This Off-season should be all about Allen

BillsFan1988

56 minutes ago, BuffAlone said:

The D line expected to go in the 1st rd are anything but overrated! In fact, there are about 4 of them that are blue chip/elite players. You're fooling yourself if you don't believe that. Personally, you don't draft either of your guys at #9. You take BPA no matter what. I'd be a player for either if we move back to the teens and pick up another pick(s), but no way do we draft them inside the top ten, with likely blue chip players on both lines still available. And If we land a TE like JJ in FA, no way we even consider another TE in the draft till rd 4. 

Who's the blue chip olineman guys that are projected to be better RT in NFL. 

The Dline who is the blue chippers u talking about at #9 . Bosa , Allen & Quin Williams will be gone. U want the undersized Oliver he's not gonna be in longterm he's a tweener at DT how much of these guys pan out. Other then John Randle I can't think of much. JR was a late rd pk to for that reason. 

Ideally I would love if the Bills  trade bk and still get Hock or DK that would be amazing but if we can't I still think u take one of them at #9.  These guys have just as much potential and even more then those lineman on both sides of the ball.  Plus we get the difference maker skill talent that we desperately need. 

12 minutes ago, BillsFan1988 said:

Who's the blue chip olineman guys that are projected to be better RT in NFL. 

The Dline who is the blue chippers u talking about at #9 . Bosa , Allen & Quin Williams will be gone. U want the undersized Oliver he's not gonna be in longterm he's a tweener at DT how much of these guys pan out. Other then John Randle I can't think of much. JR was a late rd pk to for that reason. 

Ideally I would love if the Bills  trade bk and still get Hock or DK that would be amazing but if we can't I still think u take one of them at #9.  These guys have just as much potential and even more then those lineman on both sides of the ball.  Plus we get the difference maker skill talent that we desperately need. 

Dont forget Josh Allen. He is actually the highest rated defensive player in the draft according to NFL network ratings. Yes, you might consider him a LB but he will also play some edge.Rashaan Gary is another highly rated guy. And I'm not sure that Oliver is a tweeter. He's versatile at his size, maybe a bit small for DT, a bit big for edge, but a beast wherever you put him.  He's roughly the same size as Aaron Donald, so there's another comparison.At oline, hard to argue Jonah Williams is not elite. And on the cusp I'd say Jawaan Taylor.

Those positions, at face value, are more detrimental to the Bills success than TE or even WR IMO. Do we need those positions? Hell yes. But at #9 overall? No way. You take the BPA regardless of need, with the exception of QB of course, which none would be ranked that high anyway

Buffalo needs to just do what they can to improve the team overall. All three phases need improvement, including the defense. Yes, I agree that the offense needs the most attention, but if we bring in a couple impactful defenders to really put this defense over the top, can anyone complain? We need an edge rusher, and more depth at linebacker and Corner.

But yes, the bulk of the attention should go to the offense.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BillsBlue said:

I agree but I don't want dk I want nkeal Harry or hakeem butler 

Here's my favorite wr in this draft

LeBron in a football uniform is right, and this kids got better wheels than dk and he's 6'6"  has crazy hands and moves after the catch better than dk as well.

I want Metcalf or Butler badly. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BillsBlue said:

hakeem butler 

LeBron in a football uniform is right, and this kids got better wheels than dk and he's 6'6"  has crazy hands and moves after the catch better than dk as well.

Butler has been training with Megatron recently, which can only help.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, WideRightRevenge said:

I agree with the thread .. but someone please name me a "gamechanger" 1st round TE since I don't know (went back 5 years) .. my point is ... I'm not anti Hockerson or addressing the position .. but just not in the first 2 rounds .. get him OL and/or WR.

Recent TE Draft History

2018 - Hayden Hurst .. Game changer think not

2017 - Quite the run .. but are we saying Engram (who has OBJ pulling coverage), Njoku, Howard (Mike Evans pulling coverage) are "gamechangers" ... noting Tre White was picked after 2 of those and just before Njoku .. think he's had more impact ... my point we don't have the WR two of these TE's have so a standalone TE doesn't greatly influence a game.

2016 - None Picked

2015 - None Picked

2014 - Ebron

Agree to a point.

Most years are not very deep at "game changing" TEs. The past is not always a clear indicator of the future when it comes to drafts.

Last year teams gobbled up QBs in the 1st, does that mean they should go all in this year? I think "results may vary".

This year is different, and I will never understand the total acceptance of meh receivers taken rd 1, when there is clearly more mismatches for defenses trying to cover an athletic TE with hands. 

TEs keep the chains moving and successful offenses usually have a good TE on their roster.

Rookie QBs benefit substantially having a solid if not elite TE. Taking one out of a solid program like Iowa is no more a risk than any other draft receiving option IMO.

With all that being said I would like to see the Bills trade down and pick up an extra pick and still get someone like Hockenson.

A great TE could grow to be a productive tandem with Allen and maybe help him by being that check down option when he gets that competitive urge to run through defenders.

4 hours ago, BillsBlue said:

I want Hakeem Butler over all other WRs in the draft. He is going to be a stud in the NFL. Reminds me of a bigger more athletic AJ Green. 

• Like (+1) 1

I tried google to no avail, but with all the talk of only spending 50 percent of the 80 plus million in cap space, I'd like to know if that would place the Bills in a situation where the money was forfeited? Seems like we've become obsessed with cap space.

I expect the Bills to be pretty active in free agency. I think the regime may feel a bit of pressure to win in 2019. Not so much that they'll spend like drunken sailors, but billionaires tend to grow impatient. This is a pretty big season for McDermott and Beane and I expect Beane to come out firing.

2 hours ago, BuffAlone said:

Dont forget Josh Allen. He is actually the highest rated defensive player in the draft according to NFL network ratings. Yes, you might consider him a LB but he will also play some edge.Rashaan Gary is another highly rated guy. And I'm not sure that Oliver is a tweeter. He's versatile at his size, maybe a bit small for DT, a bit big for edge, but a beast wherever you put him.  He's roughly the same size as Aaron Donald, so there's another comparison.At oline, hard to argue Jonah Williams is not elite. And on the cusp I'd say Jawaan Taylor.

Those positions, at face value, are more detrimental to the Bills success than TE or even WR IMO. Do we need those positions? Hell yes. But at #9 overall? No way. You take the BPA regardless of need, with the exception of QB of course, which none would be ranked that high anyway

Again do u know Gary has less then 12 sacks in his college career I believe 3 of them last yr. No thanks I don't care what kind of athlete he is he's not a baller. 

Oliver is a tweener that's exactly what a tweener is to big for DE to small for DT and he's not even in the same neighborhood as Donald.  There's a good 20lbs difference there . To me that's just a very lazy comp.

1 hour ago, MJS said:

Buffalo needs to just do what they can to improve the team overall. All three phases need improvement, including the defense. Yes, I agree that the offense needs the most attention, but if we bring in a couple impactful defenders to really put this defense over the top, can anyone complain? We need an edge rusher, and more depth at linebacker and Corner.

But yes, the bulk of the attention should go to the offense.

What this team lacks is difference makers and total team depth. Most importantly difference makers in skill positions.  

34 minutes ago, WideNine said:

Agree to a point.

Most years are not very deep at "game changing" TEs. The past is not always a clear indicator of the future when it comes to drafts.

Last year teams gobbled up QBs in the 1st, does that mean they should go all in this year? I think "results may vary".

This year is different, and I will never understand the total acceptance of meh receivers taken rd 1, when there is clearly more mismatches for defenses trying to cover an athletic TE with hands. 

TEs keep the chains moving and successful offenses usually have a good TE on their roster.

Rookie QBs benefit substantially having a solid if not elite TE. Taking one out of a solid program like Iowa is no more a risk than any other draft receiving option IMO.

With all that being said I would like to see the Bills trade down and pick up an extra pick and still get someone like Hockenson.

A great TE could grow to be a productive tandem with Allen and maybe help him by being that check down option when he gets that competitive urge to run through defenders.

Yup and most elite TEs win multiple Superbowls . I dont know the numbers per say but especially since 2000 there's been more elite TEs winning Superbowls then elite Wrs.

35 minutes ago, BillsFan1988 said:

Again do u know Gary has less then 12 sacks in his college career I believe 3 of them last yr. No thanks I don't care what kind of athlete he is he's not a baller. 

Oliver is a tweener that's exactly what a tweener is to big for DE to small for DT and he's not even in the same neighborhood as Donald.  There's a good 20lbs difference there . To me that's just a very lazy comp.

What this team lacks is difference makers and total team depth. Most importantly difference makers in skill positions.  

Umm....Donald was 6'1"285bs heading into the combine

Oliver is 6'3, 280-292( depending on which site you look at) heading into the combine.

Wth do you mean that its a lazy comparison?? Lmao dude

I really don't care what YOUR opinion is about Gary. He's got all the tools and he's going top 15 in the draft.That may not be "elite", but projected production is there.

I agree whole heartedly that we need skill positions, but I don't see the value for either Metcalf or Hockenson at #9 overall.

And I highly doubt McBeane does either. 

Nothing Lazy about my opinion, but it differs from yours. And I hope like hell yours differs from McBeane's!

Oliver was a 5 star recruit who had 39.5 TFL in 25 games. T hats a 1.66 per game average. Next on the list is only 1.09 per game. Oliver will be a great pro

Edited by BuffAlone
  • Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, BillsBlue said:

thank you for this highlight reel. I admit I'm not sold on DK either and like Nkeal more. I have to admit I didn't watch much Iowa State but this guy is a beast. How many spectacular contested catches, beast mode on a secondary and speed can you cram in one highlight reel?

Really good suggestion BillsBlue

• Thank you (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, BillsFan1988 said:

Yup and most elite TEs win multiple Superbowls . I dont know the numbers per say but especially since 2000 there's been more elite TEs winning Superbowls then elite Wrs.

that number is skewed due to the Cheaters. What other elite TE's have won a SB since 2000?

1 minute ago, RocCityRoller said:

thank you for this highlight reel. I admit I'm not sold on DK either and like Nkeal more. I have to admit I didn't watch much Iowa State but this guy is a beast. How many spectacular contested catches, beast mode on a secondary and speed can you cram in one highlight reel?

Really good suggestion BillsBlue

he has dropped a lot of balls. T hats my only concern with him. He admittedly lacks focus