This Off-season should be all about Allen

BillsFan1988

34 minutes ago, BillsFan1988 said:

Yup and most elite TEs win multiple Superbowls . I dont know the numbers per say but especially since 2000 there's been more elite TEs winning Superbowls then elite Wrs.

It helps, but I don't remember Tony Gonzalez or Antonio Gates winning one, and they were two of the best over the last 30-40 years.

But yes a good TE is a young QB's best friend

1 hour ago, RocCityRoller said:

It helps, but I don't remember Tony Gonzalez or Antonio Gates winning one, and they were two of the best over the last 30-40 years.

But yes a good TE is a young QB's best friend

Since 2000 Shannon Sharpe  1, Gronk has 2 , Julius Thomas 1, Jeremy Shockey won 2 , Martellus Bennett 2, Dallas Clark 1 .  These guys were all considered elite when they won. 

Edited by BillsFan1988

I believe we will sign Jesse James and every year there's a player in the draft you just know will end up a Bill. For me it was Zay Jones and then horrible Harry.

This year it is TE Irv Smith jr. He will be a Bill......and if he makes it to the top of the 3rd like Harry did,  Mbeane will smell like Mcroses.

Edited by billsredneck1

This being the ‘1st of its kind’ thread this offseason, (?) I’ll opine it is far less essential we garner every damn position upgrade we can right now. The biggest reason I think this -and it has rarely been discussed, is the $55Million MORE we’ll have to spend in 2020 (currently estimated @$133M!) That’s without a League authorized bump in Cap, which can be expected. We currently have the most Cap space for ‘20 in the League. I don’t recall a time in the FA era we were ever this close to the top, 2 seasons running.

McBeane has said repeatedly we aren’t going crazy with this cash, while saying nothing of ‘20. I suspect new FA’s will not be ‘name’ players and signed at reasonable price tags (well maybe aside from ex-Panthers..)The Brass is dedicated to growing and keeping the team through the Draft. I have no reason to question the mans’ repeated stance. I think WR is a better group than most do, but I’m sure a couple new ones will join the team. The OL played its best ball near the end of the season, with mostly veterans of 3 yrs+. Yes, we have to stabilize the middle of both lines and we now have a glaring need at TE and real concern at RB. Lost in all the blame laid at the OL’s feet, Shady’s skills dropped off dramatically. 

10 Picks is a rare and tremendous opportunity, that coincides with the stated direction. I won’t bother with my LAMP desires. I’ll just be watching with great anticipation.

• Like (+1) 2

I realize Kc got a nice O-line but we never hear about them.  What u hear about especially when you talk about Mahomes is his weapons and how he wouldn't be as good without them.  

We're not getting weapons like Hill or Kelce in free agency but we can buy O-Line and D-Line plus other positions.  Let's get some serious help for Allen.

5 hours ago, wppete said:

I want Hakeem Butler over all other WRs in the draft. He is going to be a stud in the NFL. Reminds me of a bigger more athletic AJ Green. 

Exactly I've watched all their highlights over and over....first dk Metcalf I came away impressed but noticed he takes too long to get into a full stride and has limited moves after the catch....

Then I watched nkeal Harry and I was blown away with his athleticism and hands and speed at 6 foot 4 he's probably the safest bet in this draft at wr imo....

Then I watched the other top dogs Harmon and Hollywood brown and really felt that butler has the best traits of dk and the athletic moves of nkeal and a much greater catch radius than either....this kid is mega tron take him at 9 and be called a fool and watch this kid be josh Allen's best friend this year making all kinds of crazy circus catches and catching all kinds of bombs from him...we already have our speed guy in foster to stretch the field and command the double team....zay Jones is the dependable number 2 tough third down clutch work the middle kind of talent....and then we would have our true number 1 who has the deep speed the size and the ability to make teams double him and make 1 on 1 opportunities for our other side receivers and take pressure off the run game.....draft a tackle and a center after in rounds 2 and 3....sign Jessie james....sign another marquee offensive lineman in fa and boom the team is solid and will really be a totally different animal....with the defense we have if we had a half way decent offense we would've crushed some teams this year 

6 hours ago, Bangarang said:

How many threads do we need that tell us we need receivers and o-line help?

Do we NEED any?

But I get your point....maybe soneone can start a thread for folks to predict what the AFC East records and competition will look like...dunno.

Only problem is that it just seems to take one person whining about not understanding a new thread for it to get closed...so I don't feel like going there.

It is the off season and we wore out talking about Kraft's ween and prostitutes...what's left?

:)

10 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

What they do on O line will be more important this offseason for Allen then the specific TE and receivers they bring in..

You are exactly right.  Allen had no time to throw and the backs had no room to run.  O-line had more leaks than Kraft's claim of innocence. Fix o-line, shore up the defensive depth, and get one good weapon for the offence.  I don't care about the mix between free agents and the draft as long as the Bills don't crawl back into a cap hole. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

I’ll opine it is far less essential we garner every damn position upgrade we can right now. The biggest reason I think this -and it has rarely been discussed, is the $55Million MORE we’ll have to spend in 2020 (currently estimated @$133M!) That’s without a League authorized bump in Cap, which can be expected. We currently have the most Cap space for ‘20 in the League. I don’t recall a time in the FA era we were ever this close to the top, 2 seasons running.

I knew we we're going to be in good shape next year but I had no idea the Bills were that flush.   Solid info.  Thanks for posting.

10 hours ago, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

You are exactly right.  Allen had no time to throw and the backs had no room to run.  O-line had more leaks than Kraft's claim of innocence. Fix o-line, shore up the defensive depth, and get one good weapon for the offence.  I don't care about the mix between free agents and the draft as long as the Bills don't crawl back into a cap hole. 

Actually if u dig a little deeper the O-line gave Allen plenty of time.  Allen took a league highest 3.2 secs to pass the ball per pass. The run blocking was not so good but when Ivory was out there he seemed to fit what they like to do more.  What I'm basically saying is yes the O-Line deserves some criticism but the problems are coming from McCoy and Allen also.

19 hours ago, WideNine said:

Agree to a point.

Most years are not very deep at "game changing" TEs. The past is not always a clear indicator of the future when it comes to drafts.

Last year teams gobbled up QBs in the 1st, does that mean they should go all in this year? I think "results may vary".

This year is different, and I will never understand the total acceptance of meh receivers taken rd 1, when there is clearly more mismatches for defenses trying to cover an athletic TE with hands. 

TEs keep the chains moving and successful offenses usually have a good TE on their roster.

Rookie QBs benefit substantially having a solid if not elite TE. Taking one out of a solid program like Iowa is no more a risk than any other draft receiving option IMO.

With all that being said I would like to see the Bills trade down and pick up an extra pick and still get someone like Hockenson.

A great TE could grow to be a productive tandem with Allen and maybe help him by being that check down option when he gets that competitive urge to run through defenders.

IMO ... TE's typically require more time to get open .. than 3 step drops and slants to WR's .. so if you don't have an OL to allow for such time .. the TE impact is potentially mitigated.  Plus the OL IMO provides more help not only for Josh but the running game.

16 hours ago, BillsFan1988 said:

Since 2000 Shannon Sharpe  1, Gronk has 2 , Julius Thomas 1, Jeremy Shockey won 2 , Martellus Bennett 2, Dallas Clark 1 .  These guys were all considered elite when they won. 

We may be expanding the definition of "elite" here .. Julius Thomas & Dallas Clark .. may owe their stats to a guy named Manning, see Bennett's stats below .. think "elite" is a stretch

Year Age Tm Pos No. G GS Tgt Rec Yds Y/R TD Lng R/G Y/G Ctch% Rush Yds TD Lng Y/A Y/G A/G Touch Y/Tch YScm RRTD Fmb AV
2008 21 DAL fb/te 80 16 7 27 20 283 14.2 4 37 1.3 17.7 74.1%               20 14.2 283 4 0 2
2009 22 DAL te 80 14 6 30 15 159 10.6 0 21 1.1 11.4 50.0%               15 10.6 159 0 0 1
2010 23 DAL TE/wr 80 16 11 47 33 260 7.9 0 32 2.1 16.3 70.2%               33 7.9 260 0 1 2
2011 24 DAL te 80 14 7 26 17 144 8.5 0 15 1.2 10.3 65.4%               17 8.5 144 0 0 1
2012 25 NYG TE 85 16 16 89 55 626 11.4 5 33 3.4 39.1 61.8%               55 11.4 626 5 0 7
2013 26 CHI TE 83 16 15 94 65 759 11.7 5 43 4.1 47.4 69.1%               65 11.7 759 5 1 7
2014* 27 CHI TE 83 16 15 128 90 916 10.2 6 37 5.6 57.3 70.3%               90 10.2 916 6 0 7
2015 28 CHI TE 83 11 11 80 53 439 8.3 3 24 4.8 39.9 66.3%               53 8.3 439 3 2 4
2016 29 NWE TE 88 16 12 73 55 701 12.7 7 58 3.4 43.8 75.3% 2 10 0 6 5.0 0.6 0.1 57 12.5 711 7 0 7
2017 30 2TM     9 7 44 30 286 9.5 0