USA Today's 4-Round Mock - I'd be Thrilled

BigDingus

4 hours ago, Elite Poster said:

Not paying Richie was idiotic. Opened a hole when they did not have to undercut him. Bodine and Groy as your centers when you had 7 months to prepare for Wood leaving? What a mess. How in the world do you have a 2 year PLANNED set of moves to get a franchise QB and go backwards with OL the entire time.

Richie retired because he was upset about the money and stayed out of the league because he went fully nuts. If we had paid him, we'd just be out more money.

8 hours ago, BigDingus said:

https://draftwire.usatoday.com/2019/02/19/2019-nfl-mock-draft-4-rounds-trades-combine-dwayne-haskins-kyler-murray-drew-lock-quinnen-williams-nick-bosa/

Round 1:

14. Buffalo Bills (from ATL)* | D.K. Metcalf | WR | Ole Miss

Another team that moves back and still lands the player they likely would have picked at their original spot, the Bills get a huge win with this scenario. Adding extra picks and still getting the most complete pass-catcher in this draft would be a great start to a draft that has to be about building around Josh Allen.

Round 2: 

40. Buffalo Bills | Garrett Bradbury | OL | North Carolina State

45. Buffalo Bills (from ATL)* | Andre Dillard | OT | Washington State 

Round 3:

74. Buffalo Bills | Devin Singletary | RB | FAU

Round 4:

105. Buffalo Bills | Montre Hartage | CB | Northwestern

110. Buffalo Bills (from ATL)* | Emanuel Hall | WR | Missouri

124. Buffalo Bills (from KC) | Renell Wren | DL | Arizona State

If the Bills traded back to acquire another 2nd & 4th round pick, then ended up drafting a WR & 2 x O-linemen with their first 3 picks, I'd be overjoyed. Unfortunately, it'd be far more Bills-like to go defense yet again, or use another first round pick on a RB. A man can dream though, and taking the offense seriously, especially O-line, would bring a smile to my face.

Not quite sold on D.K. Metcalf though. The guy definitely fits the athletic "freak" moniker that's so easily thrown around, I mean just look at him - https://247sports.com/Article/Dk-Metcalf-NFL-Draft-muscle-photo-viral--128993072/  (yes, he's the guy on the left!), but he only played in 7 games last year & is relatively inexperienced being a sophomore. Scouts think he's got too much upside though, so who knows. 

I think depending on who is gone i would want to take the best O line player available with the first pick, I know they say not to draft for need but the BPA that may be the scenario but i would hope to get either the O lineman from Bama or the one from the Gators if they are still there simply because then you could have a guy to stick with Josh for a long while ...

Because if he is running like he had to last year he can't really develop as a passer & there is a bigger possibility of him getting hurt while doing so .

And to your comment on being "far more Bills Like" i think those days are behind us this regime unlike many others from the past seem to have a good plan in place & have implemented it as we can see because of the amount of cap space there is so i hope as i said those days are behind us !!  

3 hours ago, GreggTX said:

I'll be shocked if they draft a CB in the 1st or 2nd round. PFF gave Levi Wallace the highest grade of any rookie CB in 2018, including the 1st round picks. I bet Daboll had something to do with that.

I'm not saying they will draft a DB, but saying that PFF gave him a high grade is not a good argument for where and why the front office and coaching staff will take a DB.  PFF, I'd wager, is irrelevant in talent evaluation.  PFF has specific things they look for in grading players, which more than likely is not the same thing that scouts and GM's are looking at.

9 hours ago, BigDingus said:

https://draftwire.usatoday.com/2019/02/19/2019-nfl-mock-draft-4-rounds-trades-combine-dwayne-haskins-kyler-murray-drew-lock-quinnen-williams-nick-bosa/

Round 1:

14. Buffalo Bills (from ATL)* | D.K. Metcalf | WR | Ole Miss

Another team that moves back and still lands the player they likely would have picked at their original spot, the Bills get a huge win with this scenario. Adding extra picks and still getting the most complete pass-catcher in this draft would be a great start to a draft that has to be about building around Josh Allen.

Round 2: 

40. Buffalo Bills | Garrett Bradbury | OL | North Carolina State

45. Buffalo Bills (from ATL)* | Andre Dillard | OT | Washington State 

Round 3:

74. Buffalo Bills | Devin Singletary | RB | FAU

Round 4:

105. Buffalo Bills | Montre Hartage | CB | Northwestern

110. Buffalo Bills (from ATL)* | Emanuel Hall | WR | Missouri

124. Buffalo Bills (from KC) | Renell Wren | DL | Arizona State

If the Bills traded back to acquire another 2nd & 4th round pick, then ended up drafting a WR & 2 x O-linemen with their first 3 picks, I'd be overjoyed. Unfortunately, it'd be far more Bills-like to go defense yet again, or use another first round pick on a RB. A man can dream though, and taking the offense seriously, especially O-line, would bring a smile to my face.

Not quite sold on D.K. Metcalf though. The guy definitely fits the athletic "freak" moniker that's so easily thrown around, I mean just look at him - https://247sports.com/Article/Dk-Metcalf-NFL-Draft-muscle-photo-viral--128993072/  (yes, he's the guy on the left!), but he only played in 7 games last year & is relatively inexperienced being a sophomore. Scouts think he's got too much upside though, so who knows. 

I'm not a huge fan of Metcalf either, but I love the rest of that draft. 

Emmanuel Hall would be a good player to put in our offense, those linemen would instantly upgrade our front 5 by a huge factor, and Singletary is one of my favorite backs in the draft. 

If we trade down we are giving up a chance to draft a very good pass rushing DE or D. White. I have no doubt that there will be a opportunity to move down with the defensive talent that will be available at 9. I think the question for the GM is are you willing to trade down to get good offensive talent or stay at 9 and take elite defensive talent.

21 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

If we trade down we are giving up a chance to draft a very good pass rushing DE or D. White. I have no doubt that there will be a opportunity to move down with the defensive talent that will be available at 9. I think the question for the GM is are you willing to trade down to get good offensive talent or stay at 9 and take elite defensive talent.

Who was all pro rookie last year? Second rounder. Let’s slide down get more talent at more positions. 

10 hours ago, Elite Poster said:

The defensive backs are a position they have nailed. However, they did let a first team all pro CB walk and I have a feeling we are getting a first round CB this year.

In terms of Foster, you can thank Daboll who BTW, is probably my favorite coach on the team. 

For me, the book is still out on Dawkins and Milano. They played some great games last year but they also had some really tough games too. Let's not forget. 

I would be furious if the Bills invested a first round pick in a corner. We already have one stud and Beane has proven he can find gems for scraps. Taron Johnson is a fantastic nickel corner. The Bills need to address the defensive line this offseason, but I'm not concerned with any other position on that side of the ball.

As far as Milano goes, I feel like we're watching two different players. The guy is all over the field. He's not perfect as he isn't great at holding up at the point of attack, but he flies around, makes plays behind the LOS, and is terrific in pass pro. The perfect OLB in today's NFL.

Edited by BillsSB2020
  • Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, T master said:

I think depending on who is gone i would want to take the best O line player available with the first pick, I know they say not to draft for need but the BPA that may be the scenario but i would hope to get either the O lineman from Bama or the one from the Gators if they are still there simply because then you could have a guy to stick with Josh for a long while ...

Normally, I'd agree, especially with the state of their OL and the history of this team's OL woes.

But I'm looking at what they are getting.

Dillard could be the best pass blocking LT to come out this year.  I  was very impressed with him at the Senior Bowl. Great feet, great movement.

Bradbury is the best C and maybe the best interior lineman in the draft. Very athletic with underrated strength.

I don't think either of these guys gave up a sack this year. Both a supposedly very smart.

If...and its an if...they say, get Williams from Carolina and he's healthy..the new OL Dawkins gets move to G and the new OL looks like this:

LT HIllard

LG Dawkins

C Bradbury

RG - X

RT Williams

That's a really good, young base for a new OL. No more scrap heap guys on their 3rd or 4th team, no more late round rookies who are being counted on to play like a first rounder. You've probably just bought Allen an extra second or 2 on a typical pass play.

Metcalf is almost a bonus...and a guy with the potential to be a franchise WR is a pretty good bonus.

On the downside...neither guy may be there in the 2nd. There a really good chance at a run on OL in the mid-late 2st and top of the second. These guys, plus Williams, Risner, Cody Ford, Taylor, Lindstrom and David Edwards could be gone. So I think you're right to an extent. I'm just looking at this for what it is, a mock draft where they are available.

I'd take it in a second.

5 hours ago, T master said:

Because if he is running like he had to last year he can't really develop as a passer & there is a bigger possibility of him getting hurt while doing so .

And to your comment on being "far more Bills Like" i think those days are behind us this regime unlike many others from the past seem to have a good plan in place & have implemented it as we can see because of the amount of cap space there is so i hope as i said those days are behind us !!  

I don't know if "those days are behind us" because outside of drafting Allen, they haven't done much on the offensive side of the ball.  A lot of missteps at WR, an OL that's been neglected over 2 years and actually made worse. 

They most definitely have something to prove on offense before anyone can say they are different than past regimes.

15 hours ago, Elite Poster said:

Debatable. Trading up for Zay was horrible, trading up for Tremaine is looking like it was not the right move either. Trading for KB was a disaster. Mike Tolbert as RB2 was a mess. Highly overpaid for Star who was decent, and Trent who was never available and average at best. Going into the year with ONLY Peterman in front of Allen, are you kidding me???!!! Josh Allen was not supposed to start this early, lack of depth and veteran experience at QB thrust him in immediately. 

Not paying Richie was idiotic. Opened a hole when they did not have to undercut him. Bodine and Groy as your centers when you had 7 months to prepare for Wood leaving? What a mess. How in the world do you have a 2 year PLANNED set of moves to get a franchise QB and go backwards with OL the entire time.

Don't even get me started on letting Robert Woods walk and creating yet another hole. $7 million was a freaking bargain for him, these guys need to understand positional inflation. We are now paying more, 2 years later, for an average DE who can't finish a game. 

Rick Dennison. Enough said. In two straight years, they had an old player QUIT football before finishing the season. They can't even gauge whether these guys want to play anymore. 

They are good coaches but in terms of acqu

Let’s overlook the hyperbole and revised history for a minute and at least acknowledge the Bills were in Cap Hell yet managed to asssemble one of the most talented defenses in the league, drafted a potential franchise QB, has likely the best cap flexibility for the next two years, has a stable front office and coaching contingent and overall has drafted very well, while picking up a few great UDFA. 

Every team in the league has a few FA misses but even the worst have been no more but a temporary disappointment and most of the draft picks are contributing.  The Edmunds comment is disqualifying and Star is very underrated by fans. 

Woods?  Please. He didn’t want to stay here and while a decent reciever you seem to be forgetting the salary cap history. 

5 hours ago, Franchiseneedsme said:

If the Bill's fix OL in FA and we had this same draft

1. Metcalf 

2A.  Irving Smith JR

2B. Hollywood Brown

That would be so much fun to watch if added with Allen.

It seems to me that Brown is Tavon Austin 2.0, and with a Liz Franc injury, no thank you.

21 hours ago, CommonCents said:

Yeah let’s pat them on the back for exposing Foster to waivers. It’s a whew moment, not an oh boy we really nailed this one. 

His turn around was incredible, after his first few weeks everyone wanted him gone. Still, the guys that get paid get credit for what they do and don’t do, as fans we guess from miles away. If I’m paying a bunches of coaches I want them to be able to see that Foster has something that the other guys don’t. Maybe he can add to the list of Romo, Harrison, and Arian Foster as best PS stories. 

Chad Hall was on a PS or two. 

They got lucky that he panned out.  I don't understand how you can point fingers at them saying it was a bad thing when the player was not the player he ended up being at the end of the season.  He made changes and the team saw these changes and brought him back.  They should be credited for seeing him make the changes.  He said it himself that he needed to be cut to make the proper adjustments.  I stated that it worked as a kick in the pants because nobody wanted him.  He was a nobody at the time.  

How can you blame a GM and coach for exposing a player to waivers when he showed he couldn't play with the opportunity that he had?  

That's just bs.  

Why don't we blame them for sending Cam and Ray Ray there too?  They were at the same level as Foster was at the time.  Just doesn't make sense man.  Your view is all hindsight.  What you wanted them to see in him, he finally showed them midseason when they brought him back.  That's where they get the credit that people are giving them, not at the beginning of the season when he was just another guy that was going to be cut.  

On 2/21/2019 at 5:17 AM, CommonCents said:

People are using it as an example that OBD knows what it’s doing. They let their best WR go it’s as simple as that. I’m trying to remember if they waived him and brought up Cam Phillips.

What would the reaction around here be if someone else put in a claim and Foster had the same second half for a different team? They would get destroyed around here for it, they got lucky. Exposing your best player at any position is certainly never acceptable.

That’s their job, coaching, evaluating, motivating, they thought Cam Phillips was the better option. So they missed something or simply failed to motivate Foster.

or

They were smart enough to realize that Foster had incredible potential......but needed seasoning.....and were smart enough to bring him to the practice squad instead of straight going away from him......

Does it really give fans legit pain to give any credit to this coaching staff for anything?