Free Agency Fool’s Gold

OldTimer1960

3 hours ago, OldTimer1960 said:

I agree with most of this, but looking at the available FA, it is not an inspiring list to overspend on.

i agree that if they can find a couple of good veteran anchors for the OL who can hold the fort until younger players can supplant them, then by all means sign them.  If you can get role players to sign for "reasonable" contracts - great, but for example if the plan is to sign Jesse James and John Brown to upper third of the league starters contracts, then I'd shy away unless you can reasonably project them to top half of the league starters.  If you have to pay top money for a stop-gap, you are in dangerous territory unless you can' argue that they will help Allen grow this year.

I get you here, but it's not my money and frankly, if they need to spend (and they do) then do it.  I'm not signing the checks...and if you're owners, you want to win.

Saving cap space is what gets you fired eventually. And they'll have enough to re-sign Tre, perhaps Milano, and maybe even Dawkins when the time comes.  

4 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

I get you here, but it's not my money and frankly, if they need to spend (and they do) then do it.  I'm not signing the checks...and if you're owners, you want to win.

Saving cap space is what gets you fired eventually. And they'll have enough to re-sign Tre, perhaps Milano, and maybe even Dawkins when the time comes.  

No wasting dollars on questionable FA talent is what kills you.  They know they need helpnup front and at WR.  They will look to add guys there, but they won't overspend.

2 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

They wasted money on questionable FA talent last year. 

They'll have to be more successful on who they pick and choose this offseason. 

Star was fine.  Murphy was questionable.  Davis lost his mind.  

We all know your schtick by now.  Beane and McD could cure cancer and you'd still come up with negatives.

If Tate doesn't expect #1 money, I think he'd fit the offense quite nicely.  But, I know that's not realistic thinking.  The WR market looks pretty thin, so he can most likely get over market value.  I see him as the player that could open up the offense with the high percentage quick throws and his impressive YAC.  He's a professional and tough.  Young WRs could learn a thing or two from him.  He could mask some of the deficiencies personnel wise on the O.  On second thought, spend the money and get him in here even if it's #1 $, it's not ours.   

15 hours ago, Turk71 said:

A lot of quality dt de in fa this year so some might be had for decent value, the other positions not as deep so top talent will probably come at a premium.

I noted that as well. No excuse for any team with my decent cap space not to improve pass rush unless you’re losing one of these talents. 

Theres like 10-20% of total NFL sacks up for grabs in FA... 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

Star was not fine considering what he's being paid and his production. 

Murphy should be cut this offseason, Davis did lose his mind but also sucked, the trade for Corey Coleman was a waste of money, Bodine was probably the only one who was OK in his role. 

My schtick? They went 6-10 and lack a ***** ton of offensive talent at this point. What would you like me to say? 

Well, you could say they now have the QB and MLB for their future.  You could say they made the playoffs for the first time in 17 years with this HC and GM.  But of course you won't- it would interfere with your schtick.

And Star did his job.

7 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

They went 9-7 with a roster that was basically Whaleys, not McDermotts/Beane's.

QB and MLB of the future is way too premature. I like Allen but major improvement needs to be seen from Edmunds if your keeping him at MLB.

I think McDermott gets his team to play very hard for him, but jury is way out on him still. Way too many blow outs against the better teams of the league and they've been destroyed by the Patriots since he's been coach here.

And there you go.  Nothing but negatives.  Your act is old and tired.