Two HUGE Coaching Names Who Almost Came to Buffalo

IIRC Payton actually interviewed for the HC job back in 2000/2001. Remember that Donahoe was the only GM to wait until after the Super Bowl to interview various assistants. Marvin Lewis was the big name, and everyone assumed that it was Lewis's job given the Pittsburgh ties to Donahoe and the great season the Ravens had on defense. But Donahoe also interviewed Jon Fox and I believe Sean Payton, who were the Giants' coordinators at the time.

Of course, we all know that Gregg got the job.

4 hours ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

Mike Shannahan 

According to Graham, Buddy Nix went on record that he has 2 big name coaches close to being signed but “couldn’t convince their wives to move to Buffalo.”  

man, that could be the topic of its own thread

6 hours ago, prissythecat said:

I take it you are not married or are just newly married?  Of course, wives play an important role in job relocations.  Its not all about the money.

That's why it's best to not have wives.  Just have GF's, if they won't move, leave them behind.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

Bill Cowher but now we know his wife was ill at the time and he was going through a lot and needed to be with family

Totally understandable. BTW, Chan Gailey was going to be Cowher's OC

...I think the timing may be off( but I'm probably wrong)...his wife passed in 2010.....think it was shortly after the Donohole debacle when Marv returned as GM in 2006 that Ralph offered Cowher $10 mil/yr (actually saw some of the texts between Bill and ?).....if I remember correctly, they had just relocated to NC and she refused to relocate again to Bflo....Bill chose the studio over coaching after Steelers retirement.....