Dolphins to Expected to Release Robert Quinn -- I'd take a shot on him

Just now, blacklabel said:

I guess I wouldn't mind if they brought him in. If you went by his pre-draft hype you would've thought this guy was gonna be a perennial sack leader but that hasn't quite been the case. Still a good player. Obviously it'll depend on what kind of money he's looking for, I don't think anyone is going to overpay for him considering the DE talent that can be found in the draft this year.

I still thing they would draft one early even if they take a shot on Quinn. The question for me is how much more than the $5m you will save in 2019 by cutting Murphy would it take to get him here? He was slated to make $12m in 2019 under the terms of the Rams contract that the Dolphins traded for. I wouldn't quite go there.... but if he would sign 3 years, average of $9m per year with a decent number guaranteed for the first two years then I'd be interested.

Murphy wasn't great last year, but I think he can get back to be the player he was for the 'Skins.

There's a pressure to play at the earliest opportunity, for players coming back from injury, and while they can invariably get on the field, they aren't necessarily the explosive player they have been in the past, when they first get back.

I'd be more inclined to stick with Murphy, but try and find another genuine edge rusher in the draft as well, to become Jerry's eventual replacement. If Murphy does get back to his best, you then have things set up nicely for another few years, even with an eventual Hughes retirement.

2 minutes ago, Buddo said:

Murphy wasn't great last year, but I think he can get back to be the player he was for the 'Skins.

There's a pressure to play at the earliest opportunity, for players coming back from injury, and while they can invariably get on the field, they aren't necessarily the explosive player they have been in the past, when they first get back.

I'd be more inclined to stick with Murphy, but try and find another genuine edge rusher in the draft as well, to become Jerry's eventual replacement. If Murphy does get back to his best, you then have things set up nicely for another few years, even with an eventual Hughes retirement.

Murphy was hobbling even when he was supposed to be "healthy" last year. Relying on getting anything from him in 2019 would be a big mistake in my mind. I don't mind them taking the shot they took on him. It was worth the risk, but didn't pay off. They should cut their losses and put the $5m they save to better use.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

That would make a lot of sense too. He is a very good fit for the defense that we run (and they still run something very similar). I currently have the Panthers mocked to take an edge rusher in round 1 - it is their major need for me.

Yeah that is why I think we really should be in play for Quinn

If he fits Carolina then he should fit here just fine

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Murphy was hobbling even when he was supposed to be "healthy" last year. Relying on getting anything from him in 2019 would be a big mistake in my mind. I don't mind them taking the shot they took on him. It was worth the risk, but didn't pay off. They should cut their losses and put the $5m they save to better use.

I'm not sure he was ever truly healthy last year, which is really my point.

Where we are still 'rebuilding', I think we can stand to take a chance on someone like Murphy regaining his form - although I wouldn't be averse to adding a guy like Quinn, and seeing who wins a competition.

We should still be able to cut Murphy and take on a new contract for Quinn, with the space we have, even if it isn't until just prior to the season starting. (Cutting Murphy)

I think, to a small extent, we can still take a chance or two on other guys who are coming off of injuries, but as time goes on, I'd much rather we avoided them, assuming we have become regular contenders. All teams get injuries, I just don't think you need to import them also - unless you are genuinely prepared to sit a guy for a season.

1 hour ago, Buddo said:

I'm not sure he was ever truly healthy last year, which is really my point.

Where we are still 'rebuilding', I think we can stand to take a chance on someone like Murphy regaining his form - although I wouldn't be averse to adding a guy like Quinn, and seeing who wins a competition.

We should still be able to cut Murphy and take on a new contract for Quinn, with the space we have, even if it isn't until just prior to the season starting. (Cutting Murphy)

I think, to a small extent, we can still take a chance or two on other guys who are coming off of injuries, but as time goes on, I'd much rather we avoided them, assuming we have become regular contenders. All teams get injuries, I just don't think you need to import them also - unless you are genuinely prepared to sit a guy for a season.

I don't think Murphy is ever going to be capable of playing at 100% again. That is my point. 

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, BillsSB2020 said:

This would make me extremely happy. Another pass rusher would be the icing on the cake for this defense.

Trent Murphy is decent for the 4 games he plays per season.

Murphy tore his ACL in August of 2017.  I assume they signed him thinking he'd be healthy by the start of training camp or at least before the end of pre-season.  Again like I said, if he's not healthy by 3/17, he's gone.

• Like (+1) 1

With Hughes,Lorax , Murphy, and Shaq I'd target only a more elite edge guy either in FA or high draft pick. Cause Shaq and Lorax can kick inside, we run a rotation , get as many great edge guys as possible but Quinn I'm not so sure bout. Feel he's very mediocre. Id take the chance with Trent . Think he'll be much improved health wise after his second full year from a brutal injury

2 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

With Hughes,Lorax , Murphy, and Shaq I'd target only a more elite edge guy either in FA or high draft pick. Cause Shaq and Lorax can kick inside, we run a rotation , get as many great edge guys as possible but Quinn I'm not so sure bout. Feel he's very mediocre. Id take the chance with Trent . Think he'll be much improved health wise after his second full year from a brutal injury

don't forget 54 ! and still a kid learning

he can play  behind or opposite 55 or Lawson

But yes Bills would do well to be very sure they know what T. Murphy can bring this year.
i might agree with Gunner here about Murphy. Hope i we he is wrong though.
Bills will need to fill that role with a starter. quinn might fit the bill (lol)