USA Today's 4-Round Mock - I'd be Thrilled

BigDingus

Just now, Buffalo30 said:

They did it when he was underachieving but they kept him on the squad.  It was more of a kick in the pants to get him motivated and it clearly worked.  After he came back, he was a different player.  

No that’s not how it works. They gave every other team a chance at picking him up for a drop in the bucket. It’s not like they had a bunch of talented WRs that pushed him off the roster. They had one of the worst WR groups and decided he was the one they would expose to waivers.

It was a terrible decision and they got lucky. 

56 minutes ago, Elite Poster said:

The defensive backs are a position they have nailed. However, they did let a first team all pro CB walk and I have a feeling we are getting a first round CB this year.

In terms of Foster, you can thank Daboll who BTW, is probably my favorite coach on the team. 

For me, the book is still out on Dawkins and Milano. They played some great games last year but they also had some really tough games too. Let's not forget. 

I'll be shocked if they draft a CB in the 1st or 2nd round. PFF gave Levi Wallace the highest grade of any rookie CB in 2018, including the 1st round picks. I bet Daboll had something to do with that.

1 hour ago, BigDingus said:

"Bills-like" would be using a first round pick on a defensive player when we have the #2 ranked defense overall & the 30th ranked total offense with a young QB who lacks surrounding talent that you invested heavily in last year.

We very well could go defense this year with the 9th pick. IF they can't find a trade partner, which I believe is their first option, they have a major need at the penetrating DT spot.  If some of the top offensive players are picked ahead of us and some of those top DTs fall into our laps, I'd have no problem taking one.  They understand the need to bring more pressure with only a four man front when using a zone defense like we do.  I'd rather do that than reach for an offensive talent that clearly is not a top 10 talent.  Unfortunately, this class is defensively top heavy.  Now we will definitely see players move up in the class as the combine and pro days arrive but let's not force a need and take a less talented player when at 9 when we have many other picks.  We had success finding undrafted free agents too last year.  The wide receiver and tight end positions in this class are quite deep along with a few other positions we have needs at so there's really no need to force the issue at 9. 

7 minutes ago, CommonCents said:

No that’s not how it works. They gave every other team a chance at picking him up for a drop in the bucket. It’s not like they had a bunch of talented WRs that pushed him off the roster. They had one of the worst WR groups and decided he was the one they would expose to waivers.

It was a terrible decision and they got lucky. 

He had 2 catches for 30 yards in 6 games on an offense where he could have easily taken over the 1st WR role if he played well in that span, later he did so.  I don't see any team that was looking to scoop a player off of our WR group from the beginning of last season.  He showed he could drop the ball really well if you remember.  It wasn't until after he came back that the light came on.  How is that a bad decision if the guy showed nothing?  He completely did a 180 which worked out well but to point fingers at them and say it was a bad decision based on what he had shown to that point is just hindsight BS.  

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Buffalo30 said:

He had 2 catches for 30 yards in 6 games on an offense where he could have easily taken over the 1st WR role if he played well in that span, later he did so.  I don't see any team that was looking to scoop a player off of our WR group from the beginning of last season.  He showed he could drop the ball really well if you remember.  It wasn't until after he came back that the light came on.  How is that a bad decision if the guy showed nothing?  He completely did a 180 which worked out well but to point fingers at them and say it was a bad decision based on what he had shown to that point is just hindsight BS.  

People are using it as an example that OBD knows what it’s doing. They let their best WR go it’s as simple as that. I’m trying to remember if they waived him and brought up Cam Phillips.

What would the reaction around here be if someone else put in a claim and Foster had the same second half for a different team? They would get destroyed around here for it, they got lucky. Exposing your best player at any position is certainly never acceptable.

That’s their job, coaching, evaluating, motivating, they thought Cam Phillips was the better option. So they missed something or simply failed to motivate Foster.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, CommonCents said:

People are using it as an example that OBD knows what it’s doing. They let their best WR go it’s as simple as that. I’m trying to remember if they waived him and brought up Cam Phillips.

What would the reaction around here be if someone else put in a claim and Foster had the same second half for a different team? They would get destroyed around here for it, they got lucky. Exposing your best player at any position is certainly never acceptable.

That’s their job, coaching, evaluating, motivating, they thought Cam Phillips was the better option. So they missed something or simply failed to motivate Foster.

No, it's not as simple as that because he wasn't their best WR at the time.  He was one of the worst when they made that decision, so they expected no team to be interested which makes it a much safer move.  Here let me grab a wide receiver who produced nothing with every opportunity for a Buffalo team, produced nothing in college and had an injury history in college.  The only reason we even had the player is probably because of the Daboll connection.  

You're playing the if game which is a pointless one and you're saying he was our best WR in the beginning of the season which is false.  He had potential just like every NFL player does but he didn't play well until after returning later in the year.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Buffalo30 said:

No, it's not as simple as that because he wasn't their best WR at the time.  He was one of the worst when they made that decision, so they expected no team to be interested which makes it a much safer move.  Here let me grab a wide receiver who produced nothing with every opportunity for a Buffalo team, produced nothing in college and had an injury history in college.  The only reason we even had the player is probably because of the Daboll connection.  

You're playing the if game which is a pointless one and you're saying he was our best WR in the beginning of the season which is false.  He had potential just like every NFL player does but he didn't play well until after returning later in the year.

Sending a player to the practice squad isn’t how a team motivates a player. It’s a team admitting it’s okay with moving on without the player because once the move is made it’s out of there control. At some point they decided Ray Ray’s, Phillips, had better potential than Foster. That is a gross mistake and neither one of those guys have “potential” in the NFL, they are roster fillers. 

4 minutes ago, CommonCents said:

Sending a player to the practice squad isn’t how a team motivates a player. It’s a team admitting it’s okay with moving on without the player because once the move is made it’s out of there control. At some point they decided Ray Ray’s, Phillips, had better potential than Foster. That is a gross mistake and neither one of those guys have “potential” in the NFL, they are roster fillers. 

Robert Foster was in the same category as both Ray Ray and Phillips based on what he'd accomplished up to that point.  They were all roster fillers with potential to become something.  Foster ended up being the guy that did. What do you think the practice squad is used for?  Many teams use it for those type of players who haven't accomplished anything but have potential.  It's a stash system.  

You are still giving Foster the credit that he had accomplished something up to that point but he did not.  He was a practice squad type of player up to that point.  He proved that he wasn't a player that could produce in his first 6 games.  It wasn't until Mccoy talked with him and told him to step it up that he changed his approach.  Being cut added to that motivation.  Then, he became the player that we saw in the later part of the season.  Robert Foster even stated that he needed to be cut to become the player he did.  

• Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, CommonCents said:

What would the reaction around here be if someone else put in a claim and Foster had the same second half for a different team?

Does this mean all 32 NFL GMs are dumb because no one picked him up off waivers? He was terrible at the start of the season. No one predicted he would turn it around like that. I think it's the biggest in-season improvement I've ever seen to be honest.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Yeah, USA Today did right by the Bills.  The only player about whom I have some misgivings is Emmanuel Hall.  He's got speed to burn, but has a reputation for some drops.  But hey, it the 4th round you've got to take some chances.

5 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Does this mean all 32 NFL GMs are dumb because no one picked him up off waivers? He was terrible at the start of the season. No one predicted he would turn it around like that. I think it's the biggest in-season improvement I've ever seen to be honest.

Did the other 31 teams watch him practice/play and then watch the likes of RR and Cam Phillips and all the other bums? I don’t think anyone is dumb, I just think the Bills got lucky. It certainly wasn’t a kick in the ass, that’s not how the NFL works. When you hit waivers the team is ok with you going elsewhere. 

They are paid to coach/evaluate/motivate, Foster isn’t an example of them getting it right. He was sent packing. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, CommonCents said:

He was sent packing.

No he wasn't. He was put on the practice squad, developed, and came back to the roster. For years I've been waiting for the Bills to actually develop their own players, finally they do and the complaint is they screwed up by putting him on the practice squad. How many practice squad players are claimed by other teams in the middle of the season? It must be less than 1%. He was terrible and no one wanted him. His turnaround was incredible. Credit to Chad Hall and Daboll.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, HappyDays said:

No he wasn't. He was put on the practice squad, developed, and came back to the roster. For years I've been waiting for the Bills to actually develop their own players, finally they do and the complaint is they screwed up by putting him on the practice squad. How many practice squad players are claimed by other teams in the middle of the season? It must be less than 1%. He was terrible and no one wanted him. His turnaround was incredible. Credit to Chad Hall and Daboll.

Yeah let’s pat them on the back for exposing Foster to waivers. It’s a whew moment, not an oh boy we really nailed this one. 

His turn around was incredible, after his first few weeks everyone wanted him gone. Still, the guys that get paid get credit for what they do and don’t do, as fans we guess from miles away. If I’m paying a bunches of coaches I want them to be able to see that Foster has something that the other guys don’t. Maybe he can add to the list of Romo, Harrison, and Arian Foster as best PS stories. 

Chad Hall was on a PS or two. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I don’t see the Bills using that many picks. If they trade back, I’d expect trade ups later.  I used the draft value chart to keep it realistic and Easterling’s mock to get guys that he has available at those spots. Here are a couple of modifications that I’d like:

14 - D.K. Metcalf

40 - Garrett Bradbury 

45 - Andre Dillard

59 (trade 74, 105, 167) - Jaylon Ferguson

96 (trade 110, 124) - Elijah Holyfield

IMO, this would be a ridiculous draft. 

This was exactly what I was thinking.  If we traded back and picked up another 2nd rounder, I could definitely see them coming back up into the 1st round to get someone else they like.  They already have a lot of picks, and if they added more, we would be moving around again and again.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Do love the 2 second round picks - meh before and after. I am sure Metcalf will kill it during the combine since he is a physical beast - just not sure if that "beastness" transfers to ball skills, route running, separation etc. But if they do get Metcalf, I will be rooting for him to become the premier WR #1 of course.