Two HUGE Coaching Names Who Almost Came to Buffalo

8 hours ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

Sean Payton

According to Mike Rodak (Graham’s co-host), Sean Payton said that he wanted to coach in Buffalo.   According to MR Payton flew into Buffalo to interview for the coaching position in 2005 with Marv Levy.  Unfortunately Marv took Dick Jauron instead.  Like most of the decisions Marv made as GM, this one was terrible.  Payton even then, was known as a great QB coach.  It really makes you wonder what he would have done with the QB position, whether he tried to make JP work or if he’d seek out a new QB like a Drew Brees etc. 

I'm not sure of much in this world, but I am positive that Sean Payton would not have hitched his wagon to JP's star.

8 hours ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

.......... “couldn’t convince their wives to move to Buffalo.” 

Perception and reality. Regarding coaches wife's, I remember when Jerry Glanville was hired his wife said she cried; then years later when he left, she said she cried again because she liked the area and loved the people.

52 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...I think the timing may be off( but I'm probably wrong)...his wife passed in 2010.....think it was shortly after the Donohole debacle when Marv returned as GM in 2006 that Ralph offered Cowher $10 mil/yr (actually saw some of the texts between Bill and ?).....if I remember correctly, they had just relocated to NC and she refused to relocate again to Bflo....Bill chose the studio over coaching after Steelers retirement.....

The thing is... that while it was rumored by the Buffalo Bills that they would offer 10 mill per to a head coach... that was never truly offered to anybody. No way was Ralph Wilson going to pay to pay 10 million per year to a head coach. Cowher didn't take the job because that money was never offered. As I said, Shanahan was already committed to the Redskins and wanted to hear what was being offered and that much money was never offered to anybody. The wives didn't matter in this instance.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/news/story?id=4792467

When the Bills interviewed Chan Gailey for the Bills HCing job one of the reasons he was hired was because he told the owner he didn't need star players to win. 

Last point: I can guarantee you one of the things that the Bills loved was Gailey's attitude about how you can win without stars in the NFL. In fact, that's the kind of team he prefers. More than once in his career, he's told coaches he worked with: "You can win the World Series without Babe Ruth.'' In Buffalo, he's going to get that chance.

https://www.si.com/more-sports/2010/01/19/mailbag-0

Interesting story about Cowher by Vic Carucci, Looks like the Pegula's really wanted to hire "the Chin".

https://buffalonews.com/2018/09/21/one-on-one-coverage-bill-cowher-talks-coaching-flirtations-and-bills/

18 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

The thing is... that while it was rumored by the Buffalo Bills that they would offer 10 mill per to a head coach... that was never truly offered to anybody. No way was Ralph Wilson going to pay to pay 10 million per year to a head coach. Cowher didn't take the job because that money was never offered. As I said, Shanahan was already committed to the Redskins and wanted to hear what was being offered and that much money was never offered to anybody. The wives didn't matter in this instance.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/news/story?id=4792467

When the Bills interviewed Chan Gailey for the Bills HCing job one of the reasons he was hired was because he told the owner he didn't need star players to win. 

Last point: I can guarantee you one of the things that the Bills loved was Gailey's attitude about how you can win without stars in the NFL. In fact, that's the kind of team he prefers. More than once in his career, he's told coaches he worked with: "You can win the World Series without Babe Ruth.'' In Buffalo, he's going to get that chance.

https://www.si.com/more-sports/2010/01/19/mailbag-0

Interesting story about Cowher by Vic Carucci, Looks like the Pegula's really wanted to hire "the Chin".

https://buffalonews.com/2018/09/21/one-on-one-coverage-bill-cowher-talks-coaching-flirtations-and-bills/

...all I can tell you is that I physically saw the texts back and forth and 10 mil WAS the number FWIW.......over the dam old news now.....

10 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

Seems like we finally have a capable GM and HC.  Here is a question: given the terrible GM's we had, would having Payton have made a difference?  Clearly we win more games than with Jauron, but in terms of the overall picture, would our GM have let him go after Brees, etc.?  

Picking Jauron over Payton is just terrible.  Reminds me of hiring decisions that are made because someone has "put in their time," over merit.  

On the flip side, they did hire a young and upcoming hotshot in Greg Williams and we saw how he flamed out...The same goes for Doug Marrone....There is really no magic potion for this.

1 hour ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...all I can tell you is that I physically saw the texts back and forth and 10 mil WAS the number FWIW.......over the dam old news now.....

How did you see the texts?

31 minutes ago, ganesh said:

On the flip side, they did hire a young and upcoming hotshot in Greg Williams and we saw how he flamed out...The same goes for Doug Marrone....There is really no magic potion for this.

A number of factors have to be right...  Jauron was an inspiring choice and Gailey was just terrible hire.  

11 hours ago, prissythecat said:

I take it you are not married or are just newly married?  Of course, wives play an important role in job relocations.  Its not all about the money.

Dude im not married yet. The last girl i banged was a succubus but even i understand a happy wife is a happy life. And happiness isnt always remedied by money my brothers. ..

Spoken like a true broke ass *****. Lol live, love, and prosper my friends. And of course. GO BILLS!

-McFly

Also great off-season post OP. Respect my brother

18 hours ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

On his podcast which you can hear below, Tim Graham discussed 2 major coaching who almost came close to coaching in Buffalo.  I’ve never realized these names were so close to signing, and it makes you wonder what could have been.

Sean Payton

According to Mike Rodak (Graham’s co-host), Sean Payton said that he wanted to coach in Buffalo.   According to MR Payton flew into Buffalo to interview for the coaching position in 2005 with Marv Levy.  Unfortunately Marv took Dick Jauron instead.  Like most of the decisions Marv made as GM, this one was terrible.  Payton even then, was known as a great QB coach.  It really makes you wonder what he would have done with the QB position, whether he tried to make JP work or if he’d seek out a new QB like a Drew Brees etc.

Mike Shannahan 

According to Graham, Buddy Nix went on record that he has 2 big name coaches close to being signed but “couldn’t convince their wives to move to Buffalo.”  While he wouldn’t give Tim any names, TH said that Shannon went on record that he almost coached in Buffalo and speculated that Shanny was one of the names Nix alludes to.  Instead, Buddy signed an unwheming candidate Of Chan Gailey and I remember being physically sick hearing this news.  

In my opinion, this could have been Buddy trying to create the narrative of “I tried but no one would come to Buffalo.”  Also if you turn down multi-million job offers because of your wife’s preference of location (for part of the year), it makes me question how serious you were from

they start.

Either way it would be fascinating to see how things shook out under new ownership.

You can hear the discussion below at about the 20 minute mark:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/tim-graham-show/id1438471984?mt=2&i=1000429345745

i definitely would have taken Payton and Brees but im glad we coach McDermott. I believe he will be one of the great ones.

Bills were pry the more attractive landing spots than the Saints at the time considering it was right after Katrina.  I don't think we even had the cap space that offseason to sign Brees, but who knows what would've happened.

22 hours ago, matter2003 said:

If you turn down multi-million dollar jobs because your wife tells you to, you probably need to go directly to teh Testosterone Clinic and get several injections of Testosterone.

If you turn down multi-million dollar jobs because your wife tells you to ... when you're already a multimillionaire and have a very decent shot at seeing another multimillion dollar offer from someone else in the near future ... you're just fine. An ordinary guy.

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/22/2019 at 9:28 AM, BillyWhiteShows said:

Also if you turn down multi-million job offers because of your wife’s preference of location (for part of the year), it makes me question how serious you were from

they start.

Most people value quality of life over a job.  This is particularly true  when you can get the same job in multiple locations, with all paying multi-millions of dollars. You pick the one that would make yourself and your family the happiest.

Football isn't the most important thing in the world, in fact far from it.

7 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

i definitely would have taken Payton and Brees but im glad we coach McDermott. I believe he will be one of the great ones.

Spoken like a true Billiever :)

Edited by CodeMonkey
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

On 2/22/2019 at 7:07 PM, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

What texts? This was in Jan 2010!

The highest paid head coach was Mike Shanahan in Washington at 7 mill per as HC and executive vice president who signed on Jan 6th, 2010. Pete Carroll was next at 6.6 mill per as he signed a 33 million 5 year deal. Jeff Fisher was making 5.5 at Tenn, Andy Reid was making 5.5 in Philly. As I said, Shanny was already committed to the Redskins but he would listen to a deal that offered him 3 mill per year more.

Ralph Wilson was a notoriously frugal owner and there was no way he was going to pay a head coach that much money. Not three million a year over the highest paid head coach at that time. 

This whole 10 mill per was a ploy by Russ Brandon to get some big names interested and interviewed to see how they would set their staffs. That amount of money was never offered to anyone, ever, period! As it was, Gailey would have been lucky if he got 3 mill per from Wilson.  

2 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

What texts? This was in Jan 2010!

The highest paid head coach was Mike Shanahan in Washington at 7 mill per as HC and executive vice president who signed on Jan 6th, 2010. Pete Carroll was next at 6.6 mill per as he signed a 33 million 5 year deal. Jeff Fisher was making 5.5 at Tenn, Andy Reid was making 5.5 in Philly. As I said, Shanny was already committed to the Redskins but he would listen to a deal that offered him 3 mill per year more.

Ralph Wilson was a notoriously frugal owner and there was no way he was going to pay a head coach that much money. Not three million a year over the highest paid head coach at that time. 

This whole 10 mill per was a ploy by Russ Brandon to get some big names interested and interviewed to see how they would set their staffs. That amount of money was never offered to anyone, ever, period! As it was, Gailey would have been lucky if he got 3 mill per from Wilson.  

Exacty.... people make cryptic statements then don’t elaborate.  I’m skeptical about any of these claims since the Dunkirk Don fiasco

On 2/22/2019 at 9:34 AM, prissythecat said:

I take it you are not married or are just newly married?  Of course, wives play an important role in job relocations.  Its not all about the money.

very true.   Bobby Ross' wife nixed  his coming there as well.   $$ being equal, no one is choosing B lo most of the time, coaching or player.  Just the way it is.  Mention buffalo, and people immediately say 'north pole'.  I gave up defending the place 25 years ago.  It is useless.   Jimmy Griffin and the national media  buried it 40 + years ago with the handling of the blizzard of 77.   Rock Star NFL personalities are very image conscious these days and they would take a hit is they voluntarily went "to buffalo" when the same $$ was available elsewhere.