Leveon Bell will officially hit the open market, reportedly wants 50 mill in 1st 2 years of deal

YoloinOhio

I HATE PEOPLE THAT WANT MONEY.

If this is even true.. why not start hella high at the negotiating table and work your way down from there lol.

But the nerve of this guy. Asking for a bunch of money as he hits a FA market. Where does he get off. Who does he think he is.

I don't begrudge Bell making the decision he made, but I think it will end up costing him money. This is a ""test case"  for the players, and I cannot envision any team giving up the guaranteed money that he is looking for.

12 hours ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

FWIW, this is what he turned down:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/leveon-bell-reportedly-turned-down-a-monstrous-70-million-deal-from-the-steelers/

I doubt if his new contract will be significantly better than what he turned down in Pittsburgh. The were offering him 33 mill guaranteed and 14 mill per for 5 years. he wanted a minimum of 17 mill per. 

That is why I think something like 4 years 60 mill with 35+ mill guaranteed will be somewhat palatable to him and not unreasonable to the Bills (if they want Bell). 

There can also be some kind of injury guarantee (say an additional 7-8 mill) to make the contract more attractive.

I don't think it's quite as clear as all that.

There's a report out that the Steelers offer only had $10 mill fully guaranteed. If so, that would make it much more understandable that he turned it down.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/07/17/report-final-leveon-bell-offer-had-10m-fully-guaranteed/ 

Can't imagine him getting $50 mill in the first two years. But why not throw out some crazy numbers this early. If he believes it, he'll be disappointed, but maybe he's just starting to frame the discussion to his advantage.

Edited by Thurman#1

On 2/20/2019 at 7:25 PM, dneveu said:

So Gurley got 4 years 57.5 (around 14 per) with 45 guaranteed.  Bell's 2 years older and didn't play for a year.  Should be interesting.  

I'm thinking Jets...?

Bell is a far better player than Gurley. He is offers more all round play.

On 2/20/2019 at 8:17 PM, BuffAlone said:

Yeah, they are strapped for cash. Gonna be hard to sign a guy like John Brown unless they get real creative, which would likely only hurt them down the road. But again, as you said, Ben might have a couple years left unless he decides to bail. Maybe one more run for them, but unless their draft class makes an immediate impact this year, or even next, they seem like they're on their way downhill, relatively speaking.

IMO of course...

They seem to be able to find WRs

44 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

They seem to be able to find WRs

That does seem true. The Steelers of this century anyway...of course the 70's had a great team. But Ward in the 3rd, AB in the 6th were great finds. Of course Burress and Juju were more than just finds as they went in the 1st and 2nd, respectively. I think a lot of their success came from having the right QB and scheme tho. I couldn't tell ya the names of any WR from the 80's to the drafting of Big Ben, or what kind of stats they had. Big Ben had a big role in turning those mid to late round picks into superstars IMO. And once he retires, I'd be surprised if Juju has NEAR the success with Rudolph as his QB. 

16 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

In two of the games he played this year he either came out very early (first quarter; vs Denver; hamstring) or after one play (Rams; foot). 

In the 8 full games he played last season, he had 39 catches for 511 yards, which extrapolates to 78 catches for 1,022 yards. 

I mean - hes good for what... 8 full games, 2 or 3 games that he leaves after 1 play, and 5 games that he's just straight out for.  

Definitely worth 18 mil a year.

42 minutes ago, BuffAlone said:

That does seem true. The Steelers of this century anyway...of course the 70's had a great team. But Ward in the 3rd, AB in the 6th were great finds. Of course Burress and Juju were more than just finds as they went in the 1st and 2nd, respectively. I think a lot of their success came from having the right QB and scheme tho. I couldn't tell ya the names of any WR from the 80's to the drafting of Big Ben, or what kind of stats they had. Big Ben had a big role in turning those mid to late round picks into superstars IMO. And once he retires, I'd be surprised if Juju has NEAR the success with Rudolph as his QB. 

One of the few steelers I can instantly name is Gregg Lloyd.  One beast of a LB.

Had to look it up 

Yancy Thigpen

John Stallworth

Antwan Randall El

There are a few but not AB caliber unless you count Swann as he played 2 years.

Edited by formerlyofCtown

7 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

One of the few steelers I can instantly name is Gregg Lloyd.  One beast of a LB.

Had to look it up 

Yancy Thigpen

John Stallworth

Antwan Randall El

There are a few but not AB caliber unless you count Swann as he played 2 years.

Yeah, I knew Swann and Stalworth of course. But Thigpen and Randle El were average, or at least not on par to the others from Big Ben's tenure. Which makes me wonder if Juju is gonna be the same post Roethlisburger. 

Loved me some Greg Lloyd! You're right,he WAS a beast! But I was just talking about WR's

2 hours ago, The Senator said:

Well, in negotiations they say, ‘what you don’t ask for, you won’t get.’

In Bell’s case, what he’s asking for, he won’t get.

I sure hope the Bills dont get him. I realize his potential but its tough to tie up so much money on a non-premium position. Plus, RBs get hit a lot and prone to injury. That money should be allocated to more pressing needs at positions of impact such as WR, TE, DE and OL. 

4 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

I sure hope the Bills dont get him. I realize his potential but its tough to tie up so much money on a non-premium position. Plus, RBs get hit a lot and prone to injury. That money should be allocated to more pressing needs at positions of impact such as WR, TE, DE and OL. 

I wouldn’t worry.  As you point out, the Bills have so many needs, they’re not going to even consider a prima donna RB with attitude problems, who hasn’t played football in over a year.

11 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

If we are guessing where he lands, I could see him in KC to replace Kareem Hunt

The vibe I get is that KC doesn't value the RB position that way. Think they're more likely to just draft another rookie than to sign a big name like Bell.

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 2/20/2019 at 1:03 PM, whatdrought said:

I would agree with this, except for the existence of the New York Jets. He will get a filthy contract from them because that GM needs to keep his job. 

I saw a story saying the Jets are questioning his conditioning. Most likely trying to drive the price down.  You know he will be looking for fully guaranteed just like Antonio Brown. Very risky for an RB.