Rumor that Russell Wilson could eventually go to NYG (update - Gives Seattle deadline of 4/15 for new deal)

YoloinOhio

27 minutes ago, Doc said:

All this to appease someone who he will probably divorce in a few years anyway?

Isn't it possible that like a ton of other athletes, he also would like to live in NYC? Professional athletes wanting to play in New York isn't exactly shocking. The fact that it also might help his wife's career is a bonus.

4 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

Isn't it possible that like a ton of other athletes, he also would like to live in NYC? Professional athletes wanting to play in New York isn't exactly shocking. The fact that it also might help his wife's career is a bonus.

He's just gonna play for the Yankees

With all their injuries right now he's probably a MLB starter for them ?

12 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

If I'm Seattle I make the deal to the Giants for Barkely, Two #1's this year and a second in 2020.

There is no way on God's green earth that neanderthal GM Dave Gettleman would  never trade his prized, franchise RB. He's more likely to tear up Barkley's contract and make him the highest paid player in the league than trade him for a franchise QB. Haven't you heard...it's 2019. Championships are built on the backs of stud RBs not QBs. Just ask Davey. He'll tell you, all the while extolling the virtues of the wishbone offense...

Russell Wilson is a top 5 QB. He dragged a ? roster to the playoffs last year. If Seattle doesn’t hand him a blank check they are morons.

With that being said, here’s my hypothetical trade that I think makes sense: Giants trade 6, 17, 2020 1st and Kevin Zeitler for Wilson. 

2 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

You can’t let things go this far with your star QB.  Gotta keep them happy.  Doesn’t seem like Seattle has tried very hard.  Wilson is extremely underpaid and they haven’t exactly surrounded him with offensive weapons.  

Quarterbacks who are paid their “fair” value invariably B word a season or two later when teams aren’t able to surround them with talent.

• Like (+1) 2

40 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

You can’t let things go this far with your star QB.  Gotta keep them happy.  Doesn’t seem like Seattle has tried very hard.  Wilson is extremely underpaid and they haven’t exactly surrounded him with offensive weapons.  

He signed 4 years and about 90 million with 32 guaranteed

He's not that underpaid

36 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

Quarterbacks who are paid their “fair” value invariably B word a season or two later when teams aren’t able to surround them with talent.

Agreed

Unless they are walking into a ready made team with a bunch of talent on cheap deals, they tend to suck up too much cap space

Look how the falcons and Ravens fell apart after signing their QBs

Just now, SouthNYfan said:

Agreed

Unless they are walking into a ready made team with a bunch of talent on cheap deals, they tend to suck up too much cap space

Look how the falcons and Ravens fell apart after signing their QBs

Damned if you do, damned if you don’t. Your only hope for sustained success, once you get your guy, is that he doesn’t feel the need to be highest paid as proof of ability. Those are rare, especially with agents and union whispering in ears. 

• Like (+1) 1

One of our board members linked to a great article about how teammates of Wilson's were more than a bit disgruntled and how the coaching staff and whole organization caters to Wilson...almost like a a softer precursor to Dunne's article on Rogers.

...that said, man, Russell does bring it.

1 hour ago, DCOrange said:

It’s very possible. However here it seems like he’s catering to his lady. He can play anywhere so might as well keep the wife happy. 

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Russell Wilson is a top 5 QB. He dragged a ? roster to the playoffs last year. If Seattle doesn’t hand him a blank check they are morons.

With that being said, here’s my hypothetical trade that I think makes sense: Giants trade 6, 17, 2020 1st and Kevin Zeitler for Wilson. 

Eli means they aren't trading for any QB starter.

2 hours ago, SouthNYfan said:

Agreed

It's going to be tough for them though

Letting him walk gets you a comp pick or two i think

As I said the problem is he's dictated where he wants to go already

That murders trade value if it's only one place because you have nobody else bidding

Why give up a kings random if you are the Giants, when you can just sign him next season?

Their team is a trainwreck so there's no urgency to get him this season

Seattle can tag Wilson for 1 year for sure and probably 2 years without cap issues.  I can’t see him leaving that kind of money on the table by not signing the tag.  He might not do it right away, but he’ll donor before the season.

if the Giants want him they’re going to have to give up some value.  They need him in the fold before camp be it this season or next.  And honestly, if it’s going to happen then now is the right time for both teams. Gettleman has extra draft capital this year and it will look like he had a plan all along if he brings Wilson in. Seattle isn’t winning anything this season with or without Wilson so they might was well go full rebuild now and add some draft capital (which they’re sorely lacking as of now). 

7 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Seattle can tag Wilson for 1 year for sure and probably 2 years without cap issues.  I can’t see him leaving that kind of money on the table by not signing the tag.  He might not do it right away, but he’ll donor before the season.

if the Giants want him they’re going to have to give up some value.  They need him in the fold before camp be it this season or next.  And honestly, if it’s going to happen then now is the right time for both teams. Gettleman has extra draft capital this year and it will look like he had a plan all along if he brings Wilson in. Seattle isn’t winning anything this season with or without Wilson so they might was well go full rebuild now and add some draft capital (which they’re sorely lacking as of now). 

Agreed

I think it's an interesting twist

Does he pull a leveon bell?

Who knows

38 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I don’t think that they are either but it is a huge mistake and may ultimately cost Gettleman his job. While Wilson is a top 5 QB today, Eli is a bottom 5 guy and 8 years older.

If I'm Gettleman, I'm trading for Rosen and letting him sit and learn all he can from Eli for 8 games to 1 year (if that wasn't obvious from our mock).

26 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

Agreed

I think it's an interesting twist

Does he pull a leveon bell?

Who knows

He’d be looking at a 1 year, $28M contract. I can’t imagine him sitting out with that on the table, but who knows?  There is one more twist: what about the potential lockout in 2021?  How does that play into this?  I don’t even think that Seattle could tag him a second time (for 2021) until the CBA is resolved.

If they’re going to move him, then the time is before the draft.  If they tag him and try to trade him next offseason who knows how much the uncertainty in 2021 will factor into his value.

• Like (+1) 1