine catch on a wide open play into a stretched out attempt to save the play in which he failed to also make.  

This play was then and still is 100% on Zay.  TT critics wanted to ignore the indisputable video evidence and put it on him, but everything is right there on tape.  

I also think that one play was one that haunted him and led to his confidence issues and mental off field issue in the offseason.  He doesn't seem like a guy who can shake off a mistake.  And thats not a good quality to have if you are a WR given no WR ever catches 100% of the catchable balls thrown their way.  

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

No, it was a BAD, in fact VERY BAD route.  Your memory fails you on this one.

Zay stumbles his feet untouched on his cut and causes him to angle sharper to the sideline and turn to look for ball late.  Had he NOT done that, he walks in untouched for game winner.  But because of that, he made an easy routine catch on a wide open play into a stretched out attempt to save the play in which he failed to also make.  

This play was then and still is 100% on Zay.  TT critics wanted to ignore the indisputable video evidence and put it on him, but everything is right there on tape.  

I also think that one play was one that haunted him and led to his confidence issues and mental off field issue in the offseason.  He doesn't seem like a guy who can shake off a mistake.  And thats not a good quality to have if you are a WR given no WR ever catches 100% of the catchable balls thrown their way.  

Maybe. My memory is pretty bad, because I remember this as last year, but it was indeed 2017. 2017 was a bad year for Zay I will agree. Which is why I think he grew a lot last year. Him even having an average year last year was growth(although i still think he was better then average). Here is to hoping Zay 3.0 shows up to camp and ready to roll. That would be best for everyone ?

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/2/2019 at 8:58 PM, Augie said:

Why was he so incredibly productive as a senior, but such a mess as a rookie? I don’t that at all. 

My observation was that when he was promoted from assistant WR coach in mid-season for Phish it seemed detriment to WRs there. 

I commented that when he was hired he did not appear to be able to develop NFL level WRs, you got what skills they had when you hired him and basically he was there to make sure they did drills. 

Contrast that with Sanjay Lal where there are comments that from WRs from multiple teams, young and veterans, that he was always teaching them new techniques.  Sanjay however appears to be a butterfly and likes to switch teams whether to make new connections or just wants to live in different places I do not know and not heard any interviewer ask him this question but he has never been fired from a team.

I almost forgot that Jones was the wr targeted by Taylor at the end of the Carolina game. He does stumble at the top of his route and fails to make a catch that is made by wrs on a regular basis (not a routine catch but would not have been a wow catch either). He drops the 3rd and 10 pass along the sideline against Miami right before the final play (this was an even more egregious drop). So I'll add not being clutch to the list of complaints I have with Jones' play. Bills are clearly looking to upgrade the wr position and if Jones cannot excel on special teams he will most likely be the odd man out.

Zay improved quite a bit last season and will likely continue to. He'll be either the 2nd, 3rd or 4th WR and safely on the team. Progression is huge for NFL staffs to see in their draft picks. When they see it, especially in a player they drafted that high, they hold on to them. They certainly saw it from Zay last season. Barring a trade or injury Zay is a 100% lock to make the 2019 Roster.

2 minutes ago, eball said:

Good call Alpha. I was wrong. Highly unlikely Zay is around on W1. 

I also thought no way to lose Zay but not looking good.  Will wait until he is gone for the official mea culpa.

Edited by Just Joshin'

On 3/4/2019 at 12:01 PM, GunnerBill said:

To me Zay is not a fit in the slot in the offense Daboll wants to run. He wants shifty, quick change of direction types in there. Zay was rafted for a different offense by different coaches. Dennison and Kubiak have utilised "big slot" types to good effect in their offenses. Daboll less so.

EDIT: Not saying Zay won't make the team..... I don't think he is a lock though..... and if he makes it I suspect it is outside not in the slot on this offense.

This.  Daboll wants quickness and speed in the slot.  We saw that last year after the bye.  I think Zay is in trouble, but I don’t see why they wouldn’t bring him to camp.  

Based on the collection of WRs, I wonder if DiMarco/TE3 might be in trouble.  I realize that the plan is to be flexible on the offensive side of the ball, but stacking speed in the slot works well for Allen.  Might not need to go four deep with that type of player. 

I am not auto going to say Zay is not on this team with our new signings.....

I WILL say the honeymoon is over for Zay Jones.....and balls that hit him right in the hands and dropped will no longer be tolerated.......

What has really happened here is that while there is no identified number one.....the quality of the WR's from 1 through 5 have GREATLY improved.......

John Brown and Robert Foster on the outside.....insane speed

Slot guys Beasely/Zay/McKenzie

This does not factor in Duke (because we dont know what we have there) from the CFL.....and it does not factor if one of those 10 picks is used on another WR from the draft

What the stable does have are proven veteran guys......and a player in Robert Foster with IMMENSE upside

1 minute ago, Real McCoy said:

It's way, way to early to give on on Zay Jones. He's producing on a WR#2 level in his first couple seasons and building with Josh as we all witnessed as the season went on. 

Trading Zay would honestly be stupid.

Zay was dreadful as a rookie and just below average last year. Only reason why he has been on the field so much is that the wr position was gutted before he arrived and he was a high draft pick of this regime. Man would have been cut as a rookie if he was a lower pick or drafted by previous regime. Unless he suddenly starts running faster, becomes quicker and develops stronger hands then he will not play over Foster, Brown and Beasley. At best it puts him at 4 but Williams offers the size and physicality the Bills need at the position and no other wr on the roster offers that. Zay is the #5 and has not been a special team performer. If we can get anything of value back, he needs to be traded now before he is released in September.