"Reviewing what the media had to say about Buffalo Bills drafting Josh Allen"

An article from Buffalo Rumblings... I'll post some gems  :lol:

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2019/2/21/18228390/reviewing-what-the-media-had-to-say-about-buffalo-bills-drafting-qb-josh-allen-josh-rosen-2018

The media commentary was a mixed bag, with most feeling Buffalo should have drafted another Josh: Rosen.

By John Boccacino  Feb 21, 2019, 11:00am EST

Mike Rodak, of ESPN had the following to say:

“Josh Rosen (drafted 10th by the Arizona Cardinals) was the undeniably safer choice, considered pro-ready and a natural pocket passer. Allen was the wild card whose off-the-charts arm strength gave him a higher ceiling than Rosen but whose 56 percent completion rate in college served as his scarlet letter throughout the pre-draft process.”

(General manager Brandon Beane) “rolled the dice on Allen, unleashing a firestorm of social media criticism from a segment of the fan base that seemed both exhausted with first-round busts at quarterback and eager for Beane to turn his myriad trades since last year into tangible hope for a brighter future,” Rodak continued.

From Jerry Sullivan, of The Buffalo News:

“I would have preferred Rosen, who is a more polished passer but has had injury and concussions issues, plus a reputation for cockiness. ... Allen comes with a lot of accuracy issues. Of the first seven picks, he was the first one whose shortcomings were emphasized by the TV commentators. It’ll take time to find out if Beane hit the jackpot in his first draft. It didn’t cost the Bills a lot. They didn’t have to give the 22nd overall pick or next year’s. But if Allen doesn’t pan out, will saving all the draft capital be worth it?”

Sal Maiorana, of the Democrat & Chronicle wasn’t shy when sharing his initial thoughts:

“It seemed like Rosen should have been the pick because he was considered the most pro-ready of the top four quarterbacks in the draft, and certainly more advanced than Allen, but the Bills thought otherwise. ... there’s some bad draft history that hangs over this franchise, particularly at quarterback, and this pick has a chance to crank it up a little higher on the old misery meter.”

Barrett Sallee from CBS Sports was less-than-impressed with the pick.

Andy Benoit. SI.com

“The Bills traded up with the Buccaneers and then rolled the dice. UCLA’s Josh Rosen is the most pro-ready QB in this draft, by far. Allen, however, has the upside. His arm strength might be the best ever (certainly enough to cut through the notorious Buffalo wind), and his mobility is outstanding. That’s the part that gets overlooked. Wyoming called designed runs for Allen, much like Sean McDermott’s former Panthers team did for Cam Newton. Having a QB in your ground game skews the geometry and box count numbers for the defense, and it can be a tremendous offensive advantage. And notably, Allen is a better on-the-move thrower than Newton. Though like Newton, overall, he’s not a consistent ball placer. The Bills hope that can improve, but privately, they’ve almost certainly decided they can live with some bouts of inaccuracy. It’s an intriguing pick, but still a gamble, especially when factoring in the extra picks they gave up.”

Yahoo! Sports

“Allen has all the physical skill in the world. You’re still gambling on a guy who wasn’t first- or second-team all-Mountain West last season. That’s a big risk, especially moving up.” 
- Frank Schwab

“Taking Josh Allen over Josh Rosen is going to haunt the Bills for years.” 
- Nick Bromberg

“Wow, the Bills gave up a haul to take a QB with accuracy problems.” 
- Jason Owens

• Thank you (+1) 1

...LMAO.....gotta love the all knowing "urinalists yellowing the landscape" Bflo anti-style......OUR JOSH: a gamer.....of the no guts no glory...no bawls no blue chips mentality"......THEIR JOSH: a whiny putz concerned about where he was taken first and foremost.....saddled with low estrogen levels...........

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Just now, Bangarang said:

What’s the point of this? It’s only been one up and down year from pretty much every QB prospect. There’s a lot to be excited for but a thread like seems premature no?

Its the offseason and at least its some relief from Mock drafts..

• Like (+1) 8
  • Haha (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Andy Benoit had the most accurate prediction. 

Yup.  I overlooked his athletic ability as well.  He's exactly the passer I thought he'd be with some "wow" throws and some "wtf" throws.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Yup.  I overlooked his athletic ability as well.  He's exactly the passer I thought he'd be with some "wow" throws and some "wtf" throws.

To be fair, he only had 202 yards rushing his last season at Wyoming. Now I know college rushing stats include sacks, but I don't see how anyone could have predicted his elite mobility at the NFL level.

I was one that wanted Rosen.  I think the Bills made the right choice in Allen.  He's shown some really great ability and I saw the guy get better as the season went on.  Hopefully he makes more strides going into next season.  Bottom line.  1 season is too early to predict anything.  Allen could still bust and Rosen could turn into the next Brady.  

Edited by DallasMac
  • Like (+1) 6

18 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

Interesting to revisit...

Lets be honest though - a lot of us thought the same at the time...

I think it’s interesting that there were some media reports the day after the draft  that the Cardinals wanted Allen over Rosen as well... 

If we picked 2nd overall I wanted Allen.  People think just because these people have media cards that they know what they are talking about.

**** the media!!!

Edited by formerlyofCtown
  • Like (+1) 2

It’s too soon to know anything. I would have gone the other way, but what the heck do I know? I sure like the looks of what we’ve seen so far. Pleasantly surprised, but a long way to go. Fingers crossed. Keep making progress, because it’s not an overnight thing. 

• Like (+1) 2

Yeah, we're really not going to have a difinitive answer for 2-4 years from now. I liked the second half of his rookie year, but there's a long way to go. Let's revisit this in two years - it will be a great conversation! Here's hoping Bills brothers and sisters!

Edited by todd