What's going on at PSE?

oldmanfan

Now the narrative is that the Pegulas earned their billions by chance/luck, because they "happened" to own land under which oil existed?

LOL

Yeah, OK. Hey, too bad I didn't luck into billions with all of my millions of acres of oil reserve land that I just happened to wake up one day owning.

Nobody really believes that anyway... it's just a cheap shot from embittered fans that think anything the teams do is automatically wrong. Kraft is a sick, twisted man who made two good decisions as Patriots owner: hiring Belichick and keeping his mouth shut afterward. I guess he's a genius though, because Super Bowls!

This desire to attack the Pegulas is simple I think. Many were against the Sabres tank and felt ridiculed for it. The Sabres got Eichel and Dahlin, and they had to hear all about it. So they dug in and attack the team every chance they get (and the W/L record has made that easy lately). So Eichel isn't any good. Dahlin is overrated. They were fine with a team of JAGs striving for 8th place... WE (pro tankers) WERE ALL WRONG DAMMIT! The tank failed! JUST ADMIT IT NOW! (but hurry before this group of guys who can't even buy a freaking beer in this country mature).

On the Bills side some think Whaley had built a juggernaut of a team and Rex came in and ruined it all (by going .500, better than any coach since Wade). We ruined a potential SB contender by not hiring Jim Schwartz as HC (nobody else has either BTW)! When Whaley was canned they were upset by everyone piling on him for embarrassing the team with his incompetent press conference. He's loved all around the league they said!

Yet oddly nobody wanted to give him the keys to their future... Well, I guess the XFL did!

To make matters worse, McBeane immediately breaking the drought made their position tougher. But then the team picked the "wrong QB" and it was game on last spring/summer!

However, Josh Allen having some nice moments made their stomachs queasy. What if they were wrong? No, no NO!

So now these Whaley fans, the anti-tank crew, and Russ Brandon (who probably still posts here) want vindication. It's just human nature.

Here's the cool part: WHEN the Bills and Sabres win, how much credit will Russ Brandon, Doug Whaley, and whatever the people who hate the Sabres now wanted instead get for it?

Answer: ZERO.

Kind of makes you smile, doesn't it? :) 

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Take it for what its worth, but I got it from a good source. 

The latest departures weren't about performance, they were largely "Russ B, the sequel..."

...Popko was Brandon's assistant......could have known what was going on or involved.......Pegs has quietly squashed any chance of Brandon employment in Bflo....has a big hammer...

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

22 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

Pegs has quietly squashed any chance of Brandon employment in Bflo...

So that wasn’t him as Assistant Mgr., 3-11 pm at Chick-Fill-Uh!  Not the afternoon guy at Lids, Walden Galleria, either!  (Well , Lids does carry New Era...that’s sort of like being an executive for them, isn’t it?)

1 hour ago, TheFunPolice said:

This desire to attack the Pegulas is simple I think. Many were against the Sabres tank and felt ridiculed for it. The Sabres got Eichel and Dahlin, and they had to hear all about it. So they dug in and attack the team every chance they get (and the W/L record has made that easy lately).

Lately??  How about since Pegula bought the team?  It was 2011.  No playoffs since.  Not a winning season since.  

You're right....Pegula is a genius at tanking!  It's perpetual.  Who would dare "attack" that??

1 hour ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...Popko was Brandon's assistant......could have known what was going on or involved.......Pegs has quietly squashed any chance of Brandon employment in Bflo....has a big hammer...

So he never ended up at New Era afterall? I remember that was the big rumor at the time

36 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

So that wasn’t him as Assistant Mgr., 3-11 pm at Chick-Fill-Uh!  Not the afternoon guy at Lids, Walden Galleria, either!  (Well , Lids does carry New Era...that’s sort of like being an executive for them, isn’t it?)

...how about a bearded barista in a coffee kiosk?......Pegs blocked the New Era hire in a nanosecond...probably threatened Koch about naming rights, both current and "right to first refusal"n on a new stadium...

14 minutes ago, BillsPride12 said:

So he never ended up at New Era afterall? I remember that was the big rumor at the time

...nope.. Pegs squashed it in a nanosecond with Chris Koch...AND...Brandon has not talked to Koch since.....New Era has 66% market share of the pro sports hat market...owning both the Bills and Sabres, Pegs could make a pretty big stink about New Era at Owners' meetings I would think...

We dont know what is going on behind the scenes at PSE. Here is what we do know about the Bills and Sabres:

Bills were 9-7 when Pegula bought the team. The team then went 8-8 in 2015, 7-9 in 2016, 9-7 in 2017 and 6-10 in 2018. I would not call that progress. In the same short time period they went from Marrone to Ryan to McD and changed GM's. Too soon to call a disaster but the playoff season skews the reality of the mediocrity at best that has been the Bills under Pegula.

Sabres are a complete disaster. Bought the team in 2011. A team that had been a consistent playoff contender. The team had never gone more than 3 years without making the playoffs. We are now on 8 years and counting. The team had only had one sub 64 point full season since 1971-72 and has now had 3 with Pegulas as owners. They have had 3 top 3 draft picks since buying the team, top 10 picks every year since 2012. Going into the season they were the worst the last 7 years.

Why should Terry be good at running a team? I dont know. Is he really just a lucky rich guy. He really just got lucky and struck oil and was able to sell for a few billion. Not like he has a history of success running businesses or let alone sports teams. 

10 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...nope.. Pegs squashed it in a nanosecond with Chris Koch...AND...Brandon has not talked to Koch since.....New Era has 66% market share of the pro sports hat market...owning both the Bills and Sabres, Pegs could make a pretty big stink about New Era at Owners' meetings I would think...

Interesting...I never heard about any of that stuff.  I thought Brandon was quietly over there this whole time.

2 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

Now the narrative is that the Pegulas earned their billions by chance/luck, because they "happened" to own land under which oil existed?

LOL

Yeah, OK. Hey, too bad I didn't luck into billions with all of my millions of acres of oil reserve land that I just happened to wake up one day owning.

Nobody really believes that anyway... it's just a cheap shot from embittered fans that think anything the teams do is automatically wrong. Kraft is a sick, twisted man who made two good decisions as Patriots owner: hiring Belichick and keeping his mouth shut afterward. I guess he's a genius though, because Super Bowls!

This desire to attack the Pegulas is simple I think. Many were against the Sabres tank and felt ridiculed for it. The Sabres got Eichel and Dahlin, and they had to hear all about it. So they dug in and attack the team every chance they get (and the W/L record has made that easy lately). So Eichel isn't any good. Dahlin is overrated. They were fine with a team of JAGs striving for 8th place... WE (pro tankers) WERE ALL WRONG DAMMIT! The tank failed! JUST ADMIT IT NOW! (but hurry before this group of guys who can't even buy a freaking beer in this country mature).

On the Bills side some think Whaley had built a juggernaut of a team and Rex came in and ruined it all (by going .500, better than any coach since Wade). We ruined a potential SB contender by not hiring Jim Schwartz as HC (nobody else has either BTW)! When Whaley was canned they were upset by everyone piling on him for embarrassing the team with his incompetent press conference. He's loved all around the league they said!

Yet oddly nobody wanted to give him the keys to their future... Well, I guess the XFL did!

To make matters worse, McBeane immediately breaking the drought made their position tougher. But then the team picked the "wrong QB" and it was game on last spring/summer!

However, Josh Allen having some nice moments made their stomachs queasy. What if they were wrong? No, no NO!

So now these Whaley fans, the anti-tank crew, and Russ Brandon (who probably still posts here) want vindication. It's just human nature.

Here's the cool part: WHEN the Bills and Sabres win, how much credit will Russ Brandon, Doug Whaley, and whatever the people who hate the Sabres now wanted instead get for it?

Well said.

3 hours ago, Lurker said:

Take it for what its worth, but I got it from a good source. 

The latest departures weren't about performance, they were largely "Russ B, the sequel..."

I hate to say this but it makes it a little better for me. If these people are a problem outside the office they should be fired. I’d be more nervous if they just couldn’t decide what they wanted in leadership. 

3 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

LOL

I sorta get your narrative, but it doesn't change the fact that even if you are a billionaire it doesn't automatically make you a smart sports owner. That is just a fact. It just gives you the means to try to figure it out. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, HansLanda said:

I sorta get your narrative, but it doesn't change the fact that even if you are a billionaire it doesn't automatically make you a smart sports owner. That is just a fact. It just gives you the means to try to figure it out. 

Of course it doesn't make you smart but I think some people just want vindication for their criticism of ownership and are going a little overboard

In the end we all want the same thing

5 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Lately??  How about since Pegula bought the team?  It was 2011.  No playoffs since.  Not a winning season since.  

You're right....Pegula is a genius at tanking!  It's perpetual.  Who would dare "attack" that??

You know what's exciting?

Your teams ownership is about to become a lot less brilliant once Brady's avacado kale smoothies wear off...

Then it's into the abyss for Patriots fans! Awesome run for sure. But now it's time for your team to go back to perpetual 5-11 seasons. 

Patriots fans experience has peaked. It's all downhill from here. 

The Sabres have a bunch of 18-22 year old players. Give it time. Like I said, why does a Patriots fan care about the Buffalo Sabres anyway? 

5 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

You know what's exciting?

Your teams ownership is about to become a lot less brilliant once Brady's avacado kale smoothies wear off...

Then it's into the abyss for Patriots fans! Awesome run for sure. But now it's time for your team to go back to perpetual 5-11 seasons. 

Patriots fans experience has peaked. It's all downhill from here. 

The Sabres have a bunch of 18-22 year old players. Give it time. Like I said, why does a Patriots fan care about the Buffalo Sabres anyway? 

How much time? I always read wait til next year for Buffalo sports