Conditional Picks - The Pats

plenzmd1

5 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

You can’t keep rewarding the top teams and expect parity

It's not like these picks are randomly given out... There's a reason that the Pats are the best during the season, and it's because they're also the best during the offseason.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I must really not get how this works lol. 

Dont you have to lose players in free agency for this and not sign many? I have never fully understood the formula, not sure anyone really does. Multiple 3’s seems quite high though for both them and LA. Doesn’t seem like they lost or didn’t resign many players 

7 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

Dont you have to lose players in free agency for this and not sign many? I have never fully understood the formula, not sure anyone really does. Multiple 3’s seems quite high though for both them and LA. Doesn’t seem like they lost or didn’t resign many players 

It's some ridiculous/complex/secret calculation that takes into account the 'value' of free agents you lose.

So if the Cheatriots had a net FA loss a two good players, they get two 3rd round comp picks based upon the calculated 'value' of those players who went elsewhere.

They can have 20 extra picks - the reason they win is BB and Brady.

Their drafting is unspectacular overall.  They get coachable players but few stars.  So many pieces on that team are interchangeable. - BB the coach makes BB the GM look a lot better.

• Like (+1) 2

Cmon man, all the TBD experts know that compensatory picks are a worthless joke and anyone concerned with them is an idiot. Pay attention.

2 hours ago, ClemsonBills said:

Eventually, when done right, this will be us.

Edited by Turk71

So the formula, I take it, goes something like this:

If the Patriots lose 2 free agents, and sign 1, they receive 2 compensatory picks.

If the Patriots lose 1 free agent, and sign 5, the receive 4 compensatory picks.

Conversely, if Buffalo loses 10 free agents, and signs 1, they receive a 6th round compensatory pick.

If Buffalo loses 15 free agents, and signs none, they receive 0 picks as compensation.

It all makes sense...

• Haha (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

Its very easy actually. The hidden magic formula is really Players gained vs players Lost. If you have more players lost then gained you qualify for a compensatory pick. Then they take the Average Annual Salary Of the players you gained and the players you lost and match them as equally as possible.  

To have a player qualify thy need to meet a certain salary threshold as well. Players signed that were cut from other teams do not count in the players gained column

For Example: 

Buffalo lost:

Seantrel Henderson 

Preston Brown

E.J Gaines

Joe Webb

Buffalo gained:

Murphy

Lotelelei

Stanford

McCarron

Bodine

Bush

6 gained 4 lost = no picks

Now the Patriots were a question

Patriots lost:

Nate Solder

Malcolm Butler

Danny Amendola

Dion Lewis

Joe Bademosi

Cameron Fleming

Patriots Gained:

Adrian Clayborn 

Jeremy Hill

Patriots lost 6 Gained 2= 4 possible comp picks

Solder AAV is over 15 

Butler AAV is over 12

Amendola is almost 6

Lewis almost 5

Bademost 3.1

Fleming 2.5

Clayborn is 5 AAV

Hill was 1.3

So now match em up. 

Lewis and Clayborn cancel each other and Hill and Fleming cancel each other

This leaves Solder= 3rd round, Butler 3rd round,  Amendola 6th round, Bademosi 7th round based on their AAV

• Like (+1) 10
  • Sad 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 11

16 minutes ago, Koko78 said:

It's some ridiculous/complex/secret calculation that takes into account the 'value' of free agents you lose.

There's nothing ridiculous or complex about it. The value it's based on is the amount that player signs for. I've been discussing this on this forum for a decade, but it typically draws blank stares and for some reason is equated to particle physics.

This is not an accident. They aren't participating in some behind-the-scenes shenanigans. These are calculated moves that takes years of foresight to pull off correctly.  Ozzie Newsome is the man who wrote the book on gaming the comp pick system, and the Pats front office has shown over the years that it's taking it to the next level.

Bills' past GM's such as Nix, Whaley, Brandon, Levy, etc, etc, had no clue what was going on in regards to this and were incapable of seeing that far into the future to pull it off. So it sort of makes sense that a large portion of our fan base doesn't understand what's happening here. 

• Like (+1) 1