Report: Bills interested in UFA TE Jesse James

YoloinOhio

15 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

James is fine but he’s just a guy. Anyone that thinks this will be different from the other “guys” that we have had filling the position is mistaken. It’s a decent addition because we need 2 TEs. Adding James makes the Bills a little less desperate but TE is still a need.

Kirby, I’m curious: do you think his lack of production was due to him being TE2 or due to lack of ability/still growing in the role?

He seems like a solid contributor at first glance. 

1 minute ago, gonzo1105 said:

As a # 2 it’s a good pickup, as a # 1 it’s meh. I expect him to get 4-6 mill a year just because of the expanding cap 

Possibly more - its a lousy TE market.  Eifert who's always banged up, Jared Cook whos 32 etc.  

Eifert's injury history:

2014 - Dislocated elbow, missed pretty much the whole year

2015 - pinched nerve, missed 2 games - made pro bowl and injured his ankle in the pro bowl

2016 - Missed first 8 games with the ankle injury from the pro bowl - finished year on IR with a back injury (team was out of the playoffs)

2017 - Had a 2nd back surgery and missed pretty much the whole year, also had a cyst removed from his knee.  

2018 - Broke his ankle in week 4 and missed the rest of the year

He's played 6 games in the last 2 years and 14 total in the last 3.  I don't know how you can trust this guy at all... 

4 minutes ago, TroutDog said:

Kirby, I’m curious: do you think his lack of production was due to him being TE2 or due to lack of ability/still growing in the role?

He's never been a particularly strong blocker - hence them moving to add Vance McDonald.  His scouting report makes it seem like he hasn't taken that next step - still struggles to shake man coverage, isn't polished yet.  He's only what 25?  So i guess there's the possibility of some improvement.

2 hours ago, Kmart128 said:

Lol at people calling James a decent backup TE. There are 32 starting TEs in the NFL. By saying he is a decent backup is like saying he is not in the top 32 TEs. He is obviously not elite or great. But I'd put Jesse in the 15th-20th range which is definetly a decent starter

I wouldn't put him that high but we could quibble about that all day. Either way he just doesn't offer anything special to an offense. Our offense is in need of players that can make plays happen all on their own. The only 2 players on our offense that can do that right now are Allen and Foster. The only other player I feel comfortable with as a definite starter is Dawkins. Besides those 3 the entire offense needs to be revamped. Jesse James doesn't revamp the TE position. He's probably a high end 2nd option but we shouldn't be settling for that when the rest of our offense is so lackluster.

39 minutes ago, billsfan_34 said:

A little of both! I actually partied with Joe Walsh when I was stationed at Camp LeJeune back in the early 90s. He played on base and rocked the place!!!

WOW! Joe Walsh! if you partied with Joe  Walsh , it doesnt get any better! That Man , at least back in those days was was synonymous with "Party" 

2 hours ago, TroutDog said:

I think that his production is kind of who he is. He’s a guy that can catch 40 or so balls for 500 yards and 4 TDs. He saw more targets before McDonald got there but largely had similar production. If anything he may be improving and it helps him to have someone else. James is a solid TE and would instantly be the best on the Bills roster. That’s more a function of the Bills roster though than of James.

FWIW, I’m not sure that a TE is ever going to be a huge weapon for Josh Allen. TEs, imo, are most effective in ball control offenses. The Bills offense isn’t that. It’s a big play offense. Allen is never going to be a 70% completion guy. He has too many air yards for that. I would much, much, much, much, much rather add speed receivers than a large TE. Ideally, though you can add both. 

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I feel bad for many of you on this board trying to rationalize Jesse James being a capable or even a capable stopgap starter. 

Guy is awful!

glad I came back here for some entertainment 

Watching this awful team over the years really wearing some of you down mentally. You’ve accepted mediocrity. That’s great 

let’s all buckle up and enjoy Jesse James and another 6-10 season. 

Major failure if this guy is more than a backup. Same old incompetent bills bringing losers from Pittsburgh in. 

Let’s bring back Doug Whaley while we are at it 

14 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

FWIW, I’m not sure that a TE is ever going to be a huge weapon for Josh Allen. TEs, imo, are most effective in ball control offenses.

I completely disagree. One of Allen's best throws is the seam and he can hit curl routes in the middle of the field as well as anyone. A top flight TE woiuld be huge for us.

• Like (+1) 2

Meh. James would be nice as a backup to whoever the Bills draft as their starter.

He’s not a JAG but he’s also nothing to write home about.

And I haven’t said write home about in a few years, so since I’m feeling saucy today, I decided to live my life.

2 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

He’s 36th in receptions per game and 26th in yards per game amongst TEs. This is in a pass happy offense with a HOF QB. He’s tied with 13 other TEs for 31st in TDs (2). That’s not a decent starter IMO.

With that being said, he’d be a good add on a team that needs guys at the position. He is an upgrade over Croom or O’Leary or Thomas or Khari Lee. That’s where he slots in though. He isn’t a good starter. He’s a good 2nd option.

You do realize that as a TE you have to block as well. And with JuJu and Brown both on the Steelers it's easy to see why he didn't get as many receptions. 

41 minutes ago, QBorBust2018 said:

I feel bad for many of you on this board trying to rationalize Jesse James being a capable or even a capable stopgap starter. 

Guy is awful!

Watching this awful team over the years really wearing some of you down mentally. You’ve accepted mediocrity. That’s great 

Major failure if this guy is more than a backup. Same old incompetent bills bringing losers from Pittsburgh in. 

Sir, this is a Denny’s

• Haha (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, QBorBust2018 said:

Guy is awful!

You ever run into a poster named straight hucklebuck?  You may have the same parents. 

Write the man a Check, only one TE on Roster and he would already be better then Croom.

8 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Would be an upgrade.  I see Beane using FAs to upgrade positions with solid guys, and look for his stars in the draft.

Sign FA's that can start and also be a mentor to the players drafted. Veteran leadership players. I would like to sign Randal Cobb also to help teach, Foster and Jones something.

7 minutes ago, Tatonka68 said:

Write the man a Check, only one TE on Roster and he would already be better then Croom.

Sign FA's that can start and also be a mentor to the players drafted. Veteran leadership players. I would like to sign Randal Cobb also to help teach, Foster and Jones something.

Not a bad idea.  

2 hours ago, billsfan_34 said:

A little of both! I actually partied with Joe Walsh when I was stationed at Camp LeJeune back in the early 90s. He played on base and rocked the place!!!

Joe Walsh played the free Woodstock anniversary show in 94 at Yasgurs Farm. It was warm and raining, Joe played til around 3 in the morning while I stood in front of the stage sunk halfway to my knees in the cow pasture. He kept tossing me Iron City beers from the stage whenever I asked?. Every once in a while he looked out at the crowd and said: "it was just like this"! What a funny, super talented, goodnatured guy ; when it was over and I tried to leave my shoes came off and are buried at Yasgurs farm to this day.