"Reviewing what the media had to say about Buffalo Bills drafting Josh Allen"

5 hours ago, Ol Dirty B said:

You were convinced the Bills wouldn't draft Allen? Why? It was him or Darnold. How can anyone can talk like they know this team after the past few years say they thought Allen was out of the question...

I guess I don't understand the whole "Darnold" thing.  The draft was held on April 26th, and the Jets traded for the Colts' #3 slot on March 17th (if I'm reading the old headlines correctly).  This was a week after the Bills had moved up to 12, and it was the Bills' move that spooked the Jets into giving up a king's ransom.  Long story short - the Bills weren't going to get the chance to pick whomever the #2 QB was in that draft.  It just wasn't going to happen.  Could they have done back flips and traded for the #2 pick with the Giants?  Well, theoretically, yes.  But in the view of hindsight, the Giants were pretty damn happy with where they stayed (because they probably got a number of calls from other teams, and turned them all down), and they ended up pretty damn happy with Barkley (because they certainly were in a position to have grabbed Darnold, Allen, Rosen or Jackson, or any other QB except Mayfield, but didn't).  So the Giants didn't, and weren't going to, trade for what the rest of the NFL was offering, right?  That's what history shows us.

The Jets gave up a LOT to get Darnold.  A LOT.  And we'll see if that was the right move in 5-6 years.  But the Bills just weren't going to get Darnold.  That path wasn't available to them, and that path was paved in concrete as soon as the Jets traded with Indianapolis what looks to have been 5 weeks before the draft.  And I apologize if I have the dates wrong, but that's the date I'm reading on an article from last year in the Indianapolis Star.  But the point still stands.  Bills weren't going to get Darnold.  The Jets had locked that up.

13 hours ago, ndirish1978 said:

I wanted Rosen but Allen won me over.

Same! Rosen seemed like the shred of the two but glad we got our Josh! Love his attitude and guts and how seems to have fit in with our fan base! The just has the it factor , now let’s keep him upright in the pocket w a weapon or two and really see the kid play!!

All I know is 10 months later I'm extremely happy with Josh Allen. Much happier than I was on draft night.

The only other rookie QB I'd be happier with is Mayfield but still would feel Allen has the highest upside not only in the 18 class but possibly the whole league. Reaching that potential will be fun to watch and I think at the very least he takes a big time step in year 2 .

6 hours ago, Ol Dirty B said:

This thread reads like Allen has done something...

Being better than Josh Rosen is not the standard. This city, fanbase, and ownership with this small time ***** has to stop.

Exactly right. 

His passing numbers are poor across the board. 

Now, its on Beane to improve the offensive personnel this offseason. But 2019 there are no more excuses. Allen is not a rookie, the OC says that he is everything they thought he'd be, they have continuity on the Coaching Staff, they have draft picks, cap space, ownership backing and McDermott has his culture. 

It's time for the winning to start. 

12 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

So we're declaring victory on Josh Allen? 

After 52.8% completion, 10 TDs passing and 12 Ints? 

I feel like fans who keep repeating those stats didn’t watch the actual games.

I wasn’t happy about the pick, but love what I saw out if him - especially in that final stretch of games.  He clearly has that “it” factor, and skills-wise, his ceiling is off the charts.

As things stand, I think he’ll be the 2nd best QB to come out of this great class.  Could take the top spot, though.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Success said:

I feel like fans who keep repeating those stats didn’t watch the actual games.

I wasn’t happy about the pick, but love what I saw out if him - especially in that final stretch of games.  He clearly has that “it” factor, and skills-wise, his ceiling is off the charts.

As things stand, I think he’ll be the 2nd best QB to come out of this great class.  Could take the top spot, though.

Let's be honest, we're happy with his two games against Miami. A dropped pass by Clay and 5 total TDs in the final game is driving this optimism.

He was the only QB that could make anything happen on offense for the Bills, I give total credit to Allen for that. It's up to Beane to deliver him playmakers this offseason. 

But, we're out there trying to beat Brady, Roethlisberger, Luck, Watson, Mahomes, Rivers. Allen beat some non-Playoff teams, but overall this offense struggled before he got hurt (shutout in Green Bay) and after he came back (2 Ints against Jets in Week 13, team scored 12 points against NE Patriots in Week 15). 

The bar will be raised next year, and Allen, IMO, played exactly like his Scouting Reports said - occasional greatness because of his physical gifts, but erratic. 

34 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

The bar will be raised next year, and Allen, IMO, played exactly like his Scouting Reports said - occasional greatness because of his physical gifts, but erratic. 

Allen improved as the season went on. That even accumulated in him having by far his best game of the year in his final game. This thread specifically is looking at Allen vs. Rosen as it looks specifically at the immediate post draft reactions to the Bills taking Allen with Rosen still on the board and coming off just a few picks later.

The raw QB rating stats for the entire season for both Allen and Rosen are nearly identical. Allen has Rosen beat by a mere 1.2 points. But how did each do down the stretch? As teams got more film on them and as they themselves learned the game?

Answer:

Allen's stats got better in ever single meaningful statistical category except for completion percentage. YPA improved. TD:INT ratio improved. Sack % improved. Passing ypg increased. And we all know how elite he was throwing in his rushing ability.

Rosen on the other hand saw ever single statistical category decline in his final six games except for completion percentage which was nearly identical. YPA decreased. TD:INT ratio decreased. Sack % increased. Passing ypg decreased.

35 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Allen improved as the season went on. That even accumulated in him having by far his best game of the year in his final game. This thread specifically is looking at Allen vs. Rosen as it looks specifically at the immediate post draft reactions to the Bills taking Allen with Rosen still on the board and coming off just a few picks later.

The raw QB rating stats for the entire season for both Allen and Rosen are nearly identical. Allen has Rosen beat by a mere 1.2 points. But how did each do down the stretch? As teams got more film on them and as they themselves learned the game?

Answer:

Allen's stats got better in ever single meaningful statistical category except for completion percentage. YPA improved. TD:INT ratio improved. Sack % improved. Passing ypg increased. And we all know how elite he was throwing in his rushing ability.

Rosen on the other hand saw ever single statistical category decline in his final six games except for completion percentage which was nearly identical. YPA decreased. TD:INT ratio decreased. Sack % increased. Passing ypg decreased.

Thank you for the analysis and facts. The Bills offense definitively got better when Allen came back from his injury. 

A large difference between the two is Rosen gives you nothing on the ground. 

The pressure is on Beane to deliver better offensive personnel. 

Allen and this offense have to score more points to really raise the quality of wins. I don't expect this defense to hold opponents to McDermott's stated goal of 17 points a game given the depth on that unit.  

Edited by Straight Hucklebuck

14 hours ago, Michael1962 said:

Is Buffalo really that windy? I lived near there for a long time and don't remember the wind being that significant.  At least not compared with parts of Colorado.

Yes, Buffalo's stadium is that windy.  I remember back in the day....one of Namath's last seasons, the Bills beat the jests for maybe their only win of the season.   Joe Willy was throwning curve balls all day due to the 30+mph wind that day.   Curving 3-4 feet on mid range throws.  He was 3-19 or something like that.  Yes, there are those days.

• Like (+1) 1

When I was watching some of the QBs on draft breakdown none of them stood out as special to be honest.

None of them felt like they warranted very high draft picks. Trading up to 1-3 would have been my nightmare scenario. If they fell to us....sure Id take them all. 

I thought Mayfield was the most complete player. Moved around in the pocket well, made pretty good decisions with the ball and had some decent throws. No wow factor. 

Darnold....Good arm, some nice throws on the run. A lot of dumb ints. Nothing special to me.

Josh Rosen...decent..but the guy was running for his life in most of the videos I watched. So i couldnt really see what I wanted to. 

Josh Allen...I saw about 1 minute of a video saw how inaccurate a couple of those throws were. I said nope and stopped. lmao. When I heard he could be going 1. I watched his stuff. Def has the wow factor in a both positive and negative way. So I told myself this is not a guy you trade up for. If he fell, I guess i can live with it. 

Come draft day and I saw what these guys actually looked like.....Didnt want scrawny Rosen. Darnold looks like a closet pedophile. Mayfield...whatever. Allen was the only one that looked like a man. 

After its all said and done. We didnt bet the farm on a QB so I can live with that. 

Allen has been pretty exciting. So im glad hes with us.

I actually strained a muscle in my ribs shouting obscenities when the Allen pick was announced. I was dead wrong,  I just ordered a Josh Allen jersey this week. I couldn't be more excited about his future as a Bill, and wouldn't trade him for any other QB from the 2018 draft.

I got used to seeing draft picks looking disappointed upon being drafted by Buffalo, it was awesome to see a guy that happy about it.

18 hours ago, Captain_Quint said:

Same. I wanted Allen least out of the big 4, but now I'm glad we got him. I still think Mayfield is the star of the group, but Allen will be right there with him. 

Allen will be ahead of him !! ( IF ) 

1- we get OL fixed 

2- get him a REAL WR or two , and a REAL TE

just looking back at the beginning of the season and those slow pathetic WR corpses that Allen had to work with is just mind boggling , 

10 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

You crack me up, Transie, really.

You seem to think people view you as somebody who proves people wrong, in such a terrifying way that they then run away from you.

You're like one of those little yap dogs that thinks it's a German Shepherd. A little yap dog with leprosy. Not that you have leprosy, but a little yap dog with leprosy would get the living ***** beaten out of him but the disease's effects would leave him not feeling pain. So he'd leap up after the fight, say, "Hey, that doesn't hurt, I must've won, I guess I really am a German Shepherd. The dog I was fighting with has left, clearly there's no other reason for him to have left, he must be terrified.

I can't recall a single time you've proved me wrong on here. I've been wrong more than a few times, and I've learned plenty from other folks on here. Not you, though. I'm sure you've corrected me on some small factual mistakes I've made, we've had enough arguments that that must have happened and I've certainly done the same to you. But having been wrong on a major issue? Nah. Hasn't happened. I do remember a bunch of previous times when you claimed it had happened. A ton of times when you thought you'd proved how wrong I was when I said Tyrod wasn't a franchise guy. Once you thought you had corrected me when you told me there's simply no reasonable argument for thinking Josh Allen could ever succeed in the NFL. Not one when you were correct about that, though.

And no, the evidence didn't change your mind about Josh Allen. In the interval between the Bills drafting him and you having a religious conversion, he didn't throw a single ball in anger. There was no new evidence. Just time for you to say ... "oh, wait, he's the Bills new QB, let me go back and look at everything again ... understanding that he's the new possible franchise guy ... wow, my perception is totally different on this guy now that he's a Bill. Clearly I was wrong back when I looked at the same stuff not knowing he would be a Buffalo Bill. How strange I didn't see the obvious aura until he was on the roster. Now it's time for me to do the research projects I did on Tyrod that made Tyrod look so absolutely terrific to me for years."

The link you sent proves precisely that. He's drafted on the 26th and on the 30th you're already saying " I'm already growing to really like Allen because I'm a Bills fan and am purely a fan of my team ..."

Exactly. And you throw up a few PR videos that you can say you used as a trigger. But none of those would convince a guy who felt that  it was the simple factual truth that his college completion percentages ruled out pro success. And that was you. Yeah, you found a few things that would support your view. None of which had much to do with completion percentage. You'd already heard and in your opinion ruled out the possibility that he might be successful. What changed that? A video on his upbringing in Firebaugh? Would that have convinced you if it had been the Cards who'd drafted him? Puh-leeze.

The little switch in your brain, the one I might call the Tyrod switch, had been flipped when the Bills drafted him.

Oh....

my...

God...

Simon-Cowell-Blink.gif

Ummm... yeah.

Clearly you know what my thoughts are better than I do.  And clearly you know what my thoughts were at the time we drafted Allen better than I do.

Clearly you need the last word, even if it's a long winded post with more holes than swiss cheese.

I'll let that be the last word on this.

but...

It's just such a shame you're haughtiness is blinding you so much you legitimately can't recall one time--out of the several there were--that I proved you wrong, and then you ran away never to be seen in that discussion again.

To compare Allen and Rosen, consider this -- the Cardinals are talking about taking another QB at #1 overall this year.  If they do that, I assume they'll trade Rosen and get good value.  But if the Bills were drafting #1, do you think they'd dump Allen at this point and move on?  I sure don't. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, Utah John said:

To compare Allen and Rosen, consider this -- the Cardinals are talking about taking another QB at #1 overall this year.  If they do that, I assume they'll trade Rosen and get good value.  But if the Bills were drafting #1, do you think they'd dump Allen at this point and move on?  I sure don't. 

I can't see any team giving up a first rounder for Rosen after having seen him play in the NFL. Maybe a team like the Giants would pony up a 2nd.

10 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

His 40 yard dash wasn't anything special either.  It was slower than Trubisky's which I saw as having similar scrambling abilities.

Exactly. There was very little to no indication that he'd be able to accumulate the kind of rushing yards he did in 2019.