This Off-season should be all about Allen

BillsFan1988

Free agency and the draft are coming soon and the Bills need to invest in the biggest investment by far Josh Allen.  I think we can all agree here that as Allen goes so goes the Bills . McBeane can not afford a 2019 season where Allen takes steps back. If this offense does not get much better in 2019 the process can be looking for work elsewhere . McBeane needs to know this and put major assets into a offense that doesn't have any difference maker talents  other then the QB.  Now I realize the first rd is not plush with elite talents but there is 2 players I believe that fit the Bill.

#1 TJ Hockenson - TJ is cut in the mold of the great TEs in this league he is a true blue chip propect at his position.  He can do it all and is as safe as pk as it comes in this draft.

#2  DK Metcalf- DK is a Calvin Johnson clone in many ways he's big strong & fast. I like this comparison because just like Megatron DK wasn't asked to do much in college as far as running routes and being used heavily in the passing gms . They are both raw prospects that will be drafted based on there projections on the NFL level. 

McBeane needs to add 1 of these 2 players in the first whether it's at pk #9 or via a trade back into the teens.  How else will we get a blue chip talent this offense desperately needs . Free agency is full of complementary players not stars and we are not trading for Antonio Brown or OBJ. 

The off-season needs to be centered around the possibility of drafting 1 of these 2 possible future NFL stars. With that being said I won't stop there if we take Hock in the 1st the plan in the 2nd should be to get a Wr and at #40 there should be some really good prospects available. The same should be said for if we take DK first then the 2nd pk should go to TE. Maybe we trade up to get Fant in early 2nd or late first. Basically our first 2 pks should be a combination of these 2 positions. No matter who we take in first 2 rds I will take Andy Isabella in the 3rd this kid will be a star slot Wr for yrs to come.  After these 3 pks get your running back of the future in the 4th and in the rest of the draft take best player available at any positions . We will have 6pks left to add to the depth of this team. 

McBeane can't let a position of need get in the way of acquiring a blue chip player at the skill positions. We can't let a need at RT or DT be the reason we skip on these guys. If we do go in another direction I will lose faith in this regime as they will prove to be no different then the men that ran this team before them. 

Free Agency 

In free agency McBeane should do his best to fix the Oline even if it means overspending to do it. Go after Trent Brown,  D Williams and Morse we won't get them all but we should try. If we can't get those guys go after whoever is left at the Oline there's plenty of starting caliber players available we should be able to put together a solid line for 2019 season and beyond. At Wr don't spend big but we should add 1 guy John Brown that can lead this group until the rookies are ready to produce. Also sign a #2 TE that can block and catch preferably Jessie James .  

This is the type of offseason Allen needs to be given a chance to succeed where most of our assets will be set towards his growth.  On defense we should use the mid rds to touch up and maybe 1 big signing in free agency like Sheldon Richardson or Grady Jarrett.  Otherwise sign 2nd tier depth players like EJ Gaines at CB he will come cheap and had shown to flourish in Mcd defense.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I am not an all your eggs in one basket guy. Allen has potential, but has not become a HOF Franchise guy yet. We all want him to be it, but time will tell if he will ever be that guy. We always need a Plan B, C and D in life. Whoever we get should build the team toward the future, whomever that future QB may turns out to be. Allen or otherwise!

Edited by simpleman

11 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

I’m pretty sure they will do whatever they can to help the offense and Allen with weapons but not reach for players at the same time in the draft.  

This is one of the most over-rated quotes leading into drafts about reaching.  If u identify a player that u believe will be good to great as a pro it doesn't matter where u take him. We've seen to many guys bust at every spot in the first rd at every position.  With that being said take the guy u want and live with the results regardless of where u take him because at the end of the day if u redo the draft from previous yrs it will never come out the same way.  Guys that went into the late rds or even u drafted will be first rd pks.

1 hour ago, BillsFan1988 said:

Free agency and the draft are coming soon and the Bills need to invest in the biggest investment by far Josh Allen.  I think we can all agree here that as Allen goes so goes the Bills . McBeane can not afford a 2019 season where Allen takes steps back. If this offense does not get much better in 2019 the process can be looking for work elsewhere . McBeane needs to know this and put major assets into a offense that doesn't have any difference maker talents  other then the QB.  Now I realize the first rd is not plush with elite talents but there is 2 players I believe that fit the Bill.

#1 TJ Hockenson - TJ is cut in the mold of the great TEs in this league he is a true blue chip propect at his position.  He can do it all and is as safe as pk as it comes in this draft.

#2  DK Metcalf- DK is a Calvin Johnson clone in many ways he's big strong & fast. I like this comparison because just like Megatron DK wasn't asked to do much in college as far as running routes and being used heavily in the passing gms . They are both raw prospects that will be drafted based on there projections on the NFL level. 

McBeane needs to add 1 of these 2 players in the first whether it's at pk #9 or via a trade back into the teens.  How else will we get a blue chip talent this offense desperately needs . Free agency is full of complementary players not stars and we are not trading for Antonio Brown or OBJ. 

The off-season needs to be centered around the possibility of drafting 1 of these 2 possible future NFL stars. With that being said I won't stop there if we take Hock in the 1st the plan in the 2nd should be to get a Wr and at #40 there should be some really good prospects available. The same should be said for if we take DK first then the 2nd pk should go to TE. Maybe we trade up to get Fant in early 2nd or late first. Basically our first 2 pks should be a combination of these 2 positions. No matter who we take in first 2 rds I will take Andy Isabella in the 3rd this kid will be a star slot Wr for yrs to come.  After these 3 pks get your running back of the future in the 4th and in the rest of the draft take best player available at any positions . We will have 6pks left to add to the depth of this team. 

McBeane can't let a position of need get in the way of acquiring a blue chip player at the skill positions. We can't let a need at RT or DT be the reason we skip on these guys. If we do go in another direction I will lose faith in this regime as they will prove to be no different then the men that ran this team before them. 

Free Agency 

In free agency McBeane should do his best to fix the Oline even if it means overspending to do it. Go after Trent Brown,  D Williams and Morse we won't get them all but we should try. If we can't get those guys go after whoever is left at the Oline there's plenty of starting caliber players available we should be able to put together a solid line for 2019 season and beyond. At Wr don't spend big but we should add 1 guy John Brown that can lead this group until the rookies are ready to produce. Also sign a #2 TE that can block and catch preferably Jessie James .  

This is the type of offseason Allen needs to be given a chance to succeed where most of our assets will be set towards his growth.  On defense we should use the mid rds to touch up and maybe 1 big signing in free agency like Sheldon Richardson or Grady Jarrett.  Otherwise sign 2nd tier depth players like EJ Gaines at CB he will come cheap and had shown to flourish in Mcd defense.  

What if we sign James and another big name TE and trade for AB or another WR.  

Personaly I think they need to take the BPA and not reach for a need the way many of their predicessors did.  Thats what bad GMs do.

16 minutes ago, BillsFan1988 said:

This is one of the most over-rated quotes leading into drafts about reaching.  If u identify a player that u believe will be good to great as a pro it doesn't matter where u take him. We've seen to many guys bust at every spot in the first rd at every position.  With that being said take the guy u want and live with the results regardless of where u take him because at the end of the day if u redo the draft from previous yrs it will never come out the same way.  Guys that went into the late rds or even u drafted will be first rd pks.

Is that you Buddy Nix.

Probably because that is the exact way it will be.

Edited by formerlyofCtown
  • Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

Personaly I think they need to take the BPA and not reach for a need the way many of their predicessors did.  Thats what bad GMs do.

Is that you Buddy Nix.

#1 TJ Hockenson or DK will fit both I believe they fit need and Bpa 

#2 U can argue all u want but u can't argue the fact that if the draft has redo it never comes out the same.  So that throws your reaching method out the window.  Teams have drafted with your train of thought for yrs no wonder why gms get fired constantly. 

37 minutes ago, simpleman said:

I am not an all your eggs in one basket guy. Allen has potential, but has not become a HOF Franchise guy yet. We all want him to be it, but time will tell if he will ever be that guy. We always need a Plan B, C and D in life. Whoever we get should build the team toward the future, whomever that future QB may turns out to be. Allen or otherwise!

The trick is to build a top rated D and Oline when your QB is a Rook and in his first few years.  This was supposed to be the year he started.  Id bet on it.  They will build the Oline and put the finishing touches on the D.  If the opportunity to grab a WR difference maker makes sense they will do it.  

You are correct though, some people want them to put themselves in cap hell before we see what Allen does in year 2 behind a respectable Oline.  Next season is not SB or bust.

• Like (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

The trick is to build a top rated D and Oline when your QB is a Rook and in his first few years.  This was supposed to be the year he started.  Id bet on it.  They will build the Oline and put the finishing touches on the D.  If the opportunity to grab a WR difference maker makes sense they will do it.  

You are correct though, some people want them to put themselves in cap hell before we see what Allen does in year 2 behind a respectable Oline.  Next season is not SB or bust.

I didn't say spend all our cap this yr but it wouldn't be crazy to say spend 50% of what we have.  Even if we did spend more then that it will be because we have the luxury of front loading the players deal which will open up more cap space next yr and beyond. 

8 minutes ago, BillsFan1988 said:

#1 TJ Hockenson or DK will fit both I believe they fit need and Bpa 

#2 U can argue all u want but u can't argue the fact that if the draft has redo it never comes out the same.  So that throws your reaching method out the window.  Teams have drafted with your train of thought for yrs no wonder why gms get fired constantly. 

Except our guys seem to be rated higher than where they were taken for the most part.  I trust this front office.

At this point those are two players I wouldnt even consider before the 20s, no way in hell do I take either at 9.  We will see how the combine and Pro Days go.  Myself I still have a lot of film to watch, but these DTs are beasts.

3 minutes ago, BillsFan1988 said:

I didn't say spend all our cap this yr but it wouldn't be crazy to say spend 50% of what we have.  Even if we did spend more then that it will be because we have the luxury of front loading the players deal which will open up more cap space next yr and beyond. 

I actually would rather spend that money on Oline and a TE.  It takes time to develope TEs and OL more often than not.

We have one of the best cap situations in the league.

Edited by formerlyofCtown
  • Like (+1) 1

I agree but I don't want dk I want nkeal Harry or hakeem butler 

Here's my favorite wr in this draft

LeBron in a football uniform is right, and this kids got better wheels than dk and he's 6'6"  has crazy hands and moves after the catch better than dk as well.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I agree with the thread .. but someone please name me a "gamechanger" 1st round TE since I don't know (went back 5 years) .. my point is ... I'm not anti Hockerson or addressing the position .. but just not in the first 2 rounds .. get him OL and/or WR.

Recent TE Draft History

2018 - Hayden Hurst .. Game changer think not

2017 - Quite the run .. but are we saying Engram (who has OBJ pulling coverage), Njoku, Howard (Mike Evans pulling coverage) are "gamechangers" ... noting Tre White was picked after 2 of those and just before Njoku .. think he's had more impact ... my point we don't have the WR two of these TE's have so a standalone TE doesn't greatly influence a game.

2016 - None Picked

2015 - None Picked

2014 - Ebron

• Like (+1) 2

43 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

20s

DTs are overrated in my opinion none of them have production to match there draft stock. BTW u get your rankings probably from some mock drafts but these mocks are never right.  It's like taking lottery numbers from a fortune cookie. ?

Sign FA: 

Mitch Morse

Daryl Williams

Jesse James

Draft:

1:DK Metcalf/TJ Hockenson

2:Deebo Samuel/Irv Smith

3:Myles Gaskin/Miles Sanders/Justice Hill

Offense would be significantly improved and Allen with talent around him. Would also leave plenty of money to sign Telvin Coleman and a LB/CB

Edited by ChanticleerBillsFan
  • Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, BillsFan1988 said:

DTs are overrated in my opinion none of them have production to match there draft stock. BTW u get your rankings probably from some mock drafts but these mocks are never right.  It's like taking lottery numbers from a fortune cookie. ?

The D line expected to go in the 1st rd are anything but overrated! In fact, there are about 4 of them that are blue chip/elite players. You're fooling yourself if you don't believe that. Personally, you don't draft either of your guys at #9. You take BPA no matter what. I'd be a player for either if we move back to the teens and pick up another pick(s), but no way do we draft them inside the top ten, with likely blue chip players on both lines still available. And If we land a TE like JJ in FA, no way we even consider another TE in the draft till rd 4. 

2 hours ago, formerlyofCtown said:

Is that you Buddy Nix.

But you also need what I call a landing spot for the BPA otherwise it's a wasted pick.  For example the Jets are drafting near the top, should they take another QB if he's the BPA  to sit behind Darnold as opposed to say they take a WR or lineman to help Darnold.  Or even make the defensive player to make that side stronger.

The best approach is probably somewhere in the middle and realistically you'll never know as whomever any team in the league were to draft, they will tell you he was their BPA on their board.

Granted you don't want to take a projected 4th rounder in the 1st round like many argue was the case with EJ, but you also don't want to be tied to one player either.  BPA is fine as long as you have about 5 or 6 that fit that spot.

Were the Pats really smart to wait to round 6 to draft Brady or just lucky.  IMO lucky

The Bills should absolutely invest in offensive skill position players.  If they're going to get any type of accurate read on whether Allen is improving, staying the same or even regressing they must upgrade RB, TE & WR.  This is also a good way to improve the Offense and the Bills chances of making the playoffs next year.

At the same time the Bills should not break the bank on a high profile player like those two misfits from Pittsburgh.  There is also an O-line to upgrade and the better the O-line the more production we'll get even from our existing skill players.  Clearly the Bill's front offense must balance the O-line rebuild & skill player upgrade and I suspect they're fully aware of this. 

We have to trust in the process until we no longer do.  I would submit that if they sign a bunch of defensive studs but in the end Allen is still running for his life; RB's are still getting nailed for 3 yard losses on 1st down and we can make a 10 minute highlight video of dropped passes we can kiss the "process" goodby.   

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

But you also need what I call a landing spot for the BPA otherwise it's a wasted pick.  For example the Jets are drafting near the top, should they take another QB if he's the BPA  to sit behind Darnold as opposed to say they take a WR or lineman to help Darnold.  Or even make the defensive player to make that side stronger.

The best approach is probably somewhere in the middle and realistically you'll never know as whomever any team in the league were to draft, they will tell you he was their BPA on their board.

Granted you don't want to take a projected 4th rounder in the 1st round like many argue was the case with EJ, but you also don't want to be tied to one player either.  BPA is fine as long as you have about 5 or 6 that fit that spot.

Were the Pats really smart to wait to round 6 to draft Brady or just lucky.  IMO lucky

I’d add that a solid position group without any dominant players can still be considered a position of need in the first round. Under that definition DL is a need for us if there’s blue chip talent available at our first pick. Aside from Hughes, who’s long in the tooth, we don’t have any dominant DL players... Just a whole bunch of average. 

The best help for Allen will be.....Help in the trenches!  The Bills seriously need to improve their O-line in pass protection, but more importantly run blocking.  An improved run game will help Allen immensely.  I'm not opposed to what the OP is suggesting, just stating an improved O-line will pay more dividends overall.  I think Croom showed some potential last year and could have a breakout year as well.   

• Like (+1) 2