Patriots have 2nd easiest 2019 schedule

Inigo Montoya

No point in complaining.  It is a rotation after all.  The thing is, it's all based on team strength in 2018.  2019 is a different year.  The strength of some teams will carry over from one year to the next, but some teams that were excellent in 2018 will stink in 2019, and a few go the other way too.  Lists like this vary by only a few percentage points or less from one team to the next, so the actual schedule may turn out to be  a fair amount tougher than last season's results suggest.

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I really like our games for 2019. I know a lot can change between now and September but I can see a couple of routes to double digit wins. Will be interested to see how the schedule comes out.

i didn't see which were home and away, but now i like it even better. this could be the year we at least get to the divisional round. every team (except one) is beatable...

wash.   qb?  who knows?...but even if they get a good vet and/or rookie, they need a miracle(s).

balt.   defend jackson / get turnovers  winnable

cincy   new coach  qb competition? loss of key free agents?

titans   could very well take a step back this year

steelers   normally count this as a loss but the loss of bell and brown causing chaos...

giants...beatable

@ cowboys  maybe not, but if it's later in the year who knows...

and of course we should win out at home ( except one)

i'm likin it!

SOS is based on prior year's win loss ratio and, with time-series parity the norm for non-Patriots NFL, SOS does not mean much at this time. Bills and Jets should be better and Miami worse this coming season. Certainly hope Bills will win at least one vs. Pats this season.

This is the key phrase

“The one thing about strength of schedule is that there’s no perfect way to measure schedule difficulty before the season,” according to CBS Sports. “Between injuries, free agency and the draft, a lot can chance between now and the start of the season in September. ”

5 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

http://www.realclearlife.com/sports/super-bowl-champ-patriots-have-nfls-second-easiest-schedule-in-2019/

Thanks to the strength of their 2019 schedule, the road for the Patriots to advance to their third straight Super Bowl is going to be an easy one.

Based on strength of schedule rankings for each team, only the Washington Redskins have an easier path in 2019 than the Patriots.

The rankings are done by determining the combined winning percentage of a team’s 16 upcoming opponents based on their record from the previous year.

Inconceivable!!!

Sorry, Inigo, and I may be wrong, but wouldn't it be their fourth straight Super Bowl?

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Chicken Boo said:

I've never understood this "easiest schedule" thing.

There's a literal formula for what teams play who from season to season.

Right, only 2 games can possibly vary from being known years in advance, and those aren't "chosen," they're dictated by your standings finish. Which hurts the Pats way more than any other AFCE team. 

Edited by arcane

4 hours ago, Buffalo30 said:

The Chicago Bears were 12-4 last season.  Did anyone have them at that record before the season started? Who had the Jags going 5-11? The schedule means nothing. Show up to play every week and be the better team.  

SOS based on the prior year may not be relevant.  

However  -   the schedule still remains the same.

While some teams go up, others go down.  It has a way of balancing itself out .

2 hours ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Sorry, Inigo, and I may be wrong, but wouldn't it be their fourth straight Super Bowl?

read it again.

its poor writing by the author   (not the OP) 

the road for the Patriots to advance to their third straight Super Bowl was because of a soft 2018 schedule

(because of the 2018)  2019 is going to be an easy one too.

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

http://www.realclearlife.com/sports/super-bowl-champ-patriots-have-nfls-second-easiest-schedule-in-2019/

Thanks to the strength of their 2019 schedule, the road for the Patriots to advance to their third straight Super Bowl is going to be an easy one.

Based on strength of schedule rankings for each team, only the Washington Redskins have an easier path in 2019 than the Patriots.

The rankings are done by determining the combined winning percentage of a team’s 16 upcoming opponents based on their record from the previous year.

Inconceivable!!!

Of course- they play in a soft division drew a soft nfc east AND they don’t have to play the Superbowl champs. 

4 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

SOS based on the prior year may not be relevant.  

However  -   the schedule still remains the same.

While some teams go up, others go down.  It has a way of balancing itself out .

read it again.

its poor writing by the author   (not the OP) 

the road for the Patriots to advance to their third straight Super Bowl was because of a soft 2018 schedule

(because of the 2018)  2019 is going to be an easy one too.

@Inigo Montoya

Shady corrected me, Inigo.  My bad.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Your Brown Eye said:

Helps when you play in the AFC Least were the combined record of the other 3 teams were 17 -31.  But hey let's pretend it's it conspiracy.

Let's also pretend that the Pats are only beating up on the AFC "Least", not the rest of the league... ?

• Like (+1) 1

No surprises here. The best teams are going to have easier schedules since they can’t play themselves and they all have fixed opponents that are common to their division and conference. As I have stated before I believe teams should have to play the same schedule. Each AFC team should play all the other AFC teams and likewise in the NFC. This way we get a much clearer picture of who the real players are. Strong teams in weak divisions wouldn’t be able to pad their record as easily, garnering home field advantage and other perks, especially first round byes in the playoffs, which as we saw this last season are extremely beneficial. 

We will never see this because the league likes to play favorites.  The bye generally benefits the Patriots going into and coming out of those intermissions. Thursday night games are generally a farce. Stat aficionados can probably support this argument, but I would posit that the home team has a distinct edge in the mid week games. I am sure someone will point out how wrong I am but other than opening night has NE ever played on the road on a short week? The NFL is a good ole boys club who adhere to the victor goes the spoils mentality. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

All we have to do is get Edmunds and Hughes to break Brady's spine with a 'sack from the Gods' and all of a sudden, the Paytoilet's schedule becomes the toughest one of 2019.

Paytoilets has to be one of the worst insults around

Ever since the realignment the schedules are fixed.  Each division plays an entire AFC division and NFC division.  That's eight games.  You play six games against divisional rivals.  That brings it to fourteen games.  A team's remaining two games are against the teams that finished in the same place in the two other divisions in your conference you're not playing.  The AFC and NFC divisions you play rotate year to year, and the home team flips.  Last season, Buffalo played in Green Bay.  Four years prior, we hosted them, four years from now we'll host them again.

No conspiracy at all.  The entire schedule is dictated by a formula.

Edited by The Red King

15 hours ago, Elite Poster said:

The strength of schedule is never the same as how it looks in the off-season. Last year's BRUTAL Bills schedule ended up being not bad at all. 

I never understood why anyone thought it was brutal to begin with. I was preaching that it was a pretty average or even an easy schedule.

21 minutes ago, Chicharito said:

Doesn’t matter! 2019 is the passing of the torch season. We will win the division and the pats will make the playoffs but be eliminated early. Mark my words it’s happening!

I'll mark them with a red pen.