Report: Bills interested in UFA TE Jesse James

YoloinOhio

2 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Makes sense as a stopgap. Joe Marino talked about him on the locked on Bills podcast the other day and said he's not particularly athletic, but he's reliable and wouldĀ definitelyĀ be an improvement. I expect us to draft a TE on day 1 or 2 regardless.

Yes totally agree as there's some good one's in this draft!Ā  Noah Fant I have him #1 overall but needs work on his run blocking.

33 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

And a PED suspension so he has an ā€œinā€ with McBeane, but why isnā€™t baltimore going to keep him?

They drafted 2 last year, 1st and 3rd rnds. Andrews is good and all three of their remaining tes are on rookie deals.

I really wish we would actually go out and try and get the best TE in the draft. Even if it means in round1. The Bills just never have a truly excellent TE and this guy isnā€™t anywhere near that. Heā€™s okay. Just once I wish the Bills had an elite playmaker at TE and didnā€™t settle for just a C+-B player.Ā 

3 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

There aren't "elite" TEs in this class though by all accounts. There are 3 who are purported to be quite good in Hockenson, Fant and Smith, but no one is calling them the next Gronk.Ā 

Ā 

Yet manyĀ wantĀ us to overpay for one in free agency and draft one way too high.Ā Ā 

Jesse James is clearly a back up tight end. The guy looks like he has the 40 time of an offensive lineman. I live in Pittsburgh and watch the Steelers games every week while streaming the bills. Jesse James was given every opportunity to beat out Vance Mcdonald and couldnā€™t even do that. Guy is not athletic whatsoever.Ā 

Ā 

He is a poor mans scott chandler.Ā 

I would rather have Max Williams from Baltimore as a back up. Jesse James is awfulĀ 

2 minutes ago, White Linen said:

Ā 

Yet manyĀ wantĀ us to overpay for one in free agency and draft one way too high.Ā Ā 

Are you referring to the reportedĀ interest in James for anĀ  unspecified amount or to someone else?

Ā 

2 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

Nobody called Gronk the next Gronk.

Your point being we just ignore more important positions and draft one of them in the event that one of them turns out to be a HOF player? That could apply to any decent player at any position.

2 hours ago, CommonCents said:

Iā€™d be fine with that. TE is overvalued, itā€™s a complimentary piece in todayā€™s game. You can run rub routes and check down to slot WRs all day long if thatā€™s what you like doing.Ā 

Ā 

NE, PHI, and KC are three of the league's best offense. Each of them have an elite pass catching TE. Ā 

Ā 

The NFL is all about creating personnel mismatches and TE is not "overvalued." Ā In fact, I'd say they're undervalued given how a good one forces a defense to cover them.Ā 

Ā 

4 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

There aren't "elite" TEs in this class though by all accounts. There are 3 who are purported to be quite good in Hockenson, Fant and Smith, but no one is calling them the next Gronk.Ā 

Ā 

I'm not sure how you can predict future careers of 21-22 year old athletes.Ā 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ndirish1978 said:

Are you referring to the reportedĀ interest in James for anĀ  unspecified amount or to someone else?

Ā 

Your point being we just ignore more important positions and draft one of them in the event that one of them turns out to be a HOF player? That could apply to any decent player at any position.

The real pros are the teamĀ scouts and they keep their mouths shut. Ā Remember Glenn was never going to be anything more than a guard according to the GM that then drafted him to play LT.

5 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

I'm not sure how you can predict future careers of 21-22 year old athletes.Ā 

Ā 

The draft is a crapshoot. The best you can do is to scout as best you can and minimize risk when making a pick. If the general consensus is that a player is quite goodĀ but not elite, then it's up to the FO to make the call on whether to take a chance on a player, but we as fans don't have that information and I don't see it being logical to push a player's value higher than what pros think simply because we want someone at that position. I don't want to keep talking about drafting players in a thread about James though. You can DM me if you want to discuss it and I'd be happy to respond. I like James and would like him on the team if we don't grossly overpay him.Ā 

Edited by ndirish1978
  • Like (+1) 1