Calling it now: Zay Jones will not be on the week 1 roster.

Alphadawg7

I could see him dropping down the depth chart, but probably not off the team. Just not enough talent to replace him. That includes Duke - who I think is far more likely than Zay to get cut. 

Edited by skibum

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Dont forget Duke...he has a real shot to both make this team and play a relevant role.  Talent was never his issue.

I love the signing and really like what I’ve seen on tape from duke.  That being said, in just gong to consider him a bonus if he works out.  I’m not counting on him to do well, but I am really eager to see him play.  Love that physicality 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

I love the signing and really like what I’ve seen on tape from duke.  That being said, in just gong to consider him a bonus if he works out.  I’m not counting on him to do well, but I am really eager to see him play.  Love that physicality 

Expectations should be tempered here. 
 To consider  Bills releasing Jones before we even see Williams in OTAs because some are assuming he will rise up the depth chart as soon as OTAs start : ) is a bit of a stretch for me.

and saying Foster is a better WR is also  a too early to tell call . He certainly brings a needed facet to Allens arm and Dabolls scheme. but they have different skill sets imo.

6 minutes ago, Rico said:

If they determine he isn’t worthy of a spot, then I think Zay will be gone. Unlike past regimes, these guys so far have not been afraid to admit mistakes,  cut their losses, and move on. :thumbsup:

if they can improve on the position? i trust they will. and if Jones gets pushed off the roster because of that? just fine by me. Jones will find work

The trade up for Zay is one if the worst draft day decisions in a long time.  I hated it at the time (loved JuJu who was drafted after the Bills original pick) and it is even worse after you see how good Kupp is.  That said, he has a value as a shaky 2 or solid 3 receiver.  Like the Bengals with Ross, what do you really gain by letting him go now?  He has low trade value.

so unless he fights for Jesus again or some dumb team makes a dumb offer, you are better off keeping him.  

• Like (+1) 1

Haven’t read the entire thread so apologies if this is a repeat. I have stated in multiple WR discussions about the length of time it takes for WR’s to come into their own. This includes hall of famers. 

Zay will have a long leash, as he should. 

Edited by TroutDog
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I disagree mostly because he drafted him and those guys always get more timeI think he will get more chances for that reason. I also think that McD knows that the QB situation hasn’t been ideal for a developing WR. In addition, he’s shown the ability to make plays have big games, he hasn’t been a complete no show. I believe that he will get his full rookie contract to prove himself and the Bills will make a decision on him at that point. 

No issue with your post, but I just don't know I see the inspiration for the  "big games" comment.  In 30 career games:

• He has never had a 100 yard game.  
  • He has also broken 70 yards just twice.  
  • He has had under 40 yards in 22 of his career 30 games (including 10 times in 2018 as a 16 game starter).
  • He's only had more than 6 catches in a game once. 
  • He has only had more than 5 catches in a game 5 times.
  • 9 career TD's isn't terrible, however 4 of them (almost half) came in both games against the lowly Dolphins this year. 

So not really seeing the big game potential from him.  And he hasn't really shown the ability to make plays.  He has lost us games because of his inability to make the play and also bobbled some other important catches that should have been routine.  

He can still keep getting better, and I will root for him too.  My bold prediction is not about not liking him, its rooted in believing that Beane is adding at least 2 more WRs after already adding Duke.  And if Zay isn't finding a way to separate himself and looking at being in a limited role in 2019, I think Beane will trade him before that limited role diminishes his value further.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Rico said:

If they determine he isn’t worthy of a spot, then I think Zay will be gone. Unlike past regimes, these guys so far have not been afraid to admit mistakes,  cut their losses, and move on. :thumbsup:

This is exactly where my gut feeling comes from.  They will make what they feel is the best decision for the team, not make decisions over concern of looking like they made a mistake.  And really, its not a "they" in regards to Zay since Beane wasn't even here yet.  

I hope Zay gets there, nothing personal against him.  My thing is that when you have a young WR you can usually point to things they do really well and things they need to improve on to get to the next level.  I cant point to anything today that I could honestly say Zay does really well.  

I hope he reads this and goes out and proves me wrong, but its been 2 years and I am still searching for something I can say he does really well.  

13 minutes ago, TroutDog said:

Haven’t read the entire thread so apologies if this is a repeat. I have stayed in multiple WR discussions about the length of time it takes for WR’s to come into their own. His includes hall of famers. 

Zay will I’ll have a long leash, as he should. 

No worries, and I understand.  The difference here is, we are going to rebuild our whole WR room.  Normally you got a young guy and some established quality WR's or better on the team allowing you to be more patient.  

Eric Moulds, Year 1 and 2

Year Age Tm Pos No. G GS Tgt Rec Yds Y/R TD Lng R/G Y/G Ctch% Rush Yds TD Lng Y/A Y/G A/G Touch Y/Tch YScm RRTD Fmb AV
1996 23 BUF KR/wr 80 16 5 37 20 279 14.0 2 47 1.3 17.4 54.1% 12 44 0 11 3.7 2.8 0.8 32 10.1 323 2 1 3
1997 24 BUF KR/WR 80 16 8 52 29 294 10.1 0 32 1.8 18.4 55.8%

Zay Jones, Year 1 and 2

Games Receiving Rushing Total Yds      
Year Age Tm Pos No. G GS Tgt Rec Yds Y/R TD Lng R/G Y/G Ctch% Rush Yds TD Lng Y/A Y/G A/G Touch Y/Tch YScm RRTD Fmb AV
2017 22 BUF WR 11 15 10 74 27 316 11.7 2 33 1.8 21.1 36.5%               27 11.7 316 2 0 3
2018 23 BUF WR 11 16 15 102 56 652 11.6 7 57 3.5 40.8

54.9%

Eric Moulds, Year 3.

1998* 25 BUF WR 80 16 15 116 67 1368 20.4 9 84 4.2 85.5 57

Yes, I know, 2 different players.  My point is that you don't cut a guy on year 2 of a rookie contract because there is a learning curve for WRs and year 3 is often when it "clicks" and you get to see the player's true potential.  

I'll give it one more year and hope for the best. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, ChicagoRic said:

1996 23 BUF KR/wr 80 16 5 37 20 279 14.0 2 47 1.3 17.4 54.1% 12 44 0 11 3.7 2.8 0.8 32 10.1 323 2 1 3

Zay Jones, Year 1 and 2

2017 22 BUF WR 11 15 10 74 27 316 11.7 2 33 1.8 21.1 36.5%               27 11.7 316 2 0 3

54.9%

Eric Moulds, Year 3.

Yes, I know, 2 different players.  My point is that you don't cut a guy on year 2 of a rookie contract because there is a learning curve for WRs and year 3 is often when it "clicks" and you get to see the player's true potential.  

I won’t cut him either.  But Moulds was sitting behind HOFers.  The last 2 years have been some of the worst group of receivers in team history.  

• Like (+1) 3

9 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I won’t cut him either.  But Moulds was sitting behind HOFers.  The last 2 years have been some of the worst group of receivers in team history.  

Sitting behind 1 HOFer.  96 and 97 was Andre Reed at the tail end of his career getting the ball from a past-his prime Jim Kelly and then Todd Collins.....

Quinn Early, Steve Tasker (as a WR) Russell Copeland and Chris Brantley are not HOF material. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, ChicagoRic said:

Sitting behind 1 HOFer.  96 and 97 was Andre Reed at the tail end of his career getting the ball from a past-his prime Jim Kelly and then Todd Collins.....

Quinn Early, Steve Tasker (as a WR) Russell Copeland and Chris Brantley are not HOF material. 

Tasker was getting a lot of run in that time frame as well.

I think the league has evolved quite a bit in that receivers are much more pro ready than they were in 1996.

I EXPECT Zay to be on the roster, but I wouldn't be shocked if they moved on.

32 minutes ago, ChicagoRic said:

Zay Jones, Year 1 and 2

54.9%

Eric Moulds, Year 3.

I get your point and understand where you are coming from...BUT:  You don't keep a guy because of a stat sheet comparison or analysis either.  You keep a guy because he is better than the next guy on your roster.  

Is the third year pivotal historically for WR's...yes and no.  They have studied it and its a bit true and a bit over stated too.  However, what common factor though is that after 2 years, usually you can point at a WR and identify something he is actually good at while also identifying where he needs to improve to take the next step.  

Right now, there isnt any particular thing anyone can say that Zay is good at.  He needs to literally improve every aspect of his game, including Hands, Routes, Separation, etc.  Can he do it, we will see...but thats a tall ask when facing a produce now or else moment like he will be when they add even more new faces to the room to go along with the competition he will already face with Foster and Duke.  

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I agree about Moulds, Moulds was our KR/PR/WR and had to fight off  Reed, Early and that TE we had which I cannot remember. Also Allen is light years ahead of Todd Collins and Van Pelt. I'm still pissed that we missed out on Juju and my personalized Bad Juju jersey.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, elltrain22 said:

Zay Jones for John Ross. Straight up?

Honestly, I almost added that to my OP.  Its not crazy either, as Zay could be a better fit for the slot role there with Daltons more average arm and Ross could be of more interest to the Bills for Allens deep ball.  

I don't think its crazy to propose, however, I think the Bengals would be more interested in draft picks than another WR given they have 2 other very good WR's already.