Calling it now: Zay Jones will not be on the week 1 roster.

Alphadawg7

I could be wrong, but this is just what I believe based on the additions I expect Beane to make in the WR room.  I have no issues if others don't agree, just my opinion on the matter, nothing more.  

I have consistently said this all off season, and McDermott just said something again that enforces that belief.  I think they see how the Rams cleared out their WR room and so did the Bears and in both cases their young QB's took big strides as passers.  Eagles did the same for Wentz too.  

"We're looking for guys that can get open and catch the ball."  Yes, that is an obvious trait for any WR, but also its telling that he and Beane keep making these comments given the struggles all year, including Zay, to do these very basic things.  

I think the WR room will be crowded once free agency and the draft is over (likely 2 to 3 additions) and Zay is going to be someone who has to really impress in camp to make this roster.   Right now, there is not one part of being a wide receiver that Zay does particularly well outside of his reported good work ethic.  

1. Hands:  Struggles catching the ball.  Makes easy catches look hard and drops too many passes.
  2. Separation:  Has struggled to get separation, especially playing on the outside.  
  3. Route Running:  Part of his issue with getting separation is his inconsistent route running.
  4. Speed:  He has average speed.  He is fast enough to play in the league, but to be consistent with his speed he needs to be a good route runner.  
  5. Physicality:  He is easily man handled by physical corners.  Games like the Lions and Pats this year he was dominated physically for example.  
  6. Contested Catches:  One of the weakest part of his game.
  7. Catch Radius:  Very limited mostly due to his inconsistent hands and lack of physicality.  

Foster:  Penciled in as a projected #2 WR.  However, if we bring in a potential starter in FA and also draft one early, then Foster is no lock for #2 and could be used more out of the slot or as a deep threat.  Additionally, if we draft say Metcalf or make a splashy trade for someone like Brown (less likely), then Duke could make a real challenge for #2 as a big catch radius compliment to a #1 who poses a real deep threat opposite him. 

Duke:  He has to prove himself in the NFL, I get that.  But if we take an honest assessment of him, his issues were never talent related.  He isn't a speed burner, but he has a big catch radius, runs good routes, and has great hands.  He could legit compete for the #2 opposite a big play #1.  Even if not a #2, its more than reasonable he has a legit shot to make this team and compete for minutes.  

Zay:  Best suited for the slot, however his lack of consistent hands and his issues with separation make his spot there vulnerable.  If our top 2 WR's this next season dont include Foster, then I can easily see Foster challenging to play in the slot, and he already has surpassed Zay.  

We are adding at least 2 additonal WR's (and maybe 3) this offseason expected to start or compete to start to go along with the 3 guys already here.  With McD and Beanes consistent comments about getting open and catching the ball, I think Zay is in trouble and will be a training camp or preseason trade for a 4th round or conditional 5th round pick.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 9
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I thought that might be the case last year.  I think this year Zay’s safer, but not a lock to make the team.  Cutting him would mean Sean admitting to a bad mistake, which he won’t do unless there’s really no other choice.

• Like (+1) 3

I disagree mostly because he drafted him and those guys always get more timeI think he will get more chances for that reason. I also think that McD knows that the QB situation hasn’t been ideal for a developing WR. In addition, he’s shown the ability to make plays have big games, he hasn’t been a complete no show. I believe that he will get his full rookie contract to prove himself and the Bills will make a decision on him at that point. 

• Like (+1) 14
  • Thank you (+1) 3

Its fun to have these sort of thought experiments, but its never going to happen. 

He is on his rookie deal, it costs as little as it can to keep him.  Plus, he is in his third year, will almost certainly continue to improve, and has produced way more than any other street FA would.  There is just no incentive to cut him.  

• Like (+1) 18

1 minute ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Its fun to have these sort of thought experiments, but its never going to happen. 

He is on his rookie deal, it costs as little as it can to keep him.  Plus, he is in his third year, will almost certainly continue to improve, and has produced way more than any other street FA would.  There is just no incentive to cut him.  

TJ Graham tho

• Haha (+1) 1

Listened to McD on WGR interview after his press conference.  He mentioned changes in the coaching staff...that coaches need to be all in, all the time and giving maximum effort.  You got the impression (and Murphy and Tasker mentioned this) that Robiske wasn't doing that as a coach.  Improving the WR corps has to include improving the coaches.

• Like (+1) 3

I'll say Zay makes the team this year..

He is still cheap, and players with only 2 years experience can still improve...

Look no further than this time last year when similar threads were being started about Shaq Lawson

Edited by Aussie Joe
  • Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, BringBackOrton said:

TJ Graham wasn’t handed the opportunity of playing with a bloated corpse at #1 WR.

Which in itself is a huge determining factor. The talent the Bills have as a WR, who they bring in or don't bring in will determine if Zay is the best of the worst once again. (Of course Foster and McKenzie might have already surpassed him in ability)

I would hope the strategy with these comments are to motivate Zay.  I think of Julian Edelman.. not to say that he's the same player/person, but look at how far that guy has come.  Can't dispute the amount of work that he puts in where he was virtually un-coverable in last years playoffs.

I hope we find guys that are lunatics about preparation and training/improvement.