Report: Bills interested in UFA TE Jesse James

YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

I completely disagree. One of Allen's best throws is the seam and he can hit curl routes in the middle of the field as well as anyone. A top flight TE woiuld be huge for us.

I guess that we will agree to disagree. I know Clay wasn’t very good last year but his production fell off a cliff. I don’t think a TE is that important with Allen. I’d still like one but would rather spend the same money on John Brown if you had to pick one or the other.

1 hour ago, dwight in philly said:

WOW! Joe Walsh! if you partied with Joe  Walsh , it doesnt get any better! That Man , at least back in those days was was synonymous with "Party" 

He was very nice, and wasted ha. Went on stage with an inspection ready, set of Marine Cammies- cover and all cuz he was outside- other Marines would understand. That day he was annointed a Marine for a day ?

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Turk71 said:

Joe Walsh played the free Woodstock anniversary show in 94 at Yasgurs Farm. It was warm and raining, Joe played til around 3 in the morning while I stood in front of the stage sunk halfway to my knees in the cow pasture. He kept tossing me Iron City beers from the stage whenever I asked?. Every once in a while he looked out at the crowd and said: "it was just like this"! What a funny, super talented, goodnatured guy ; when it was over and I tried to leave my shoes came off and are buried at Yasgurs farm to this day. 

Wow! What a great memory to have!!! He is amazing live and yeah, just a super down to earth guy! Alot dont know, but he gave the Eagles their edge when they moved away from Southern Rock i.e. Hotel California, Life in the Fast Lane etc....

1 minute ago, dwight in philly said:

Not sure about the status of the other members of the James Gang... but a reunion of sorts would not be too bad! 

I would so be there! 

3 minutes ago, ExWNYer said:

He should have let you drive it...life's been good to him so far.

If I smashed it, his accountants would pay for it all!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, dwight in philly said:

Not sure about the status of the other members of the James Gang... but a reunion of sorts would not be too bad! 

Given the title and subject of this thread, this is a clever and topically appropriate response. Nice job, sir. ? ?

4 minutes ago, billsfan_34 said:

If I smashed it, his accountants would pay for it all!

:beer:

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

2 hours ago, HappyDays said:

I completely disagree. One of Allen's best throws is the seam and he can hit curl routes in the middle of the field as well as anyone. A top flight TE woiuld be huge for us.

You're correct about this.  And the Bill's are moving from big play to more of a ball control offense. TE Sean and curl routes are important to ball control. 

19 minutes ago, quinnearlysghost88 said:

Am i missing something with this guy? 25th ranked TE. not even the best TE on Pit. 

Nope. Steeler fans are happy to see him go. They weren’t even happy with James as their back up. 

Then we have bills fans clamoring from him. Not an upgrade over Clay. Not an upgrade over Croom. 

Guy is an average back up. Not an average starter !

wake up people 

This is why the bills suck every year. We have fans applauding the potential interest in James. Let’s settle for some more mediocrity. 

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

You're correct about this.  And the Bill's are moving from big play to more of a ball control offense. TE Sean and curl routes are important to ball control. 

I don’t see how (or why) they’d move to a more ball controlled offense? That’s not who Allen is. That’s Alex Smith. Allen is a guy that makes big plays and throws with a lot of air yards. I don’t see the Bills throwing a lot of curls. They try to pick up chunks at a time. I haven’t read anywhere that they plan to change that and would be surprised to see if I did.

2 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I don’t see how (or why) they’d move to a more ball controlled offense? That’s not who Allen is. That’s Alex Smith. Allen is a guy that makes big plays and throws with a lot of air yards. I don’t see the Bills throwing a lot of curls. They try to pick up chunks at a time. I haven’t read anywhere that they plan to change that and would be surprised to see if I did.

They actually moved away from a ball controlled offense as the season went on. So many QBs to adjust to throughout the season but once Allen was back for the duration, Daboll basically said ***** it and just played to his strengths. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

They actually moved away from a ball controlled offense as the season went on. So many QBs to adjust to throughout the season but once Allen was back for the duration, Daboll basically said ***** it and just played to his strengths. 

Other than throwing deep, which we can't do on every play, I think Allen's best area of the field is the intermediate middle of the field. Like those dig routes to Foster. He seems confident throwing into the middle and the arm allows him to get it there. 

We don't have anyone who really excels in the middle though. The best we have is Zay Jones who is a JAG and unreliable. Someone who can really flourish in the middle of the field I think would help Josh out a ton and stress the defense, helping to open up the deep stuff.

• Like (+1) 1

As someone who lives in Pittsburgh, James is the real deal.  Great all-around TE.  Was great at PSU also.  Can perform all TE functions at an above-average level.  Has great hands and will help with the intermediate routes.  Can block well. 

And will fit in with the Bills, as someone who got screwed by the refs against the Pats****.  

1 hour ago, QBorBust2018 said:

Nope. Steeler fans are happy to see him go. They weren’t even happy with James as their back up.  

Then we have bills fans clamoring from him. Not an upgrade over Clay. Not an upgrade over Croom. 

Guy is an average back up. Not an average starter !

wake up people 

This is why the bills suck every year. We have fans applauding the potential interest in James. Let’s settle for some more mediocrity. 

I'm not sure what, if any, Steeler fans are happy for him to go??? 

The Steelers are going to miss his all-around ability.  He filled-in after Heath Miller retired.  Their other TE is a pure pass catcher. 

James is a huge upgrade over Clay and Croom.  A combo of James and Croom is a legit combo.  Also allows us to draft a TE in round 3 (since it's a deep TE draft). 

45 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Well, I don't know how McD would characterize it, because I agree that this offense seemed to be evolving to an offense that could get chunk yards.   But the message has been very clear that Allen needs to stop being so aggressively after those plays when a very high percentage short-throw is available.   Call it checking down or whatever, that's what they want more of from Allen   

They want it, I think, NOT because they want to go all west coast on anyone and win with what's a disguised running game.  They want it because when they take the high percentage check down regularly and effectively, it draws the defense in and the mid and long range passing game opens up.   It's not ball control in the sense that we want to hold on to the ball and keep the score low.   It's ball control so we can keep it and score whenever and wherever the opportunity occurs.  

I'm convinced the Bills want a high percentage of POSITIVE PLAYS than we saw last year.   They don't want any plays that go for zero yards or less, and incomplete passes do that.   I think McDermott's philosophy is to make the throw that has a 90% chance of being completed for five instead of the throw that has a 50% chance of gaining 30.  

I'll be amazed if Allen's completion percentage doesn't go into the low 60s next season.  It will happen because he'll check down more often.  I think of that as ball control.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I guess that we will agree to disagree. I know Clay wasn’t very good last year but his production fell off a cliff. I don’t think a TE is that important with Allen. I’d still like one but would rather spend the same money on John Brown if you had to pick one or the other.

I think a TE like James is important because he can be counted upon to block and make the short, 5-15 yard plays that move the chains on a consistent basis.  We don't have anyone who can do that.   Also, I want John Brown.  Him and Foster would be an amazing combo.  Get both!!

• Like (+1) 2

23 hours ago, BeefCurtns said:

I'm your huckleberry.

Beef- One if my favorite movies.  “Play for blood” “I was just kiddin”, “I wasn’t”. Alright Longer. “ C’mon.

Good call.  I’d rather not get this guy.  I would much rather grab two O Lineman, preferably Saffold and Paradis, and two WR, in Tate, and either Funches, or J Brown.  Then draft Jonah Williams at 9 and even if we have to bundle a 2 nd and 3rd, get the Iowa TE.

Now that is one helluva off-season, and BPA after in the draft.

• Like (+1) 1