Interesting point about Bills being in better position cap-wise than Jets

YoloinOhio

Basically, they have a low number of actual holes (mostly at TE and OL) and can spend more on actual upgrading positions with bringing in competition. Jets have to fill a ton of actual holes with that money as well as try to upgrade.

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 10

6 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:
... Basically, they have a low number of actual holes (mostly at TE and OL) and can spend more on actual upgrading positions with bringing in competition. Jets have to fill a ton of actual holes with that money as well as try to upgrade.

the only team in a better position than us, is the Colts.

This period of no free agents and tons of cap room is the brief upside of

1)Gilmore walking

2) EJ Manuel flaming out

3) Bob Woods not being retained

4) Trading away Watkins

5) Not having a 2015 first rounder 

6) Trading Darby

7) Shaq being a disappointment

The first rounder that was EJ would have been hitting UFA last offseason...........Bob Woods also didn't make it past first contract. 

Watkins would have been up for UFA this offseason had they picked up his option and retained him...........he signed for $16M per as an early UFA last year.

Darby is going to get paid well in FA this offseason.

The 2015 first rounder the Bills traded to move up in 2014 would have been entering his option year.........which would have been about $10M most likely.

Shaq being a disappointment makes the idea of not picking up his option or extending him now seem irrelevant but under better circumstances they would probably be trying to extend him to a big long term $10M-$15M per year deal now.

So that's how you end up with nobody to pay...........and of course a 6-10 team that lacks matchup winning talent.

Remains to be seen what they can get from free agency but we are seeing the brief upside of not succeeding in drafting guys who would become franchise cornerstones in the early rounds of the draft 3-5 seasons prior.

Also of note.........if White, Allen and Edmunds all pan out that's A LOT of huge contracts to come up with over the 2 year period of 2021-2022.

Wouldn't be a bad time to use a first rounder in trade to get a guy who you can get All Pro level play out of NOW while expensing it now as well.

Retaining 3 in 2 years will be hard.........especially with one potentially being a $30M player..........but retaining 4 in a 3 year span will be really difficult.

But hey, some of them may flame out.

If not it's a first world problem but it definitely should be part of the equation if the team is offered/puruses a stud player in trade this offseason.

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I prefer to look forward to what appears to be a real advantage rather than look backward at everything previous regimes have done wrong. Let’s figure out how to be the best team possible next year and in the years beyond. 

17 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

1)Gilmore walking

2) EJ Manuel flaming out

4) Trading away Watkins

6) Trading Darby

The first rounder that was EJ would have been hitting UFA last offseason...........Bob Woods also didn't make it past first contract. 

Watkins would have been up for UFA this offseason had they picked up his option and retained him...........he signed for $16M per as an early UFA last year.

The 2015 first rounder the Bills traded to move up in 2014 would have been entering his option year.........which would have been about $10M most likely.

Shaq being a disappointment makes the idea of not picking up his option or extending him now seem irrelevant but under better circumstances they would probably be trying to extend him to a big long term $10M-$15M per year deal now.

So that's how you end up with nobody to pay...........and of course a 6-10 team that lacks matchup winning talent.

Remains to be seen what they can get from free agency but we are seeing the brief upside of not succeeding in drafting guys who would become franchise cornerstones in the early rounds of the draft 3-5 seasons prior.

Also of note.........if White, Allen and Edmunds all pan out that's A LOT of huge contracts to come up with over the 2 year period of 2021-2022.

Wouldn't be a bad time to use a first rounder in trade to get a guy who you can get All Pro level play out of NOW while expensing it now as well.

Retaining 3 in 2 years will be hard.........especially with one potentially being a $30M player..........but retaining 4 in a 3 year span will be really difficult.

If not it's a first world problem but it definitely should be part of the equation if the team is offered/puruses a stud player in trade this offseason.

This is a real factor going forward. I hope we have a ton of studs and have to decide who to pay, rather than signing a bunch of duds for too much. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 3

Well the Jets did mortgage their depth  (and create holes this offseason) by forsaking all those draft picks to the Colts to move up to get Darnold. The Colts, on the other hand, made out like bandits - they have cap space and very few holes.

Glad we did not move up to 3 - the price would have been astronomical. Also lucked out Denver wanted Chubb. That brought the move up price down even further. 

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

1)Gilmore walking

2) EJ Manuel flaming out

4) Trading away Watkins

6) Trading Darby

Obviously, Buffalo's current circumstances, cap wise, are due to past decisions, including many failures.  Most of those are pre-McBeane.  Given the present circumstances, it is up to Bean and McDermott to take advantage and leverage the benefits of all that cap space to set up the team for long term success.

1)Gilmore walking

2) EJ Manuel flaming out

4) Trading away Watkins

6) Trading Darby

Blah Blah Blah

The last time I responded to a post like this one I ended up with a warning for abusive behavior (which I may have deserved). I was just giving my honest advice to someone who claimed to be be a fan but held a similar negative and and depressing outlook on things. So my reaction to your long post will be softer.  I ask you to go back through your post (which was very long so you must truly care) and ask yourself the following questions:

1. Which of these decisions were Beane and McD responsible for

2. Would it have been prudent or possible to resign any of these players 

3. Were any of these players that are still on the roster better on 2018 than 2017

4. Were there any positive player moves (hint: Getting a 3rd for Tyrod) that you are neglecting to consider

Hopefully you will find that more moves made by Beane have been positive rather than negative. I'm hoping that you will see like most folks on this site that a huge cleanup job was performed last year in addition to solidifying our QB situation. 2019 will be a year where essential elements are added to the team and 2020 we're back and no longer an afterthought on the NFL Network. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

I thought that was the case.....

The jets might have more cap space....but they are also going to have the most turnover if they dont sign their own players....which is hardly EVER a good thing.

I said in another thread we are ahead in the rebuild.  They replaced their coaching staff so scheme changes coming.

1 hour ago, TigerJ said:

Obviously, Buffalo's current circumstances, cap wise, are due to past decisions, including many failures.  Most of those are pre-McBeane.  Given the present circumstances, it is up to Bean and McDermott to take advantage and leverage the benefits of all that cap space to set up the team for long term success.

Yeah my point was to explain how they got there and look objectively at the opportunity cost to getting where they are now.........with all of the cap space and lack of free agents.

For instance.......Gilmore is the best CB in the NFL now...........Bob Woods had more receiving yards last year in LA than any Bills WR has had since Lee Evans had over 1200 yards playing with JP Losman at QB in 2006.........Gilmore and Woods matched up in the SB.

So after losing guys who went on to bigger and better things.....yes, McBeane need to make this opportunity pay off...........the Bills need to re-infuse talent they let get away......which isn't going to be easy.

There is a reason why Beane so heavily emphasizes the importance of keeping their own players after he went thru an offseason where some UFA's just said "nah" to joining a perceived re-build in Buffalo.  

Hopefully the increased stability at QB helps their sales pitch this offseason but there will be a lot of teams with a lot of money.    It's not like it was 10 years ago where only a handful of teams had significant cap room to spend in FA each offseason.   There will be competition...........they need to do a lot better job identifying value than last years signings.

But no excuses.......they need to turn those cap dollars saved into talent.

And I specifically mentioned trades because that is a good way to force some talent onto the roster that otherwise might never even consider Buffalo as a UFA.    

2 hours ago, Augie said:

I prefer to look forward to what appears to be a real advantage rather than look backward at everything previous regimes have done wrong. Let’s figure out how to be the best team possible next year and in the years beyond. 

Ok then.

Let's look forward so we can figure out how to be the best team possible next year and in years beyond.

What's your offseason strategy?   You got some specific targets in mind for all that cap room?  Draft ideas?  Trades? 

No??

Btw........I've been thinking for a while about going into the Sabres thread on OTW and posting stuff like you just wrote 3x per day just to mess with K9 and Plenz(who take their Pegulaville Tankres VERY seriously:lol:).............like you with the Bills I literally have no specific personnel suggestion/opinions as to what the Sabres need to do at this point............I just choose to focus on the positive:thumbsup:........a future where they are good and I haven't invested any time watching them struggle to escape their self-inflicted tank-mode-culture. 

Edited by BADOLBILZ

Ok then.

Let's look forward so we can figure out how to be the best team possible next year and in years beyond.

What's your offseason strategy?   You got some specific targets in mind for all that cap room?  Draft ideas?  Trades? 

No??

Btw........I've been thinking for a while about going into the Sabres thread on OTW and posting stuff like you just wrote 3x per day just to mess with K9 and Plenz(who take their Pegulaville Tankres VERY seriously:lol:).............like you with the Bills I literally have no specific personnel suggestion/opinions as to what the Sabres need to do at this point............I just choose to focus on the positive:thumbsup:........a future where they are good and I haven't invested any time watching them struggle to escape their self-inflicted tank-mode-culture. 

I don’t pretend to have all the answers, but........ That’s not my job!  This is the time of year I listen to all the discussions about free agents and draft prospects. I try to get a little education and start to form opinions, and maybe begin to guess what the FO might be thinking. 

Here’s the thing.....I know that whatever I think....it doesn’t matter! I’m not certain of anything regarding the Bills other than I don’t get to, or have to, make any of the calls. It’s all on them and they will survive and thrive, or be let go, based upon how they fare. 

Like you, I see it as entertainment and not the end of the world. But I’m not going to let it upset me too much if they stumble. I’m not going to say I’m smarter than they are, because I’m not. It will be what it will be, and I’ll hope for the best. There are some things I don’t like, but I also realize that I don’t know everything they know. If I were paid the millions they get to make these calls, I KNOW I could not do a better job even if I was consumed with it. I’m smart enough to know that I’m not in that league. If you are, and you’re posting here that you could do better across the board, you missed your calling.  

But by all means, if you have the answers, please tell us exactly what they should do to win the next Super Bowl. 

Be honest, do you really not have any idea how you come off? Is that intentional? I know it’s not all perfect, but why lean so heavily toward the negative. Why intentionally blame previous FO mistakes on the current guys? (See above.) Are you like that in all facets of life? I’m just curious.  I encourage you to be you, but I’m struggling to understand.  We’re all different, and that’s a good thing for the most part. 

I like our general direction, and I’ll just be happy with that. 

Have a great night. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1