Who do you see as potential risers and fallers after the Combine?

Seoulofstone

https://thedraftnetwork.com/2019/02/21/6-pack-thursday-predicting-combine-standouts/

The combine is on this upcoming week. Which players do you see blowing it away with their physical performance. For me, Charles. Omenihu, Andy Isabella.

Do you see anyone having an Orlando Brown type let down? 

I’m intrigued to see how DK Metcalf tests. Draft network says the TE class is deep so that will be worth watching.

Who are some little talked about guys at the moment who you see their stock rising?

My pick for this is Justin Layne can from Michigan. Watched him play against Ohio and was very impressed. He hasn’t been on the radar at all but I expect him to jump into 2nd-3rd R consideration after the combine. I was glad to see his name come up in this article.

Who are you looking forward to seeing?

44 minutes ago, KOKO NFL said:

Seriously? Only clairvoyant's dare reply to this post before the Combine ?

Err...no. I mean it’s a sports discussion forum. I wasn’t expecting accurate predictions just opinions, which I’m interested to hear. 

Honestly I think the combine testing is more than a bit weird. But I’m still curious to see how people’s opinions change.

• Like (+1) 1

Big risers to watch:  

DK Metcalf - WR:  He will be consensus top WR after draft and first WR taken (top 15).

Oshane Ximines - Edge:  will official have risen from 3rd/4th round projection to a 2nd rounder who could sneak into the first. 

Potential Faller:  Marquise Brown - (he will fall) The injury won’t keep him from being ready by training camp, but not being able to compete at combine is going to allow some other WRs to creep up ahead of him on draft boards.

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1

I think WR N'Keal Harry is going to have a terrible combine since he isn't very fast from what I watched of him which will lead to teams asking if he can separate at the next level so for me he will be a faller.

I'm going back to WR here since there really isn't a #1 guy in the draft. Deebo Samuel really made heads turn with his route running, hands and ability to beat you deep. If he runs well at the combine he could be the #1 WR off the board easily imo, so he is my riser.

• Like (+1) 2

1. I'm going to go bold and say Tyler Murray could fall (assuming he goes).

Scouts could look at him face-to-face standing next to all the other elite athletes and be put off by his lack of size.  If his arm doesn't impress, OR if he wavers at all in his commitment to football over baseball, it could kill his stock.

2. By contrast, Haskins' only reported weaknesses are when he's pressured, which won't happen at the combine - he could shoot way up to a top overall pick QB.

3. Any WR who surprises positively with their 40-time will shoot up the board - there's a need for them.  Scary b/c they might still be reaches - hopefully the Bills don't fall in love with the wrong guy track performance and forget the tape.

Edited by BobChalmers
  • Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, BillsFan1988 said:

Lets have this draft strategy 

#1 - trade bk with Washington 

#15- TJ Hockenson TE

#40- Hakeem Butler  Wr

#47- Dalton Risner O-Line 

#75- Andy Isabella Wr 

This is the wrong thread to keep pushing your draft strategy in. Maybe you misread the OP's thread title?

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Big risers to watch:  

DK Metcalf - WR:  He will be consensus top WR after draft and first WR taken (top 15).

Oshane Ximines - Edge:  will official have risen from 3rd/4th round projection to a 2nd rounder who could sneak into the first. 

Potential Faller:  Marquise Brown - (he will fall) The injury won’t keep him from being ready by training camp, but not being able to compete at combine is going to allow some other WRs to creep up ahead of him on draft boards.

Metcalf is going to be interesting for sure. How is his neck injury? We will see how freely he moves and the medical checkup. He’s also knocked for his route running due to the limited tree he ran in Miss. so some of the drills will be interesting.

From the perspective of all theWR prospects the gauntlet drill is worth watching. Hakeem Butler for example  has been criticized for drops this season past.

9 minutes ago, BuffAlone said:

Hollywood Brown will Definately fall due to injury, which is unfortunate. 

As for who will rise, I think Kaleb McGary will show excellent feet for a man his size. I can see him rise to the 3rd round

Yes unfortunate for him but someone will get a bargain. He’s not due to miss training camp. Then again, the cautionary tale here is John Ross.

I think OL is very interesting. After the hype surrounding the colts rise this season my feeling is that OL in general will be overdrafted. If you check out other NFL fan forums, nearly all of them have identical threads. Sign Saffold and Paradis in FA. Cody Ford, Chris Lindstrom and Dalton Risner. My theory is that everyone believes these guys will drop but the opposite may be true. So the question becomes do you want Risner so bad because he said some nice things about Buffalo, or can you live with a guy like Connor McGovern. Michael Jordan or even Ben Powers  later? I like Risner (especially his position versatility) but he did have a dodgy first day at the senior bowl where he repeatedly was beaten on reps. Also he’s 24 which can be both good and bad.

It makes me wonder even more about OL. We know that it’s not unusual to take a year or two to adapt to the speed at the professional level-especially for tackles. Fans expect to draft guys who will transform things immediately. But I remember the hype surrounding guys like Forrest Lamp, Billy Price and Frank Ragnow who were all considered very good picks. So maybe there is an argument for taking a guy with attributes like Greg Little, knowing that properly coached up he can be a REAL franchise changer. After all Beane has a track record for that having drafted Allen and Edmunds.

It’s hard because most sport fans have no patience and GMs and coaches are expected to win now but that’s just maybe not always a fair expectation for OL. As I said, after the colts this year, it’s like every fanbase in the league thinks it’s that easy to transform your OL, but it’s the exception not the rule....

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Big risers to watch:  

Agreed on Marquise Brown.  Despite his obvious speed, GMs are going to be very nervous about expecting more than a role player from a receiver who is under 170 lbs.  The combine and pro days were going to be his chance to put on a little muscle and show he still had a elite speed while weight a little more.  That chance is gone.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Seoul_panther said:

Yes unfortunate for him but someone will get a bargain. He’s not due to miss training camp. Then again, the cautionary tale here is John Ross.

I think OL is very interesting. After the hype surrounding the colts rise this season my feeling is that OL in general will be overdrafted. If you check out other NFL fan forums, nearly all of them have identical threads. Sign Saffold and Paradis in FA. Cody Ford, Chris Lindstrom and Dalton Risner. My theory is that everyone believes these guys will drop but the opposite may be true. So the question becomes do you want Risner so bad because he said some nice things about Buffalo, or can you live with a guy like Connor McGovern. Michael Jordan or even Ben Powers  later? I like Risner (especially his position versatility) but he did have a dodgy first day at the senior bowl where he repeatedly was beaten on reps. Also he’s 24 which can be both good and bad.

It makes me wonder even more about OL. We know that it’s not unusual to take a year or two to adapt to the speed at the professional level-especially for tackles. Fans expect to draft guys who will transform things immediately. But I remember the hype surrounding guys like Forrest Lamp, Billy Price and Frank Ragnow who were all considered very good picks. So maybe there is an argument for taking a guy with attributes like Greg Little, knowing that properly coached up he can be a REAL franchise changer. After all Beane has a track record for that having drafted Allen and Edmunds.

It’s hard because most sport fans have no patience and GMs and coaches are expected to win now but that’s just maybe not always a fair expectation for OL. As I said, after the colts this year, it’s like every fanbase in the league thinks it’s that easy to transform your OL, but it’s the exception not the rule....

Very well said and I couldn't agree more. Besides the popular names that you shared, I think there is a deep class at O-line this year. and wouldn't be surprised to find starters, albeit not elite by most pundits' opinions, in rds 3-5. Likely names I've not even heard of. As long as they are worthy of their draft position, I trust McBeane to make the right pick. We need upgrades mostly everywhere, and if the last 2 drafts are any indication that our scouts know what they're doing, I expect nothing less than another very good to great draft class. One piece at a time?

• Like (+1) 1

No body rises or falls at the combine, excluding injuries or unknown pre-existing medical conditions.  

What is happening is the media spends enough time around GMs and scouts that they are starting to get a feel about what they think about these guys, and thus have a more accurate image of where they may go in the draft.  

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

No body rises or falls at the combine, excluding injuries or unknown pre-existing medical conditions.  

What is happening is the media spends enough time around GMs and scouts that they are starting to get a feel about what they think about these guys, and thus have a more accurate image of where they may go in the draft.  

It’s a rarity. The combine is primarily about confirmation of all the tape scouts and GMs have watched, and Interviews conducted. However, stock can definitely rise and fall. Big risers are generally small school players that confirm their physical traits are elite, or seriously injured players proving their injury is healed. Guys who fall big generally do something asinine during the process that sets up a massive ?

5 hours ago, BillsFan1988 said:

Lets have this draft strategy 

#1 - trade bk with Washington 

#15- TJ Hockenson TE

#40- Hakeem Butler  Wr

#47- Dalton Risner O-Line 

#75- Andy Isabella Wr 

Love it! But would want another OL at#75.