Crazy Wind Storm Coming

Winds picked up here and now I am waiting for tree limbs to start to fall. The positive is the snow pile will be gone by the end of the day... and I am hoping the wind clears up the puddles on the lawn.

I made Hubby put his truck in the garage yesterday - watch, a tree limb will crash through the garage roof taking it out.

Edited by Buffalo_Gal

34 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Winds picked up here and now I am waiting for tree limbs to start fall. The positive is the snow pile will be gone by the end of the day... and I am hoping the wind clears up the puddles on the lawn.

I made Hubby put his truck in the garage yesterday - watch, a tree limb will crash through the garage roof taking it out.

Wind coming in Saratoga area around 7.  That is the warning 

Our neighbors have three very large maple trees that are too close to our house.  It’s getting to be annoying. We have paid a lot of money over the years to have branches that hang over the property line trimmed. Whenever a storm is in the forecast, we are on edge and we worry about the trees crashing into our house, or our cars, or the internet and power lines. The house is essentially abandoned.  One owner lives two hours away, the other lives in Florida. The trees are closer to our house than theirs.  We will contact them again this summer and see about taking the trees down. It may cost us thousands of dollars, but it would be money well spent. 

Winds are howling in Lancaster - 60,000 National Grid and NYSEG customers w/out power.  (We lost power twice, but for less than a minute.)

Even my dog Rufus won’t go outside - his big floppy ears flap around like an untrimmed sail.

I’m watching to see small farm animals fly thru the air.

4 hours ago, Gray Beard said:

Our neighbors have three very large maple trees that are too close to our house.  It’s getting to be annoying. We have paid a lot of money over the years to have branches that hang over the property line trimmed. Whenever a storm is in the forecast, we are on edge and we worry about the trees crashing into our house, or our cars, or the internet and power lines. The house is essentially abandoned.  One owner lives two hours away, the other lives in Florida. The trees are closer to our house than theirs.  We will contact them again this summer and see about taking the trees down. It may cost us thousands of dollars, but it would be money well spent. 

If they are Maples as you say, you're in good shape. They have huge root systems underground, very unlikely to collapse.

The trees to look out for are Evergreens. They have tiny root balls underground.

Edited by boater

5 hours ago, DC Tom said:

You get weather warnings in Comic Sans?  What, you couldn't use wingdings?

***** USACE.  :wallbash:

The font is not Comic Sans.  I have the font set to My phone in Android (Nougat) set to: "Cool Jazz." 

Take a close look.. It is not Comic Sans. It's stable across the height of the font.

It's global across my phone... Galaxy S6.

7 hours ago, boater said:

If they are Maples as you say, you're in good shape. They have huge root systems underground, very unlikely to collapse.

The trees to look out for are Evergreens. They have tiny root balls underground.

I’m not too worried about entire trees coming down.  It’s the individual branches that fall.  They’ve fallen on my house, my car, and my wires over the years.   So far so good, and we are at peak winds this morning for this storm according to the weather prognosticators.  

8 hours ago, billsfan_34 said:

Ice boom broke- massive ice down the river. Power lines down, tractor trailer flipped over on the 90 and skyway closed (as usual). Good ole Buffalo!

I accidentally got on the skyway when it was closed. I drove through a blinding blizzard downtown and somehow ended up on the Skyway.  I had been gone for years and didn't know what I was doing. Being on top of the Skyway in complete darkness with only snow in view was like being on another planet. I remember controlling my fearful reaction and realizing what a unique situation I was in. I creeped along with very little vision and I drove past my Tifft st exit. I couldn't see until I got to Ridge Rd then backtracked. I just took that journey again in my mind and it was amazing.