Report: Bengals looking to trade WR John Ross

YoloinOhio

54 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

$4.8M! Jeez. That’s like.......back-up Center money. Truly a cap-prohibitive cost.

Thats not a lot of money to risk on even a decent player.  Ross isn’t nearly that though.  The Bengals don’t want him and their WR corps sucks after AJ Green.  Ask yourself why that is.  He’d also be the highest paid WR on the team currently (pre FA and draft).  And if we had to cut him he’d have a higher dead cap than even Clay.  Sorry if I’m not in favor of the Bills pissing away that kind of cap space. 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/03/06/bengals-say-they-have-plans-to-get-john-ross-more-involved/

Bengals say they have plans to get John Ross more involved

Posted by Michael David Smith on March 6, 2019, 8:12 AM EST
gettyimages-8471578781-e1527447304998.jp
Getty Images

After a report that the Bengals were looking to trade wide receiver John Ross, the Bengals insisted that he’s still in their plans. But what, specifically, are their plans for him?

New Bengals offensive coordinator Brian Callahan indicated that they think Ross, the all-time Scouting Combine 40-yard dash record holder, should be able to do more downfield. Ross scored seven touchdowns last season, but he caught just 21 passes for 210 yards.

4 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Thats not a lot of money to risk on even a decent player.  Ross isn’t nearly that though.  The Bengals don’t want him and their WR corps sucks after AJ Green.  Ask yourself why that is.  He’d also be the highest paid WR on the team currently (pre FA and draft).  And if we had to cut him he’d have a higher dead cap than even Clay.  Sorry if I’m not in favor of the Bills pissing away that kind of cap space. 

Why would we cut him? At worst, he’s what he is right now, a player who is blazing fast who can score TD’s. Sounds good to me.

Edited by BringBackOrton

1 hour ago, BringBackOrton said:

Why would we cut him? At worst, he’s what he is right now, a player who is blazing fast who can score TD’s. Sounds good to me.

If he was that, then Cincy would not be looking to dump him.  But you can pretend if you want.  I just hope the Bills are more grounded in reality.  Judging by the about face the Bengals did it’s obvious no team was interested.  A week ago they put him on the block and now they’re talking about how they want to get him more involved in the offense.  LOL.  Zero interest in trading for him from the league. 

Edited by BarleyNY

2 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

This is a great example of someone trying to win an argument instead of trying to figure out the right course of action.  Let’s look at the whole picture, shall we?

He was targeted 60 times.  He caught only 21 of those passes for a mere 210 yards, but he did have 7 TDs.  5 were intercepted though.  And this was over two seasons in which he played in 16 games.

Whats that all mean?  Well, a catch rate of 35% is abysmal, but getting a TD on 33% of the times he actually caught the ball is sure nice.  The 5 INTs are an issue though - especially considering his catch rate.  It points to a WR who doesn’t run his routes correctly/well or gets knocked off them easily.  The TD to Catch rate points to a blazing fast player since he’s not winning jump balls at his size. Also he’s had injury issues I see.

In any event, I see no reason to guarantee such a player $4.8M.  I wouldn’t do it if he was a street FA and I sure as hell wouldn’t give draft pick compensation on top of that.  If he is cut I’d take a flyer on him, but I wouldn’t guarantee him anything.  The ONLY way I’d consider giving up even a very late pick for him is if responsibility for his guaranteed salary reverted back to Cincy if we cut him - and that’s a rare trade clause. 

Didn’t know that I was in an argument.

most likely, Ross stinks.  I just don’t think that we know who he is for sure yet.  And Dalton probably isn’t the guy to take advantage of his deep speed.

who knows, maybe he clicks with Allen.  Worth a late round flyer if they want to move him.  A Corey Coleman like situation with boom potential if it works out.  Any draft pick is an unknown anyway.

With Allen, I don’t mind kicking the tires on world class speed at WR.

Edited by SWATeam

1 hour ago, BarleyNY said:

If he was that, then Cincy would not be looking to dump him.  But you can pretend if you want.  I just hope the Bills are more grounded in reality.  Judging by the about face the Bengals did it’s obvious no team was interested.  A week ago they put him on the block and now they’re talking about how they want to get him more involved in the offense.  LOL.  Zero interest in trading for him from the league. 

Dang Barley you're real angry.  Who hurt you?