Some draft buzz on discussion of Titans/trade up...

YoloinOhio

The seeming bounty of decent to good QB's that exists in today's NFL sphere (As opposed to a few years ago even) seems to be having a lot of teams reconsidering riding with their "meh" guys. Plus, the explosion of offense in the NFL has made for a dynamic where good enough is not good enough at QB anymore. It would be interesting to see what they could get for Mariota. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

Good stuff. I think clinging to Mariota at this point is basically signing your own death warrant if you're the coach. He's just not that good, but the problem is that he's not bad enough to cut him loose without any second thoughts. It's a tough spot, but it appears that Vrabel sees it clearly. I see Mariota as a poor man's Matt Schaub in terms of his productivity and ceiling.

I was never a Mariota fan before the draft (gimmicky offense and he got hurt a lot).  But I thought he was borderline awesome his 2nd year.  I don’t know what happened.  

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Ok - before I get the chorus of boos, take this with the usual grain of salt. But I did hear something today that could inpact Bills draft if they actually go through with it. I thought there might be a few here who would appreciate it. The rest can just ignore the thread.

My buddy used to coach youth sports here with Vrabel and still talks to him on occasion. There is discussion internally with Titans that they may trade up for Haskins. They aren’t sold on Mariota and vrabel is one of the least patient people on the planet with offensive players.  Vrabes is tight with Ryan Day (his QB coach/OC for 2 years) and actually tried to hire him as his OC last year. He’s really interested in drafting him,  obviously would need to trade up to do so. I think there could be a bit of a bidding war to get to Murray and Haskins with some teams, moreso than the media has caught on to. Mariota will be playing on 5th year option and then will need paid. Apparently vrabel is very opposed.

Smart move for them, Mariota is mediocre.

But would they want to move up to 9?? Seems like they would go higher.

9 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I was never a Mariota fan before the draft (gimmicky offense and he got hurt a lot).  But I thought he was borderline awesome his 2nd year.  I don’t know what happened.  

I think he's suffering from "Alex Smith syndrome" due to the amount of different offensive systems he's already had to learn in just five years. Like Smith, I expect him to have a resurgence later in his career, once he's able to sit back and learn the same offense on a more stable team, perhaps as a backup initially.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Smart move for them, Mariota is mediocre.

But would they want to move up to 9?? Seems like they would go higher.

I’m not sure about who they will trade with (if they even do) but any trades up into the top 10 for QBs will push non QB talent down 

also I don’t expect them to be this aggressive but don’t forget the Bills traded up twice last year to get to 7. The titans or others may need to do the same. The Bills could be the first trade to get into the top 10.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Tannehill with Miami is an example of why you dont extend a QB unless he is a franchise QB.  The money above replacement QBs warrants handcuffs teams.  I expect more teams willing to move on from QBs before giving up second contracts.

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

I’m not sure about who they will trade with (if they even do) but any trades up into the top 10 for QBs will push non QB talent down 

That always the plus. No we can take advantage of those teams instead of always searching for a QB.

1 minute ago, Mat68 said:

Tannehill with Miami is an example of why you dont extend a QB unless he is a franchise QB.  The money above replacement QBs warrants handcuffs teams.  I expect more teams willing to move on from QBs before giving up second contracts.

He could have been good but the injuries really derailed his career.

21 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

also I don’t expect them to be this aggressive but don’t forget the Bills traded up twice last year to get to 7. The titans or others may need to do the same. The Bills could be the first trade to get into the top 10.

If we did that would love to see Cody Ford fall to us at that pick

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

He also seems to be always injured. They may not be able to replace him this year but i think they will try. Different people in place now than when he was drafted. And when it comes time to hand over a huge qb contract that limits how you can approach the rest of the roster, I wouldn’t blame them if they decided not to do it. 

I recall hearing a couple years ago the team wanted him to bulk up in the offseason in an attempt to become more durable. Instead, he dropped weight on the theory that if they can’t catch me, they can’t hurt me. Not all plans work as intended. 

1 hour ago, corta765 said:

Wouldn't be surprised. Mariota is like Tyrod Taylor on steroids in terms of he is good enough but not great but not bad enough where you necessarily want to cut him. His injuries are certainly a major concern. He pre NFL had all the tools you want but seems to have lost some of them. If you are a team in transition Mariota seems like a guy you'd want to bridge but he never has scared me to be a true threat.

Just because u have the tools doesn't mean u got the mind to build something off it. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

I'm not predicting it happens, but I can see AZ going after Murray. I can't imagine that there's anyone out there who is a big Josh Rosen believer at this point. When I say "believer," I'm referring to someone who is absolutely convinced that the guy is going to be a franchise QB. If you're not a believer (and I highly doubt Kingsbury is) and truly believe that Murray is a probable franchise qb, how can you not take him given what we know about the centrality of the QB position?

Yeah I agree with you.  I am still doubtful it happens, at least as we sit here today.  We will see how much more AZ love of Murray buzz surfaces as we keep moving through the offseason.  But lets pretend they are intent on taking Murray, the question then becomes do you let Murray and Rosen battle it out like the Cowboys did with #1 pick Aikman and then taking Walsh the same year in the first round of the supplemental draft.  Or would they try and get some value back out of Rosen while he still has some (he wont have as much if beaten out by Murray) and trade him before the draft?  

I could see teams like Chargers, Broncos, Pats, Saints, etc maybe grabbing him to groom another year or two behind aging accomplished vets.  Or a more needy team now like Titans, Redskins, Jags, Mia, Giants, etc could make a move if they think he is better than what they could get in the draft this year once Murray is off the board.  

Rosen/Murray saga will be interesting to monitor if it starts to gain some steam.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

Good stuff. I think clinging to Mariota at this point is basically signing your own death warrant if you're the coach. He's just not that good, but the problem is that he's not bad enough to cut him loose without any second thoughts. It's a tough spot, but it appears that Vrabel sees it clearly. I see Mariota as a poor man's Matt Schaub in terms of his productivity and ceiling.

Indeed, and it is the worst situation you can have. We kinda had that with TT. 

6 hours ago, PIZ said:

Won't hear any boos from me.  I love this stuff, especially from a solid TBD poster as you YoLo.  This is the kind of stuff that gets me excited.  Draft and Free Agency are my favorite times of the year.  Maybe the Bills being a perennial playoff team will change that.

I wonder if QBs going top 8 will tempt the Bills into taking an elite player at 9 or trade down some thinking the top players will drop some because QBs went higher than expected.

Would be great if Haskins or Murray is there at 9 so the Bills could load up on picks.

I think the odds are both will be gone before #9.  If that is the case, Buffalo's best chance for a trade down might be a team being desperate enough for a QB they they would trade up for Drew Lock.  A while ago there was buzz that Denver is hot for Lock at #10.  If that is still a an active rumor by the end of April, and Denver doesn't preemptively trade up from #10, Buffalo may get interest from a few teams wishing to jump ahead of Denver.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Ok - before I get the chorus of boos, take this with the usual grain of salt. But I did hear something today that could inpact Bills draft if they actually go through with it. I thought there might be a few here who would appreciate it. The rest can just ignore the thread.

My buddy used to coach youth sports here with Vrabel and still talks to him on occasion. There is discussion internally with Titans that they may trade up for Haskins. They aren’t sold on Mariota and vrabel is one of the least patient people on the planet with offensive players.  Vrabes is tight with Ryan Day (his QB coach/OC for 2 years) and actually tried to hire him as his OC last year. He’s really interested in drafting him,  obviously would need to trade up to do so. I think there could be a bit of a bidding war to get to Murray and Haskins with some teams, moreso than the media has caught on to. Mariota will be playing on 5th year option and then will need paid. Apparently vrabel is very opposed.

That QB draft class makes me feel better about EJ Manuel.